Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

[Root (or not)/Android] Fix for WiFi RC/AC connection issues

snovvman

Join
Dec 30, 2017
I have a Mavic. The cable connection is great. No mystery, cellular data works at the same time, no problems. I recently bought a Spark and was surprised with how many problems I had getting it set up, also in testing. As it turns out, the problems were related to WiFi:

On Android devices/certain versions, when it is connected to a WiFi host without access to the Internet, the device automatically routes the data packets back to cellular. This is done to ensure that the device maintains Internet connection. Even though the WiFi icon shows connected, the data is still routed through cellular. There is no easy way to change this behavior. On my N6 running Oreo, I received a popup "WiFi has no Internet connection, stay connected?" when I am adding a new host, but even when I answer "yes" and tick "don't ask again", the setting does not stick when I switch between RC and AC. It is annoying that I have to "forget" and re-add the RC and AC if I want to switch between them.

In seeking for a solution, I found "Mobiwol", but it force closes. I then found a console command (requires root) that disables the device's tendency to switch back to cellular for data. I used the app "automate" to script the command to run on startup. Now it is reliable in connecting AND I am able to switch between RC and AC with no more issues. The command is settings put global captive_portal_detection_enabled 0. Clearly, this command tells the device to not detect if the WiFi host has a captive portal so that it does not switch away.

If you have no root--I found that the easiest workaround is to put the phone into airplane mode, then enable WiFi (and GPS). You lose cellular data, but at least it will connect to the RC or AC every time. You can cache the map and other needed info.

Enjoy...

Reactions: DroneDan and dubt
Great info and awesome solution. On Oreo it's such a pain to go into airplane mode every time.

I now just bought a dedicated cheap Android phone for flying yo avoid this, but great tip non-theless

The nexus 7 works amazing in the remote. And being an old device I'm sure you can pick one up cheap

Reactions: dubt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy