Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Solar powered Spark?

Probably not.
Don't' want to add additional weight to the Spark like a solar panel.
Plus, the metals involved may screw with flight characteristics (GPS, compass, etc.)

And you NEVER want to fly with a partially charged battery.

Fly safe.

Never happen. The size of a solar panel that would be needed would be about 10 times the size of the spark. Not to mention, weight, and the things Spark 317 mentioned.

You cannot take off with Cable plugged in the micro USB.... And yes, needed current would be accomplished be a square meeter of solar panel.

Not really possible. The Spark power draw is far too high.
A good 5W small solar panel (still too big for Spark) would give you about 1300 mA in an hour in full direct sun. This is not even enough to fully recharge the Spark battery.

My Spark is solar powered :)

I have 3kW-peak solar panels on my roof, during the day even when cloudy it usually produces more than 100W in excess of my usual house usage. If I charge Spark batteries during the day, my Spark will be solar powered :D

A solar panel the size of a Spark will not produce more than a few watts. The Spark burns through 16Wh in 15 minutes. So you'll need to put the Spark in direct sun for 480 minutes (8 hours) to charge the battery. In another word, solar powered Spark will not extend its flight time by more than 5%, that is assuming no additional weight. Of course, the assumption will not be true.

Reactions: noooris
My Spark is solar powered :)

I have 3kW-peak solar panels on my roof, during the day even when cloudy it usually produces more than 100W in excess of my usual house usage. If I charge Spark batteries during the day, my Spark will be solar powered :D

A solar panel the size of a Spark will not produce more than a few watts. The Spark burns through 16Wh in 15 minutes. So you'll need to put the Spark in direct sun for 480 minutes (8 hours) to charge the battery. In another word, solar powered Spark will not extend its flight time by more than 5%, that is assuming no additional weight. Of course, the assumption will not be true.

Now we're talking. 5% flight time is still significant. DJI could theoretically make a spark cover that is just a solar cell, directly wired to the board, without adding any more wieght. I do now realize that this is not a DIY project.

You must be very easily boggled.
No I've actually been flying quads for 6 years now, but all i've been seeing since the spark was released is people continuously comparing the sparks flight time to the mavics.... I mean its one of the most talked about topics.... how they're disappointing blah blah blah

I mean the sparks achieving 14 mins out of a 1380mah 3s battery.... if its more flight time you want go for a mavic with its 3800mah

A lot of people complaining for something that was advertised on the tin........ its like buying a ferrari and then complaining you don't get the same MPG as a toyota prius

Reactions: 1px0ff
No one is complaining about flight time in this thread. We're discussing 'theoretical' solar powered drones. Relax.

I love my Spark, and chose it over the Mavic.

Reactions: Scobo
Now we're talking. 5% flight time is still significant.
He just pulled a random number, if you actually calculate with the area of the Spark cover it would give less than 1W at peak illumination. The Spark draws about 60W average, so more like about 1% i.e. completely useless.

Last edited:
Now we're talking. 5% flight time is still significant. DJI could theoretically make a spark cover that is just a solar cell, directly wired to the board, without adding any more wieght. I do now realize that this is not a DIY project.
That calculation was assuming 2w solar generation and zero additional weight from solar modification. Neither of which will be possible in the foreseeable future.

Real world flight time increase will be in the region of rounding error. Totally unnoticeable when flying. Completely not cost effective.

Reactions: Kilrah
No I've actually been flying quads for 6 years now, but all i've been seeing since the spark was released is people continuously comparing the sparks flight time to the mavics.... I mean its one of the most talked about topics.... how they're disappointing blah blah blah

I mean the sparks achieving 14 mins out of a 1380mah 3s battery.... if its more flight time you want go for a mavic with its 3800mah

A lot of people complaining for something that was advertised on the tin........ its like buying a ferrari and then complaining you don't get the same MPG as a toyota prius

I'll admit that I opened this thread for some magical invention. I have a P3A, MP, and a Spark.

It kind of stinks that as soon as you get up you need to come down for a battery change.... So, I can understand the complaining as it fly's so darn slow in regular mode - you would think the lower RPMs would account for more battery time.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Spark, but the battery life is a real drag. That, plus the upgrade package only came with 2 batteries vs. the 3 the MP was shipped with. Again, I get the battery delays when the MP was released... but it ends up being a double hit..

Solar can work for large, fixed-wings. Quads? Nope. This pic below is Facebook's "solar" drone.
facebook-aquila-drone.jpg

I'll admit that I opened this thread for some magical invention. I have a P3A, MP, and a Spark.

It kind of stinks that as soon as you get up you need to come down for a battery change.... So, I can understand the complaining as it fly's so darn slow in regular mode - you would think the lower RPMs would account for more battery time.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Spark, but the battery life is a real drag. That, plus the upgrade package only came with 2 batteries vs. the 3 the MP was shipped with. Again, I get the battery delays when the MP was released... but it ends up being a double hit..

Just mod a Mavic or P4 to dock with the Spark and change the battery on the Spark mid-flight. Duh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis