Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sand in motors - compressed air query

Naff

Join
Apr 3, 2018
Today I was landing on a cement block above the sand and the wind grabbed the Spark at the last second and it went into the sand. 2 motors seem fine, the other 2 have some sand inside.

I am on holidays in Sri Lanka for another week and really want to get it working. I don't have access to a can of compressed air (apparently they don't sell them here), so my query is, would the automatic pumps at the service station work (might have to hold it at a distance), or is that a bit overkill? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I assume I should not power up until sure all the sand is out?

What I meant is, would the device that you fill up car tyres with work?

Yes! I use compressed air to "blow out" the motors about every 10 flights (just use it lightly) not a lot of pressure. There is always something in them. I mostly see dust coming out of the motors when I do it. A can of "key board duster" (compressed air) works well too, and can be taken along with you while flying.

Reactions: Naff
Yes if it was the correct attachment. Most of those pumps only has the adaptor for tire valve stem type valves... I have a home compressor with ta narrow tip which I use to blow out my drones (mostly my FPV drones)..

What I meant is, would the device that you fill up car tyres with work?

You might want to check that the compressor has an air dryer in the line...

I would recommend using compressed air cans like you use for cleaning computers. That way you definitely have dry air. You don't want to be shoving moisture in your little electric motors.\

Edit: Sorry I just reread your post and you said don't have access to the compressed air. In which case I recommend blowing some air from the tire pump onto a piece of paper towel for 10-15 seconds before you clean your drone. If the air line has moisture in it you will see it on the paper towel and you'll know not to use that air. Otherwise yeah the pressure from the pump shouldn't be too overkill.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502