Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Shoot photo while recording video?

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Hey all... know this has probably been asked before, I did a search but could not find a clear answer. If I am recording video and I want to take a still photo, can I do this without the video stopping?

I am guessing not, one will stop the other, and then you have to restart the video... can someone please confirm?

Thanks in advance.

They are great shots!

But then, they are only 3 megapixels...

Right?

They are great shots!

But then, they are only 3 megapixels...

Right?
Lightning turned out to be a 351Kb but made a very nice 24"x 36" wall poster.
But the bird was 1.3Mb and was advised by the same company not to print over 11"x14"

I need to figure that one out someday.

**UPDATE** I have no idea how I "tricked" the publisher to print in 24"x36"
I have tried to recapture lightning in VLC, Filmora, SnagIt and Sony Vegas...all say anything above 11"x14" is not recommended for printing.

Hmmmmm

Last edited:
@pmshop: Printers care about pixels, not filesize...
Both files are identical resolution, only 1920x1080.
A typical photoprint would be 300dpi, or about 6"x3".
You (or your printservice) could (digitally) smear these pixels out over a bigger surface, but results may vary an will certainly be blurrier than what they see as a 'quality standard'.

I've photoshopped a lot of video-stills, with some creative filtering, you might get away with 2x or 4x the original pixel size.
A typical online printservice might accept such files (more easily) for bigger prints.(Don't feel like there is much human review there.)

You could get away with some pretty low-dpi prints if used as posters since you typicaly are looking at them from a bigger distance. Guess it depends on the subject also.
I feel, looking at your samples; the second one would seem to lend itself to quite a big blowup, if it weren't for a few artifacts just around the bird (which just happens to be the main subject o_O).
If you're dead-set on big prints, might be worth to check out a smaller printshop, they might be a bit more flexible ?

My 2c...

Oh, and I don't think there's a way to take photographs during filming :D

Reactions: pmshop
@pmshop: Printers care about pixels, not filesize...
Both files are identical resolution, only 1920x1080.
A typical photoprint would be 300dpi, or about 6"x3".
You (or your printservice) could (digitally) smear these pixels out over a bigger surface, but results may vary an will certainly be blurrier than what they see as a 'quality standard'.

I've photoshopped a lot of video-stills, with some creative filtering, you might get away with 2x or 4x the original pixel size.
A typical online printservice might accept such files (more easily) for bigger prints.(Don't feel like there is much human review there.)

You could get away with some pretty low-dpi prints if used as posters since you typicaly are looking at them from a bigger distance. Guess it depends on the subject also.
I feel, looking at your samples; the second one would seem to lend itself to quite a big blowup, if it weren't for a few artifacts just around the bird (which just happens to be the main subject o_O).
If you're dead-set on big prints, might be worth to check out a smaller printshop, they might be a bit more flexible ?

My 2c...

Oh, and I don't think there's a way to take photographs during filming :D

Now I remember:
waifu2x
Sent it through that before sending it off to print.
A backup in case the first is down:
Online Image Enlarger

And fixed the artifacts around the Martin
I captured with Filmora originally - poor output
Went back and got it with Sony Vegas, highest preview quality settings and ran it dual monitor screen cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: graywoulf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme