Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Questions... sport mode, wind, drift....wine...

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Hi all. Okay, first, let me admit I have had a beverage or two.... so, when I searched, I might have glazed over the answers.... (Occifer, I am not as think as you drunk I am!):eek:

I have just completed flights 29 to 31 with my beloved Spark (yay!). I have 15km under my props, which is not much, but that's all relative eh?... since May 31 or so. Its been a learning and sharing experience so far, you have all graciously forgiven my endless serires of trees and farmland... *thank you thank you thank you... All of that so far has been nearly entirely in GPS mode. I have now ventured into Sport, and noticed something today I had not seen so much before.

When flying out over my forest today, which was quite windy earlier... (borderline dont fly) I was using Sport mode, but not full throttle all of the time, and noted that I appeared to be drifting a little to one side as I moved forward (I was flying south, the screen showed a little drift to the east as I went along), to the extent that I had to make a minor course direction. Back in GPS mode, not an issue.

Is that to be expected? I have not calibrated for some time, I check sensors before every take off, all looked good today... like any other day. I have the luxury of wide open sparsley populated lands to fly around, so I have not encountered any requests to calibrate. I did get a couple of wind warnings over my three flights this weekend... at diffferent altitudes... I am going to review the logs (with tomorrow's coffee in hand, not tonight's merlot).

Thanks all... now, tarbender, make mine a duzzle!:p:D

You know what they say about drinking and driving! Anyways, the sideways probably secondary to the ac adjusting to a crosswind. Keepi in mind that fi you think its too windy on the ground its a lot windier aloft. Avoid flying back in to the winds if your at distance from home point.

Last edited:
The next thing is that you are going to try some mod to get maximum speed and try to see if you can fly your Spark to Toronto and back. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

You know what they say about drinking and driving! Anyways, the sideways probably secondary to the ac adjusting to a crosswind. Keepi in mind that fi you think its too windy on the ground its a lot windier aloft. Avoid flying back in to the winds if your at distance from home point.

Ya, I always review UAVForecast to get the wind profile all the way up... it was borderline, but I've been up on similar days, but not in sport mode, and saw no drift. The wind was blowing from the west, so that would explain a little of the drift, I just thought the GPS lock would be stronger when in Sportmode. Thanks for the comments Bob.., appreciated.

And, the drinking was after the flying! o_O Starting the mission into the wind is always the best policy, so one has the tail wind on the way back home. Good advice for all.

Reactions: tmarez
The next thing is that you are going to try some mod to get maximum speed and try to see if you can fly your Spark to Toronto and back. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Well, if I could ride along with it, that 5 hour drive would be a thing of the past! (would need to be one hell of a mod!)

Reactions: DSLeach
And, the drinking was after the flying!

Good advice.:)

It may be tempting when hanging out with the gang and decide, "I'm cool, I only had a few" and sneak in a quick flight with the guys.

Remove the props from the Spark.... don't forget the spares, and give them to the designated "driver" for the duration of good times.

Fly safe.:cool:

You probably list to one side when you “Cut the Cheese”, so Rue-Be-Red flew with a tilt !!!
I blame the pilot for any drift when I fly in sport mode, the sticks are so sensitive. I have learned not to fly near anything in sport mode.

You probably list to one side when you “Cut the Cheese”, so Rue-Be-Red flew with a tilt !!!
I blame the pilot for any drift when I fly in sport mode, the sticks are so sensitive. I have learned not to fly near anything in sport mode.
It WAS windy, ha ha! You are probably right, I probably had my thumb on the stick without realizing it was moving ever so slightly to the left.

Prop damage is another potential source of drift. Close physical inspection could find some minor damage. Warps or bends even harder too detect. You should have a spare set of props - maybe give those a try for comparison.

Definitely a great suggestion, will do an inspection, these have 31 flights on them, I am pretty careful, but have cut grass once or twice.... I do have a spare set. Going to purchase more I think...

How often do you all change your props?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar