Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Signal disruption in trees

Jim Bow

Join
Jun 15, 2018
I launched straight up to 400 feet from my back deck. Moving to the East, my Spark went behind a very large maple tree. It was at 400 feet, but only about 75 feet from the home point and I suddenly lost altitude and distance numbers on my tablet. I brought it down an landed in the street. Could having that huge tree in between me and the Spark have caused the anomaly?

Reactions: sparky markie
I lost connection about the time I was taking this worthless picture. It's close, there are no obstructions, It was over water on an island..no reason except that drones just like to scare the He** out of you. catalina aug 2020 (3).JPG

I lost connection about the time I was taking this worthless picture. It's close, there are no obstructions, It was over water on an island..no reason except that drones just like to scare the He** out of you. View attachment 13248
We're you using a controller? What was your distance and altitude?

I lost connection about the time I was taking this worthless picture. It's close, there are no obstructions, It was over water on an island..no reason except that drones just like to scare the He** out of you.
:) They sure can do that! FWIW, the few times I've dropped connection like that, it was always something bluetooth or wifi that was left turned on or was accessed in some way by the mobile itself, even with the OTG cable. Great exposure on that pic btw.

Coming to think of it I have experienced a couple of mini-flyaways (if there is such a thing) in the same place here in the Downs in Bristol. I flew up and over some tall trees that border the area and I have to admit I lost Vis for a second or two. The trees were in full leaf. I managed to get contact back somehow and brought it down but I have not flown there since. I thought maybe there was some sort of magnetic draw in the area but it must have been the trees and LOS issues.

We're you using a controller? What was your distance and altitude?
I was hovering just where that photo was taken from. I would say 50ft. up less than 50yds out. No problem flying it back. It was just that I could see no reason to lose connection.
I was using the controller with wifi no cable. ...I've actually been doing that a lot lately with good results..it's just so much faster and I'm so lazy.

Reactions: twickers14
I launched straight up to 400 feet from my back deck. Moving to the East, my Spark went behind a very large maple tree. It was at 400 feet, but only about 75 feet from the home point and I suddenly lost altitude and distance numbers on my tablet. I brought it down an landed in the street. Could having that huge tree in between me and the Spark have caused the anomaly?

I spent 22+years as RF engineer, and over 50 years licensed extra class Amateur Radio License class.

It's known as vegetation attention.

It's a very real thing.

By and large, the higher the frequency (lower, short wavelength) the more pronounced the attenuation effects.

In my professional and Amateur experience, the worst vegitation attenuation of RF signal occurs whilst trying to do high VHF through Microwave (our links to drones)
Coming to think of it I have experienced a couple of mini-flyaways (if there is such a thing) in the same place here in the Downs in Bristol. I flew up and over some tall trees that border the area and I have to admit I lost Vis for a second or two. The trees were in full leaf. I managed to get contact back somehow and brought it down but I have not flown there since. I thought maybe there was some sort of magnetic draw in the area but it must have been the trees and LOS issues.
Trees and almost all vegitation absorb the frequency range we use for flight and video.

Those YouTube vids of insane range tests are pretty much unobtanium from our average sites.
Waaaaa

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran