Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Question about connectivity

prometheus1351

Join
Jan 26, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I just got a mavic pro not that long ago then came across a deal on the Spark that was too good to pass up... so now I have both! So far everything is working well but I'm curious and having trouble understanding how things are connected with the spark, my phone, and the remote controller... I'm hoping you guys could shed some light:

When I start up I connect to something via wifi on my phone. Am I connecting to the drone's wifi signal or is this connecting to the RC?

Can I use a cable to connect my phone and RC instead of wifi?

I haven't played with gesture mode yet but I saw reviews on the gesture mode and palm launch. Can this be done without connecting to anything to my phone or the remote controller? If so, how does it handle RTH or if it doesn't see you anymore?

I guess that's it for now... I may end up adding some more questions later. Thanks in advance.

Hi)
You should connect the phone to RC and RC will connect to your spark) follow the instructions in DJI app)

Yes, you can fly without anything, just watch manual videos before doing that to understand how to call the spark back)
Double tap of power button when you hold the spark in you hand and it will scan your face and take off) but before watch teaching videos and do it outside, not at home)

When I start up I connect to something via wifi on my phone. Am I connecting to the drone's wifi signal or is this connecting to the RC?

If the WiFi point is "SparkRC", then you are connected to the RC. This is the better connection method.

Can I use a cable to connect my phone and RC instead of wifi?

Different people have different experience, but the official answer is NO. It was never advertised or supported by DJI. Even if it does work, it may cease to work after an update. I find my life far less stressful by just using WiFi as designed.

I haven't played with gesture mode yet but I saw reviews on the gesture mode and palm launch. Can this be done without connecting to anything to my phone or the remote controller? If so, how does it handle RTH or if it doesn't see you anymore?

Yes, gesture mode can be used without connecting to a phone or the RC, but you must first enable it via the phone app. In gesture mode it will only fly a maximum of 20ft away, and 20ft up. It is really slow to respond to actions, and it is rather gimmicky. I'm almost certain you will use it once then never again. RTH when it loses sight of you will be to slowly descend in place, then hover for a bit, then land. I know this, because this happened to me.

Palm launch is the only "gesture" feature I use with some regularity.

NOTE: From my experience, I do NOT recommend ever using it without a device connected, as a failsafe. Mine glitched and flew away from me at top speed, I could not chase it, crashing quite a distance later. DO NOT ever use this mode around any public bystanders.

T
If the WiFi point is "SparkRC", then you are connected to the RC. This is the better connection method.

Different people have different experience, but the official answer is NO. It was never advertised or supported by DJI. Even if it does work, it may cease to work after an update. I find my life far less stressful by just using WiFi as designed.

Yes, gesture mode can be used without connecting to a phone or the RC, but you must first enable it via the phone app. In gesture mode it will only fly a maximum of 20ft away, and 20ft up. It is really slow to respond to actions, and it is rather gimmicky. I'm almost certain you will use it once then never again. RTH when it loses sight of you will be to slowly descend in place, then hover for a bit, then land. I know this, because this happened to me.

Palm launch is the only "gesture" feature I use with some regularity.

NOTE: From my experience, I do NOT recommend ever using it without a device connected, as a failsafe. Mine glitched and flew away from me at top speed, I could not chase it, crashing quite a distance later. DO NOT ever use this mode around any public bystanders.
Thank you to everyone that responded but this response in particular was exactly the info I was looking for... Thanks superphreak!

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Glad I could help. As long as you dont think this is a mini Mavic, this can be a fun drone to fly. I find myself just burning batteries zooming around in Sport mode. It's a hoot!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef