Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Digital Stabilization Issues

Dick

Join
Jul 5, 2017
Loc
Lake Keowee South Carolina
If you have noticed that what one views on the smart phone is NOT what a photograph yields, the reason is digital stabilization is used for video because of the limitations of a 2 axis gimbal, rather than 3.

This creates a very nice and stabilized video but continuity of video to photo mode is compromised.

This technology yields, essentially, an internal "crop zoom" for video and when you switch to photo mode, the whole sensor is used, creating a shot that looks farther away than the video footage taken from exactly the same spot........

I have found this frustrating when trying to photograph something, because what you see in NOT what you get......

DJI doesn't really hide their use of digital stablization, they mask it by calling it "ultra smooth technology" and thus the video is not utilizing the full resolution that the video is shot in.

This is disappointing and touch to deal with, especially when switching from video to photographs during the same flight.......

I just crop/scale my stills to match the video resolution. I'd much rather have the higher quality still to work from. But it would be nice if they added a feature in the firmware to select the still photo size/aspect.

I just crop/scale my stills to match the video resolution. I'd much rather have the higher quality still to work from. But it would be nice if they added a feature in the firmware to select the still photo size/aspect.

I have no issue creating a 16x9 aspect ratio....that is not the issue. It is that while flying and taking video and switching to a photo..... what you get as a field of view is totally different. You have to move the drone to compose the shot they way it was set up when shooting video.

It's good enough for 99.9% of buyers who just shoot stuff for fun.

Reactions: Sparkbart
I agree. I take stills in 16/9 with my pocket camera so I can easily add them to video edits. I would prefer to have aspect selection feature in Spark so I don't have to do it manually later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit