Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark distance

davpmars

Join
Jun 11, 2018
Hey everyone, I’ve been flying my spark in open areas and my range seems very poor. I only get about 300 meters before I start loosing image transmission. This has happened in unobstructed areas.

Any thoughts to fix this? Extend the range? Or maybe this is just normal? (I am using a remote)

Thanks

Are you using an OTG cable to connect your mobile to your RC? When I first got my Spark I had a lot of image tranmission errors. Hooked up an OTG cable and never had the problem since.

Reactions: Stever68
Are you using an OTG cable to connect your mobile to your RC? When I first got my Spark I had a lot of image tranmission errors. Hooked up an OTG cable and never had the problem since.

I have one but I haven’t been using it as much connection is always good. I didn’t think the cable would help with image transmission. I’ll try it out.

Take a look at your channel data for both 4 and 5 GHz. You'll get a graphical depiction of strong and weak channels from which to select. General consensus is that you get somewhat longer range from 4 GHz, but more subject to interference, particularly in urban areas. The 5 GHz band is less crowded, therefore less subject to interference, but may have slightly less range. This video explains it better than me:

WiFi signal strength

OTG cable provides a direct link from phone to RC thus eliminating one opportunity for interference.

Take a look at your channel data for both 4 and 5 GHz. You'll get a graphical depiction of strong and weak channels from which to select. General consensus is that you get somewhat longer range from 4 GHz, but more subject to interference, particularly in urban areas. The 5 GHz band is less crowded, therefore less subject to interference, but may have slightly less range. This video explains it better than me:

WiFi signal strength

OTG cable provides a direct link from phone to RC thus eliminating one opportunity for interference.

In my opinion 300m in CE without OTG is not bad. With OTG I did between 350 and 1000 m. Depending height , place etc..
Obstacles, especially trees between direct line RC and spark ruin the distance.
In FCC 2400 m at 80 m

Well I took it out this evening and connected the cable and had no problems at 400 m distance and 35 m high. I would have kept going but I got a little nervous because of clouds and some wind.

I was not able to figure out how to switch frequencies from 5.8 to 2.4. With direct line of sight I figure that 2.4 is the best. Under the settings I have “custom” and “auto” as choices but neither one allows me to change the “channel mode”. I figure it is something simple that I am missing...

Any thoughts there?

IMG_6296.JPG

Why would an OTG cable have an effect on flight distance? The OTG only connects your mobile device to the RC, the flight distance is determined by the connection from the RC to the drone.

Why would an OTG cable have an effect on flight distance? The OTG only connects your mobile device to the RC, the flight distance is determined by the connection from the RC to the drone.

I’m not quite sure but my original problem was the loss of image transmission. I would be connected to the drone but couldn’t see anything it was doing. The image transmission seems to be more reliable and smoother with the OTG cable.

Are you wearing any BluTooth watches or accessories? Try using airplane mode on your mobile device. Use the OTG for sure. The other thing to remember is that clear line of sight will give you the best results, and I use the right angled triangle theory, rise over run, so the further you want to go, the higher you should take it, making sure your antennae are positioned correctly and facing the aircraft. Make sure you are away from all buildings and metal structures. If you are in Europe, then you have the limitations placed on your radio frequencies.. there are workarounds for that if you are willing. This forum has tons of topics like this one, do a search, it may be illuminating.

The image tranmission error (loss of video signal) happens long before RC signal loss to the bird so in effect it limits the range in that way.

I was not able to figure out how to switch frequencies from 5.8 to 2.4. With direct line of sight I figure that 2.4 is the best. Under the settings I have “custom” and “auto” as choices but neither one allows me to change the “channel mode”. I figure it is something simple that I am missing...

Any thoughts there?
After you select the Custom button then scroll down to where you can now see the Channel Index. Then select the channel you want (1-11 for 2.4 or 149+ for 5.8), after which you'll get a message about restarting, select OK and after a min or less the new channel and it's associated band should be active.

wifi.jpg

In older app versions one could switch between 2.4 and 5.8GHz. In actual version it is custom in which you choose a channel between 1 and 13 or above which determines your choice of 2.4 or 5.8 .if auto is chosen the app mostly choses 5.8 If during flight signal gets weaker there is An automatic switch to 2.4

Reactions: RotorWash
Two small points from me which might just help. Have you tried range extenders. They’re cheap and I fly with them most times. Also, and this has been raised recently by one of our more experienced members, are you angling the antennae as prescribed in the Operating Manual? Check it out and hope this helps.

I’m not quite sure but my original problem was the loss of image transmission. I would be connected to the drone but couldn’t see anything it was doing. The image transmission seems to be more reliable and smoother with the OTG cable.
I agree. I’ve never used the cable with my iPhone and controller. In fact many of the forums I read ages ago suggested no benefit at all particularly if using and Apple product. I’m able to head out 1000mt with no issue but I’ve rarely done that because I prefer to keep craft in my sight.

Have you considered the age, compatibility of your mobile phone, have you tried another phone? I did have terrible image transmission, when not using an OTG cable and this was fixed with the direct connection. At distance, the signal and image started breaking up, and even other mobile phones nearby caused image loss. I believe I could put that down to largely due to myself having an older mobile phone (Samsung 5), as upon switching to an Ipad Mini, which is on DJI compatible devices list I've experienced no problems.

Keep in mind that strong radio signals can interfere with electronics. WiFi and Bluetooth are not magical beams. It’s just frequencies of radio waves. Electronics have RFI shielding, but it’s not equal quality of shielding between makes and models. Likewise, varying devices have varying degrees of signal processing abilities. A cheaper device may not be able to shield and decipher multiple signals like higher quality devices. It’s even possible a premium device was built with sub-quality internal components.

When using WiFi (without OTG), the phone is sending WiFi signals, the remote is sending WiFi signals to the phone and strong WiFi to the drone, the drone is emitting strong WiFi, and there’s the ever present background radio waves. That’s a lot of RFI when the remote and phone are right next to each other.

I suspect the reason everyone gets such varying amounts of success (or failure) with using the Spark without an OTG is the RFI, and the quality (or lack of) RFI shielding in combination of the quality of the device guts.

OTG does not effect flight distance, but will give you better video transmission range. The OP was referring to the video dropping out at around 300m

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit