Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Combo will be too late

Hansd

Join
Jun 20, 2017
Loc
Netherlands
Just heard my Spark Combo will arrive too late for my holidays. I can buy a seperate Spark, but no Rc. Should i buy Mavic instead?

Depends on what your criteria is for a drone...

Just heard my Spark Combo will arrive too late for my holidays. I can buy a seperate Spark, but no Rc. Should i buy Mavic instead?

Just my .02, But Im a newbie to the droneworld, I purchased the spark in hopes of having it before my vacation (left on the 12th, and was shipped on the 15th:() But I did take my Mav, and anytime I flew it I never had a sense of losing it or instability. Now that I have my spark, I have tried it with just palm gestures, with just my phone and with the rc, the latter being the most reliable but even at that there has been a few times where the drone either drifts or full on takes off in one direction for no reason.
So now im leaving for a short vacation in August and theres no way Im taking the spark, I know it seems a little overly dramatic but seeing how unstable it is it would scare me to fly it somewhere im not to familiar with and lose it. I have flown it in pretty secure areas and not one time have I felt like this is going to be fun, its always been like " ohh please dont fly away" or "lets see whats going to happen". Also I should mention, to even get usable cinematic footage you really have to put effort into it, but im not a pro but with my limited experience tripod mode is the only way to go.
But if you want to enjoy your holidays with the least amount of worry go for the Mavic.

I am thinking along the same lines: Mavic is really a better drone in many ways, but the Spark would fit my motorbike better. And then there is the higher price: €800 for the Spark combo and €1500 for the Mavic combo......

I am thinking along the same lines: Mavic is really a better drone in many ways, but the Spark would fit my motorbike better. And then there is the higher price: €800 for the Spark combo and €1500 for the Mavic combo......

Yea it would but then again when you stop to take a pic of a nice scenery that you came across and your drone just flys away from you......that little bit extra you would have paid getting the Mavic wouldn't have been so bad. I purchased the Spark for the size and the "ability" to fly with just gestures, now if I was able to fully trust the spark to fly on gestures alone then the size would be a plus because the remote would not be needed but if you have to carry the remote with the spark then the differences aren't that great.

20170703_110819_HDR.jpg 20170703_110826.jpg

If you don't get the RC, You will be very limited to distance (less than 100m / 300 ft in any case) and it will be very scary to fly (my experience and many others).
At the end there are 2 key factors:
- If you have no drone and you really think in 1 year you will still fly it, buy a Mavric.
- The price of the Mavric is not a problem, of coarse it is more expensive.

Spark is nice because it look small (when ready to fly) and it is new/fun.
The performances are good but not great, a Spark without RC is almost nothing where even the cheaper Mavric package is already good.
You have to define your criteria. I will go to vacation soon and it was hard to found one but I got a Spark. There will be a Phantom 3 as drone and the Spark will come as a secondary drone, mainly because it is smaller, it is strong and I can delegate its operation to one of my daughters. I would never go to vacation with just the Spark. It would be Phantom or both. But the phantom with all accessories etc... is a nice luggage where the Spark is a shoulder bag, so there are more opportunity to take it.

In your case, if I would be you (let's say money is not the issue), I would never buy a Spark without RC and I would go for the Spark. If money is an issue, I would not buy a Spark without RC, you will have bad vacation and it is not good at all.

I have 2 Mavics and a Spark. The only difference in the Mavics is 1 is registered for commercial use and the other purely recreational.

I'm going on a 10 day golf outing to Southern Ireland in August and plan to take a Mavic and the Spark. I'll use the Mavic to get the best video content and the Spark just for fun flying.

With 1 week to go before my holidays still no Spark Combo. I have canceled my Spark order and bought a Mavic Fly More Combo instead which was in stock. This leaves a week to get some practice.

This also means i will move to the Mavic forum. Happy flying to all Spark owners! See you later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex