Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Samsung tab a tablet

Mtntrogger

Join
Aug 16, 2019
I just picked up the Samsung Tab A 8inch tablet (2019) exclusively for flying my birds. I had read some decent reviews. I was between the Samsung and the Lenovo, which is cheaper. Everything I read said the Samsung had a better image quality. I uninstalled everything the device would let me, then installed the dji apps and litchi. I tried to fly with it yesterday and was very unimpressed with the video quality. It seemed pretty pixelated and out of focus. I am wondering if anyone else on here uses one of these. Is there a setting or something I am missing or is it just not very powerful ? I figured with a 2 ghz quad core processor it should be plenty quick. I currently fly with my iphone 6 (1.4ghz) and so far the image quality on that blows away this tablet. I was trying to use the Samsung to fly my new used P3S, I was also attempting to use a otg cable between the p3s remote and the tablet. I havent gotten the tablet to pair with my spark yet. For some reason the tab cant see the sparks rc wifi, but found the p3s remote right away. Just gotta spend some time working that out. Any input regarding this tablet would be seriously appreciated. Thank you all

Sorry, not much help on the Samsung. I have always used iPads or my phone for flying. I current use an iPad mini for my Mavic Air 2. Great visibility. In full sun, the iPad's glossy screen can be a bit of a problem.

I use the Samsung Tab A (2019) with my Spark and my iPad Mini 5 with my Mavic Air. Each is wifi’ed to my Samsung Note8+ in in the ‘Hotspot’ mode. I have no issues with either bird in this setup. The larger than phone screens allow my tired ol’ eyes a less painful watch then using just the Note8+ screen.
Sparky did not like to play nicely with iPad mini 5, hence the Tab A. MA, no probs with the iPad. Nice thing with the iPad, though, is I can use the built in Screen Recorder. Tab A requires 3rd party, and I don’t like extra non-native apps running when flying.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
I just picked up the Samsung Tab A 8inch tablet (2019) exclusively for flying my birds. I had read some decent reviews. I was between the Samsung and the Lenovo, which is cheaper. Everything I read said the Samsung had a better image quality. I uninstalled everything the device would let me, then installed the dji apps and litchi. I tried to fly with it yesterday and was very unimpressed with the video quality. It seemed pretty pixelated and out of focus. I am wondering if anyone else on here uses one of these. Is there a setting or something I am missing or is it just not very powerful ? I figured with a 2 ghz quad core processor it should be plenty quick. I currently fly with my iphone 6 (1.4ghz) and so far the image quality on that blows away this tablet. I was trying to use the Samsung to fly my new used P3S, I was also attempting to use a otg cable between the p3s remote and the tablet. I havent gotten the tablet to pair with my spark yet. For some reason the tab cant see the sparks rc wifi, but found the p3s remote right away. Just gotta spend some time working that out. Any input regarding this tablet would be seriously appreciated. Thank you all
Samsung uses great screens in their devices. Low image quality is most likely caused by WiFi. I always use OTG cable to connect with the remote and never had any image issues with my Android phones.

I have less than stellar eyesight and I struggle to see with my cellphone. I bought an 8-inch tablet for better viewing but I'm having trouble with glare. I used the fold-up cardboard sunscreens but find them unwieldly and not very useful.

I'd be happy to hear what others are doing with their big-screen monitors to deal with the glare issue. Non-glare screen protectors really don't work with direct sun glare.

Thanks, everyone.

Fred

Samsung uses great screens in their devices. Low image quality is most likely caused by WiFi. I always use OTG cable to connect with the remote and never had any image issues with my Android phones.
So after a couple more flights with the tablet I think I know why I am not impressed. I have my spark modded with no limit drones firmware. The exact firmware is specific to the os of the device used to fly, if Im not mistaken. I have the fw setup for the apple ios, since I was using the iphone to fly before the tab. Soooo- The spark WILL fly with either device currently, iphone or tablet, BUT the android tablet wont recognize the otg cable, because of the fw im using. Therefore the lower quality experience I am having with the tablet. I could switch up the nld firmware IF I could find the list that shows which fw works best with what, but that list is somehow eluding me know. However since the otg cable works perfect with the apple if I change it up it will probably have the same issue after if I try to fly with the phone again.

So after a couple more flights with the tablet I think I know why I am not impressed. I have my spark modded with no limit drones firmware. The exact firmware is specific to the os of the device used to fly, if Im not mistaken. I have the fw setup for the apple ios, since I was using the iphone to fly before the tab. Soooo- The spark WILL fly with either device currently, iphone or tablet, BUT the android tablet wont recognize the otg cable, because of the fw im using. Therefore the lower quality experience I am having with the tablet. I could switch up the nld firmware IF I could find the list that shows which fw works best with what, but that list is somehow eluding me know. However since the otg cable works perfect with the apple if I change it up it will probably have the same issue after if I try to fly with the phone again.
I actually use "nolimitdronez" application myself and it works with OTG, drone firmware is the same for both OSes. What's different is the modified Android application compared to what's provided by DJI (have no experience with Apple).
I have my share of minor issues with "nolimitdronez" Android application, especially ever since my phone started to use Android 10, however, video quality remains the same through OTG. I have never used WiFi to connect to my controller. It must be the fact that the controller connects to Spark through DJI modified WiFi and then your cellphone connects to the controller using WiFi as well.
Figure out why can't you use OTG cable to connect your Android tablet through OTG to the controller.
It could be because of OTG cable. Some do not work well. Go on Amazon and buy OTG cable that is proven and tested to work with DJI drones.

I actually use "nolimitdronez" application myself and it works with OTG, drone firmware is the same for both OSes. What's different is the modified Android application compared to what's provided by DJI (have no experience with Apple).
I have my share of minor issues with "nolimitdronez" Android application, especially ever since my phone started to use Android 10, however, video quality remains the same through OTG. I have never used WiFi to connect to my controller. It must be the fact that the controller connects to Spark through DJI modified WiFi and then your cellphone connects to the controller using WiFi as well.
Figure out why can't you use OTG cable to connect your Android tablet through OTG to the controller.
It could be because of OTG cable. Some do not work well. Go on Amazon and buy OTG cable that is proven and tested to work with DJI drones.
I am not actually using the nld app to fly. I havent installed it on the new tablet yet, and since there isnt a ios version, I also dont use it on the iphone, just lithci and dji on both devices.

I definitely did buy the proven and tested otg cable from amazon, but it doesnt work the same as the one I use with the iphone. It looks like it just tries to charge the controller instead of connecting it to the flight control device

It's other way round. When connecting phone to controller through OTG, controller will try to charge the phone. Has your OTG cable ever worked with your Android tablet using official DJI application?
OTG cable for Android is not the same as with Apple devices. Apple has always had weird way of doing things, instead of standard USB cable...

There is a also possibility that you may have to modify settings on your Android tablet, when it detects USB cable connection. I think there are 3 modes: charging only, picture (media) sharing and full data access.

It's other way round. When connecting phone to controller through OTG, controller will try to charge the phone. Has your OTG cable ever worked with your Android tablet using official DJI application?
OTG cable for Android is not the same as with Apple devices. Apple has always had weird way of doing things, instead of standard USB cable...

There is a also possibility that you may have to modify settings on your Android tablet, when it detects USB cable connection. I think there are 3 modes: charging only, picture (media) sharing and full data access.
No the otg cable has not worked with this new tablet yet. Ive tried several times using both litchi and dji. I have the usb function set to "midi" as per recommended by that document. The only thing different about the appearance of the apple otg cable is the connector on the side opposite the mini usb. But yeah, maybe the apple ios recognizes the cable more easily. Never had to anything to that device, just plugged it in and enjoyed the zero latency, quality image transmission.

It definitely sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do in order to make OTG cable work. Either you have an incompatible cable or your tablet USB settings are wrong... I would select transferring files option:

Screenshot_20210326-181718_Settings (Phone).jpg

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do in order to make OTG cable work. Either you have an incompatible cable or your tablet USB settings are wrong... I would select transferring files option:

View attachment 13740
Thanks again man ! I really dont think its the cable, I tried 2 different ones that both worked on my android phone, which I dont use to fly anymore. I will try changing the usb setting from the recommended midi to the transferring files and see if that does anything

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme