Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark doesn't impress me...

Why are so many people obsessed with OTG wired connections? That has always been my biggest pet peeve with all other DJIs I have operated, 3 Phantoms and Inspire 2. Finally I don’t need that wire and people complain about it and yet it seems by forcing the issue of making it work, it actually impairs the functionality. When DJI says they don’t recommend using a wired connection, I am sure its for a very good reason. Its as if its some kind of security blanket. Unusual human behaviour.
My Spark flew away a couple of months ago ( i reported here and put the video too ). I ve send all the data to DJI and they gave me back a new one. I could use the guarantee only cause i do not use OTG!!! If u use it and hava any trouble, DJI wiil not retun from guarantee.

Reactions: shaverdan
My Spark flew away a couple of months ago ( i reported here and put the video too ). I ve send all the data to DJI and they gave me back a new one. I could use the guarantee only cause i do not use OTG!!! If u use it and hava any trouble, DJI wiil not retun from guarantee.
I like the orange in your avatar. That looks cool!

Pity that it doesn't fill your want. I love my little Spark since I do a lot of walking. I mainly take pictures rather than videos, so it's fine. I don't think the gimbal is stable enough for good video. Otherwise I like that its quick to setup and fly. I've had no problem with connection to the remote - generally get 500-700m range. To connect the phone I always go into flight mode first then enable only wifi. Of course I'd love extra flight time - got 6 batteries. I do like the inbuilt charger - while slow it saves taking extra stuff on trips.

This may not be helpful at all, but here goes anyway. I live out in the middle of nowhere. It works great out here. Every once in awhile someone will really enjoy some of my amateurish videos and ask me to come to their place and do the same. I go there and whistles, alarms, lost connections everything happens and nothing works. I am embarrassed. It appears that what has changed is that they are not in the middle of nowhere but in the middle of wifis, transformers, power lines, bluetooths, etc. etc. It doesn't seem to like that. I'm a 71 year old retired CIO and I when I left that world I left that world. Sorry not to be able to solve the problem for you but perhaps it will help explain why Las Vegas is not likely to be a dandy spot for the spark.

Thank you for this. I'm going to perform some field testing this week to get more familiar and hopefully be more trusting of the wireless connection.
Make sure BlueTooth is turned off on your phone or tablet and also no other bluetooth devices are around like speakers etc.

The video you posted is only 720p. Is this the video directly from the SD card or the cached version on the your phone?

I have never once had a "connection" issue with my Spark.
1. Don't use the OTG cable. You don't need it. Or if you insist on using the cable, get a different one.
2. With the WiFi connection, make sure that the Bluetooth on your phone is turned off.

Agreed. I've had a Spark for a year now and never used OTG. No issues so far apart from occasional slight lag.

Can someone please explain to me how the Wifi connection between the Rc and phone has anything to do with range?
My understanding is that the RC-Spark wifi connection is a modified type that is entirely unrelated to RC-Phone connection.
Safe flying.

I have had my Spark since Christmas and love it. It is an amazingly versatile little drone that I can take anywhere. I was disappointed in the first few videos I took with it because there was vertical jerky movements and the gimbal sometimes would not pitch down right away, be jerky, or would not move the full range. I thought I had a defective unit. My Phantom 3 Standard had none of these problems!! Turns out, my problems were related to the limitations of the Spark and once I learned what they were, I have not had any problems or can work around them.

Vertical jerks - I discovered this is due to me braking too quickly (releasing the sticks so they centre). Once I began braking slowly and being gentle on the sticks the problem disappeared. Also, there is some jerky movement when yawing due to the 2-axis gimbal which is reduced by slowing the yaw.

Gimbal pitch problems - this seems to be related to flying in cold weather. Since the weather has warmed up, I have had no pitch problems.

I fly my Spark taking into consideration its design limitations and now most of my problems have disappeared.

A fellow drone pilot and photographer asked me just last week, if I was buying a new drone now and had to choose between the Spark and my Phantom 3 Standard, what would I choose? I told him, hands down the Spark.

By the way, I do not use OTG and have not had a single connection/lag issue on my iPhone 7

Chris

So a little update, I have spent more time flying the Spark and things have turned around. As suggested, the video quality from the device is better than the quality from the app. Also, I purchased another OTG cable from DJI and used an Apple cord (it's way too long and looks sloppy) but it works WELL. I will start trying to fly using the wifi connection, I just don't trust it fully right now and feel more comfortable with a wired connection...and it's actually working just fine now that I have a good cable. Other than that, I've done a complete 180 since posting this initial thread!

Reactions: GearHead83
So a little update, I have spent more time flying the Spark and things have turned around. As suggested, the video quality from the device is better than the quality from the app. Also, I purchased another OTG cable from DJI and used an Apple cord (it's way too long and looks sloppy) but it works WELL. I will start trying to fly using the wifi connection, I just don't trust it fully right now and feel more comfortable with a wired connection...and it's actually working just fine now that I have a good cable. Other than that, I've done a complete 180 since posting this initial thread!
Awesome. If you have an Android device. The past two DJI app works with OTG. Although I think DJI still don't recommend it. :)

Glad you are enjoying your Spark more. I love mine and am amazed at what it can do. So, so convenient! Truly a take anywhere drone.
So far my WiFi connection has been solid. The only time the app complains about the WiFi connection is when I am in an area with lots of WiFi networks around. I’m not sure if a wired connection would solve this as both my drones (Spark and P3S) use WiFi.

Anyway good lick and enjoy your Spark.
Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme