Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Safe to fly in advisory zones?

Toro93

Join
Apr 11, 2019
Just wondering is it OK to fly inside advisory zones? Trying to fly around this bridge that's partially inside an advisory zone. It is outside the Class C airspace though from another airport. Also the advisory zone does not show up on another airspace map.

Another question, there any limitations of how close you can get to a bridge or what not to do? I know I'm not supposed to fly over it because of traffic, any other stuff?

Maps used:

ArcGIS Web Application

https://app.airmap.io/geo?38.252360,-85.728530,12.291896z

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 32
The two highlighted "advisory zones" on the map in your screenshot are both airports. To fly within 5 miles of an airport you would need to advise the control tower / airport manager of your flight plan.

The map also shows 80+ other unspecified advisories. Need to zoom in to see if any of those conflict with your plan.

Don't fly to close to a metal bridge due to possible compass error. And going under bridge is permissible but kinda risky for signal loss or collision with overhead structure.

The two highlighted "advisory zones" on the map in your screenshot are both airports. To fly within 5 miles of an airport you would need to advise the control tower / airport manager of your flight plan.

The map also shows 80+ other unspecified advisories. Need to zoom in to see if any of those conflict with your plan.

Don't fly to close to a metal bridge due to possible compass error. And going under bridge is permissible but kinda risky for signal loss or collision with overhead structure.

Yeah those 80+ pertain to other areas. Zoomed in I only get the advisory, which is the 5mi radius of the small airport. I didnt know, I thought the smaller ring would had been the 5mi radious, just measured it on google maps. So this is just calling the control tower and advising them? Seen some videos of people doing this and seems smooth. Ever done that?

Yeah sounds good man, I wouldn't really try and go under the bridge. Wouldn't want to risk hitting something and bye bye drone lol.

Yeah those 80+ pertain to other areas. Zoomed in I only get the advisory, which is the 5mi radius of the small airport. I didnt know, I thought the smaller ring would had been the 5mi radious, just measured it on google maps. So this is just calling the control tower and advising them? Seen some videos of people doing this and seems smooth. Ever done that?

Yeah sounds good man, I wouldn't really try and go under the bridge. Wouldn't want to risk hitting something and bye bye drone lol.

Yes. Within the 5 mile radius you call the ATC. They usually just want the location, altitude and time your are flying. I've never had a problem with them but I'm near the far end of zone -- maybe if you get near the approach they get more strict due to low flying planes.

If there is no tower you can try the airport manager by that may just be a voicemail. In that cases you just need to yield to manned aircraft.

If you have your 107 you can gain clearance with AirMap or Kittyhawk app that uses the LAANC FAA interface. Both also provide the maximum AGL that you can fly in that area.

I live 3 1/2 miles from Sea-Tac airport one of the busiest in the world. If I decide to fly from home and after I boot up I get an advisory box that says in so many words that I'm in a NFZ but the box has an "OK" button. When I click on that button the box goes away and I'm good-to-go. Is this any sort of a problem? I'm sensitive to the fact that I'm near a very busy airport so I stay below 100' meaning I'm always VLOS.

I live 3 1/2 miles from Sea-Tac airport one of the busiest in the world. If I decide to fly from home and after I boot up I get an advisory box that says in so many words that I'm in a NFZ but the box has an "OK" button. When I click on that button the box goes away and I'm good-to-go. Is this any sort of a problem? I'm sensitive to the fact that I'm near a very busy airport so I stay below 100' meaning I'm always VLOS.

If you are flying within 5 miles of the "one of the busiest airports in the world" and haven't notified the tower you are in violation of FCC Regulations Your chosen altitude of 100' is not a defense -- more like a written confession actually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme