Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark chasing bats

RSteve

Join
Jun 7, 2019
Last night on my backyard deck we started getting swooped at by local bats. I quickly launched my Spark to see what would happen, initially fearing they may hit it and knock it down. Surprisingly they quite noticeably avoided it and stayed away when I flew near my deck. Started chasing them as I would have liked to video them but it was too dark and I couldn't get close to them anyway. Anyone else have experience with bats and drones.

Reactions: sharps45
And not to mention illegal just saying don't want you to get in trouble ☹

Reactions: ajkm
Sorry, You are right. I should not be doing that. Ironically, the bats chased us back into the house after I landed the spark.

Once, I followed a pair of golden eagles circling trying to get some video of them in the air. That didn't happen! The eagles continued to climb staying away from that pesty "bird" . Anyway stopped at 400' . The eagles continued to fly seemly undisturbed. Lesson learned.
I did use the Spark to chase a pair of coyotes staking new born calves. Worked very well and fun to boot.

I once launched from a parking lot near a local ferry dock. I didn't realize that swallows nested down below. The drone freaked them out. About 20 birds took off at once. I landed within 15 seconds, but I felt like a jerk.

Last night on my backyard deck we started getting swooped at by local bats. I quickly launched my Spark to see what would happen, initially fearing they may hit it and knock it down. Surprisingly they quite noticeably avoided it and stayed away when I flew near my deck. Started chasing them as I would have liked to video them but it was too dark and I couldn't get close to them anyway. Anyone else have experience with bats and drones.
A bat's sonar (echolocation) is pretty awesome. Beats our Spark's 3D sensor all to heck!

Reactions: DaysOfNoah
Sorry, You are right. I should not be doing that. Ironically, the bats chased us back into the house after I landed the spark.
More likely they just went back to feeding - they couldn't give a hoot about your drone since it's not their food.
If you have mosquitoes you should be thanking the little guys since they eats tons of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis