Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark 3-Battery charger question

EthanBuddy

Join
Mar 4, 2018
Loc
Portland Oregon Area
Does anyone know whether the 3 unit battery charger that comes in the fly pack kit, actually charge 3 batteries simultaneously? I put three bats in the charger but only two at any one time showed LED activity, the third showing no LED activity. If I removed one bat then the third Bat acted like it was charging. It seemed like the third battery only started charging when one of the other two were fully charged. Anyone else experience this effect when using the DJI 3 bat charger that come in the kit?

That happened to me but only after removing one of the 3, that was already fully charged and replacing it with a 4th depleted one.
But it did charge, I just left it and came back later to find it charging.

Mine charges all three at the same time. When I have one a little lower then the other ones sometimes I push the button on the battery and it will start charging.

Reactions: Andy S
If you just took one off the drone from flying, I think it waits for it to cool down before it will charge. Not sure if that applies to your scenario or not.

Yes you are correct on this. I will only start charging when the battery cools. Also all three charge at the same time but like OP say it may take a moment to get going.

It's a combination of factors.

1- temperature. If fresh from the drone, it won't charge even one battery as they are hot. It will wait for it to cool for safety.

2- priority charging. The battery with the most charge will get charged first, the fastest. Then the next, and the next. There is a limit to maximum charge rate, so in some cases this means only 2 of 3 will get charged at once. When battery 1 enters a slower charging phase, the 3rd battery will start charging. This allows you to get back in the air faster.

If all 3 batteries are at 30%, for example, and cool, then all 3 will charge at once right away.

It's a combination of factors.

1- temperature. If fresh from the drone, it won't charge even one battery as they are hot. It will wait for it to cool for safety.

2- priority charging. The battery with the most charge will get charged first, the fastest. Then the next, and the next. There is a limit to maximum charge rate, so in some cases this means only 2 of 3 will get charged at once. When battery 1 enters a slower charging phase, the 3rd battery will start charging. This allows you to get back in the air faster.

If all 3 batteries are at 30%, for example, and cool, then all 3 will charge at once right away.
Great explanation suprPHREAK, and makes sense. This is what I was seeing

Mine charges three simultaneously. It will NOT charge a battery that's too cold or too warm. That's probably what you saw: take the battery, freshly used, out of the Spark and put it into the charger... it will not even register for several minutes.

Does anyone know whether the 3 unit battery charger that comes in the fly pack kit, actually charge 3 batteries simultaneously? I put three bats in the charger but only two at any one time showed LED activity, the third showing no LED activity. If I removed one bat then the third Bat acted like it was charging. It seemed like the third battery only started charging when one of the other two were fully charged. Anyone else experience this effect when using the DJI 3 bat charger that come in the kit?
I think its all to do with balancing the batteries. I don’t believe they are being charged in Parallel.
They have chips in them to manage their charge etc. Just be patient if the battery is serviceable it should start charging.

Yes, after flying all three batteries to 25% I put on the 3x charger and all three showed LED activity, although not all at same time, so appears to be working ok. My initial observations were with three batteries at various state of discharge, so has to do with which bat is least and or most charged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef