Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Question: Current state of the art?

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
Hi all, I am newer than new to all this, but I've done a lot of reading, searching and viewing videos on all things Spark. The tracking number says I should get mine sometime Monday or Tuesday and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible so I can get right to it. Searching these and other forums on certain subjects shows a lot of info, but much of it dates back to January of this year and earlier, so I thought I'd ask about the current state of the following:

1. Any issues with current release of Go 4 app for Android in general?
2. Any issues with current versions of Spark firmware (drone and RC)?
3. Is OTG now working with Android 8 (Oreo)? I understand this can be phone-dependent and I have an LG V20 or a Samsung S6 Edge+ I can use.
4. Is it better to use one 64GB or two 32GB micro-SD cards (one at a time, of course) from DJI's approved list?

Last year there were many complaints regarding these issues, but users are more liable to post when things don't work than when they do. I appreciate any and all pointers you can share.

Last edited:
1) I am not a hater of Android but I still read a LOT of issues with it more so than iOS.
And I have been arround here since October 2017.

2) There are a few issues where the Spark hits YAW Errors and that goes into multiple errors after that kicking it into ATTI mode but the cause and frequency of the issue has not been nailed down yet.
You will not see these errors displayed, just erratic behavior.
Need to read tthe logs to see the evidence.
For months and months I flew without issue until this past week.
After confirming the logs, I re-calibrated the compass and then flew without issues.

3) OTG to Android has been working for over a year now.

4) The more, smaller cards the better.
At least one 16Gb per battery is the suggestion.
Even more than that for multiple shots per battery.
Use a different Micro SD card every time you go up in a multiple flight per battery situation is ideal.

The reasoning behind it is if something goes wrong and you lose your drone, all you lost was that flight and not other video from other flights.

Learned that from the DJI Photo Academy I attended.
One of the swag bag gifts was an 8 Micro SD card holder in the size and shape of a rigid business card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jointeffort
I'm thinking the Iphone is the better choice. I have a android tablet and a LG phone and I'm not thrilled with the performance of either. When it's extremely hot (100f or so) my Iphone will dim when under a load like DJI go4, and there is nothing I can do about it as far as I know, but that is the only issue I have with it.
Good suggestion about the smaller card. I had downloaded every thing good to my computer after most flights and then lost the computer so you might consider that situation too.

Reactions: pmshop
Thank you both for the feedback. It's good to know the OTG issue has likely passed. I'll try the latest iteration of Go 4 and see how it goes.

I like my LG V20 as a cell phone because it's one of the last that had a user replaceable battery and expandable memory. I may dedicate the Samsung S6 Edge+ strictly to the Spark. At least it's on the DJI compatibility list, though it's certainly not bleeding edge these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast