Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Registration Numbers

Ranger

Join
Mar 14, 2019
After getting my Part 107 certification, I went to DroneZone expecting to get a registration number starting with "N". Paid $5.00 and got a second number for my Spark that begins "FA". I am in the Part 107 tab at DroneZone for sure, and my 336 tab has my older number correctly listed. I plan to replace the sticker on the AC with the newer number and fly commercially. Do Part 107 numbers begin with "FA"?

Last edited:
Same here.
Hobbyist flyer, and my number starts with FA too.

Reactions: Ranger
All hobbyist registrations (Section 336) start with "FA".

Reactions: Andre Levite
I’m not sure the type of drone registration matters for the registration number. I have a Part 107 certificate, my drone registration number begins with FA, but I fly this drone basically for fun. They have no idea that a drone is going to be flown for recreation or profit, and I don’t think (for registration purposes) they care as long as they get their $5.

Don't know why the OP was expecting something different like a Nxxxxx number?
Before FAA registration numbers were available, the only option was to apply for an N-Number. Currently, an N-Number is only required if:
  • Your unmanned aircraft is 55 pounds or greater
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States
  • You hold title to an aircraft in trust
  • The small unmanned aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements

Before FAA registration numbers were available, the only option was to apply for an N-Number. Currently, an N-Number is only required if:
  • Your unmanned aircraft is 55 pounds or greater
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States
  • You hold title to an aircraft in trust
  • The small unmanned aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements

So the N stands for Not Many Pilots on this Forum

Thanks again;)

Reactions: BigAl07
After getting my Part 107 certification, I went to DroneZone expecting to get a registration number starting with "N". Paid $5.00 and got a second number for my Spark that begins "FA". I am in the Part 107 tab at DroneZone for sure, and my 336 tab has my older number correctly listed. I plan to replace the sticker on the AC with the newer number and fly commercially. Do Part 107 numbers begin with "FA"?

My registration number starts with FA. I registered before I received my 107. It did not change. This number is separate from your 107 certificate number that you will receive about 6 weeks after you pass the test.

Let's take a moment and clear the air just a bit...

First off your Registration # and your Part 107 are not "linked" in any way what-so-ever. You can have a Part 107 and never register a sUAS under Commercial. Many people have their P107 but they fly a company/dept sUAS so they never need to register themselves. If you "change" from Hobby to Commercial you'll need to go to the FAA Drone Zone and get a new Commercial/Non-Hobby Registration # and apply it to your aircraft (remove hobby #). Both CAN start with FA#######

Secondly if you fly your aircraft even only for a SINGLE non-Hobby flight (Commercial, SAR etc) it must have a Registration # from the FAA within the Non-Hobby section (not 336). Non-Hobby registration #'s are unique to an exact aircraft (if applicable tied to a Serial #). In contrast Hobby registration is for the operator and the SAME Reg# can be placed on ALL sUAS that are flown strictly for hobby. For instance I'm fortunate to have over 25 sUAS in my "stable" and 22 of them have the exact same Reg# (Hobby) on all of them. I have 3 that "might" fly for non-hobby and they all have their individual/unique Reg #.

A Non-Hobby aircraft (Commercial, Govt etc) could have an N# or an FAA#. As stated above you "CAN" go the N# route but I highly suggest NOT going that route. It's a lot of paperwork, a lot of time, and a lot of HASSLE if you sell, give away, or lose your aircraft. It involved several forms, signatures, and a NOTARY when you can do the same thing (same price) in a matter of seconds at the FAA DRONE ZONE!!

It's important to note that an aircraft can only have ONE Reg# displayed on it. If you initially registered as HOBBY and then later decide to go Commercial simply remove the Hobby and apply the Commercial and be sure to carry your new commercial pocket card with you.

• Commercially Registered Aircraft can be flown for non-Hobby and Hobby flights.
  • Hobby Registered Aircraft can ONLY be flown for Hobby flights.
I’m not sure the type of drone registration matters for the registration number. I have a Part 107 certificate, my drone registration number begins with FA, but I fly this drone basically for fun. They have no idea that a drone is going to be flown for recreation or profit, and I don’t think (for registration purposes) they care as long as they get their $5.

Ummmmm yes they do "Care" and it's part of the REGULATIONS so we should all care as well. If your aircraft is flown for Non-Hobby flights, even only ONE time, it should have a Reg # that is issued from the Non-Hobby side of FAA Drone Zone.

Last edited:
Don't know why the OP was expecting something different like a Nxxxxx number?
I had read posts referring to "N" numbers and got the idea that Commercial AC would get differentiated from Hobby AC that way. Thanks to all who set me straight. Ordered the new stickers and I'm glad to learn only one number at a time should be displayed.

I had read posts referring to "N" numbers and got the idea that Commercial AC would get differentiated from Hobby AC that way. Thanks to all who set me straight. Ordered the new stickers and I'm glad to learn only one number at a time should be displayed.

Yea initially that was our only route for "Drone Registration" so we had to jump through those hoops. I had 3 N# aircraft and honestly I still have one "registered" but it's no longer in service. It's a back up to our back up LOL!

Once the sUAS/Drone Portal was created most of us immediately abandoned the N# process but a few still felt/feel like it gives them "Street Creed" to fly an N# aircraft. To that I say GO For It!! I've been there, done that, and the t-shirt doesn't fit any more LOL!

All my Part 107 (commercial) and Section 336 (recreational) registrations begin with FA.

In my opinion...

1) There is nothing wrong with an “FA” number. It serves its purpose.

2) I suggest that you only use the FAA website at faadronezone.faa.gov to register - not the commercial sites that provide services you don’t need like labels. The FAA website doesn’t provide labels because you can use your own or use a Sharpie to apply the number. The commercial sites appear first in searches and they sound official, but they aren’t.

3) One reason that registration numbers are necessary/required is to ID the PIC/owner in case the sUAS hurts someone or damages property. It’s to assign responsibility/liability.

4) The $5 registration fee is reasonable and helps pay for the cost of the registration system and the labor needed to maintain it. Why make all tax payers cover the cost when only a small percentage of tax payers fly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502