Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sand in Spark motors

Kirill

Join
Mar 6, 2018
Hello Spark pilots!
Does anybody have experience of cleaning out the sand from Spark motors?
I had an unsuccessful take off today at the beach - my little bird fell in the sand with propellers down. Now all motors are stuck, can't even spin any of them with reasonable force.
Will it help to clean the motors with compressed air?
May there be any residual damage after cleaning that will affect motors reliability?

Hello from the Mid-West.

It's unfortunate you biffed it in the sand. Better than the water I suppose.

Compressed air sounds like your best bet.

If you want to replace the motor(s), you can get them on the web around $25. Seen one site for $5.88 each?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Sparkbart
Agree with the compressed air.
I hand launch and palm land on sand. I always support the spark until it lifts itself off of my hand.

If To & landing on sand a few unavoidable I suggest using undercarriage extensions. I fly from a beach quite often. Use a landing pad when I can but always add the extended UC just in case need to land in a hurry away from the pad.

I have put this up before, so I may sound a nag but if you configure the function button for takeoff you can easily hand launch a Spark. I even do this in crowded places .
Wind can be a problem when landing, so when it's windy, find a safe landing spot before you launch. Hand landing in wind is tricky.
The only likely damage to your motors is sand grains getting stuck between the bell and the stator. You can pull the bell of if you can't get the sand out using a small Allen key. This coYou and uld be very tricky while the motors are still in the aircraft. A can of air from a electronics store would be my first choice.

Reactions: Teq

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav