Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Remote control vs wifi

To make sure: Are you talking about using a remote controller vs. using your phone/tablet to control the Spark OR or you talking about using an OTG cable between the controller and phone?

OK - I have some time so I'll hit both. :)

Using a controller vs. a phone gives you MUCH better range and MUCH better tactile feel and control. Night and day. Well worth the extra $$$.

The next part comes on connecting the phone to the remote. You can do that via WIFI or use what's called an OTG cable. The OTG gives a solid, wired connection between the remote and phone/tablet and tends to give better video, esp. if you're in a WIFI congested area.

Hope this helps -- feel free to ask follow ups!

"The next part comes on connecting the phone to the remote. You can do that via WIFI or use what's called an OTG cable. The OTG gives a solid, wired connection between the remote and phone/tablet and tends to give better video, esp. if you're in a WIFI congested area."

Buddy411 - What does "OTG" stand for? Where can I get an OTG cable for my Spark?

Today it took me almost ten minutes to get the WiFi from my controller (which I have been using for several weeks) to completely connect with my phone (which I've also been using with the controller for several weeks). The phone saw the controller's WiFi signal and indicated it had connected, but I could not get to the Go Fly button in DJI Go 4.

If an OTG cable would eliminate the nuisance of restarting everything several times to get the connection, I'd get it in a minute.

Thank you.

"The next part comes on connecting the phone to the remote. You can do that via WIFI or use what's called an OTG cable. The OTG gives a solid, wired connection between the remote and phone/tablet and tends to give better video, esp. if you're in a WIFI congested area."

Buddy411 - What does "OTG" stand for? Where can I get an OTG cable for my Spark?

Today it took me almost ten minutes to get the WiFi from my controller (which I have been using for several weeks) to completely connect with my phone (which I've also been using with the controller for several weeks). The phone saw the controller's WiFi signal and indicated it had connected, but I could not get to the Go Fly button in DJI Go 4.

If an OTG cable would eliminate the nuisance of restarting everything several times to get the connection, I'd get it in a minute.

Thank you.

OTG stands for On The Go.
Another name for it is usb host.
There are many cables available on Amazon or ebay.
I use this adapter .... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018V1U7N4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works with any usb cable for android or ios.

Reactions: ProfPaul
So I am connecting a USB cable to the remote, and then an adapter from that cable to the phone, right?

The OTG end has to connect to the remote.
So if you use an adapter, the adapter fits to the remote then the cable fits to the adapter with the fat end then the other end (micro usb or lightning) fits to the phone.
Like this .... DJI Spark Micro USB OTG Cable
My adapter is just more compact but does the same thing.
Be aware, you need to check your phone supports otg if you have an android phone.
It works with an iphone.

"Be aware, you need to check your phone supports otg if you have an android phone.
It works with an iphone."

Perfect. Does anyone here know if the Samsung 8+ will work with an OTG adapter?

Based on this, I think it will work ...

A second question ... How does the phone fit into the controller's brackets with the OTG attached to it?

Based on that video, it has otg support and you should have got an adapter/dongle with it.
If so, you are already good to go !
Just fit your phone into the controller arms as normal ..... dji spark otg - Google Search:
An angled connector is a good idea ..... angled usb cable - Google Search:
But you can use it with a regular usb cable in the meantime.

I would be good to go if I weren't in Singapore with my original phone components back in Buffalo. But I'll be home soon.

To make sure: Are you talking about using a remote controller vs. using your phone/tablet to control the Spark OR or you talking about using an OTG cable between the controller and phone?

OK - I have some time so I'll hit both. :)

Using a controller vs. a phone gives you MUCH better range and MUCH better tactile feel and control. Night and day. Well worth the extra $$$.

The next part comes on connecting the phone to the remote. You can do that via WIFI or use what's called an OTG cable. The OTG gives a solid, wired connection between the remote and phone/tablet and tends to give better video, esp. if you're in a WIFI congested area.

Hope this helps -- feel free to ask follow ups!
Thanks for the time.
I mean RC with OTG on vs wifi

"Be aware, you need to check your phone supports otg if you have an android phone.
It works with an iphone."

Perfect. Does anyone here know if the Samsung 8+ will work with an OTG adapter?

Based on this, I think it will work ...
Yes it's working and the OTG adapter comes right out of the box of the galaxy (well mine came with ir s8 +) is the little squared piece1509492532908.jpeg

Yes it's working and the OTG adapter comes right out of the box of the galaxy (well mine came with ir s8 +) is the little squared pieceView attachment 1801

Thank you. I'm in Singapore at the moment, and the materials that came with my Samsung S8+ are back in Buffalo. But I'll check all of this out when I get back in a month. I appreciate the help.

Thank you. I'm in Singapore at the moment, and the materials that came with my Samsung S8+ are back in Buffalo. But I'll check all of this out when I get back in a month. I appreciate the help.

Good luck. Just FYI: The order goes like so:
- Turn on the Spark
- Turn on the RC
- Wait for the RC to lock (red light will turn green on the RC)
- Plug OTG cable in to remote, than into phone
- Launch DJI Go4 if it doesn't launch automatically

That should do it! You may need to take some time to "dress" the cables so everything is neat and clean - but that's a personal thing.

Good luck. Just FYI: The order goes like so:
- Turn on the Spark
- Turn on the RC
- Wait for the RC to lock (red light will turn green on the RC)
- Plug OTG cable in to remote, than into phone
- Launch DJI Go4 if it doesn't launch automatically

That should do it! You may need to take some time to "dress" the cables so everything is neat and clean - but that's a personal thing.

This is really helpful! I don't think I've paid close attention to the order until now and that may have accounted for some of my connectivity problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar