Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark for Search and Rescue...

ArmyofMike

Join
Sep 6, 2019
I am a member of our County Search and Rescue Mountaineering Team and may use my Spark to assist in some aerial viewing of the operational area soon. I'm not sure the capability of the Spark is excellent for this type of task, but if it helps provide clues, insight or best scenario (location) then I am grateful.

It's not 100% that I will use it, but a possibility at this time. Has anyone else used their Spark for SAR? Any pointers or tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
M

Reactions: RotorWash
I don't have experience with SAR and drones but someone here probably does. For now you may find some of these videos from 'Drone U' worthwhile. I watched them recently as I find the topic interesting and think it's a great way to use a drone. Good luck to you!

How to conduct search and rescue missions with drones

Drone Search and Rescue – How to Train a Pilot to Fly a Successful Mission

What is the best drone for search and rescue? Should I use the Inspire 1 XT?

LiDAR Drone for Search and Rescue | Can Lidar Penetrate Snow, and Help in Search and Rescue?

I have used mine with my sar team. Alot of politics though so I keep it for when I am away from command. They know I am using and ok with it but dont want the headache of someone asking about it. Regulations are changing here and will be for the better here. I find it quite helpful while out in the mountains looking for lost subjects.

I do beach surveillance with Phantom 4 pro and it's not so easy. The FOV is an issue and glare on the screen makes object recognition difficult.

In search and rescue I learned something that goes like this....Be part of the Solution....Don’t become part of the Problem.

Get involved with a group like DSARs.....A Spark is a very stable platform. Practice with a group that encourages you to learn Litchi and hone your skills with flight time and mentors.

With boots on the ground SAR it’s nice to have high dollar military issue footwear.....the reality is true warriors can show up with Wal Mart boots and contribute as well.

I think Spark is not Good for SAR. SAR should consume a lot of time to check the big area in which the spark was only 10 to 15 minutes flight time only.

Use Mavic Pro. or Mavic air.

Mr Shan,
I agree with your point about a Air or pro being a better choice of asset in a perfect world where we have all the best tools at our disposal.

I could be off topic here and if I am I do apologize.

I was involved with a small SAR team with other civilians several years back. No drones....Boots on the Ground ops.

A lot of people showed up for the first few training sessions but soon that number dwindled greatly.

The ones still active got invited to all kinda of training.....from basic first aid...basic haz mat acesment .
This was some time back...after the Hurricane Katrina incident. There were no drones then.

Again maybe off topic.

Mavic and Phantom are superior birds.

I have Phantom and Spark with multiple power cells and other devices to enhance their range and eyesight.

I train with both.

Ill leave with just the observation that if a man or woman shows up to training with a Spark....the local group if its worth much will work with a Spark Pilot to teach them all the aspects every SAR member needs to know to be part of the team.
Some of the members will let the spark owners fly their big birds in training exercises.

..in a perfect world the Mavics and Phantoms rule the air.

I like the guy who shows up for training with a spark.....even if he doesnt fly on a real world mission on the day we hope never happens...he is defenitly a ground asset and has a place on the team.
Next thing you know he might win the lottery and buy a fleet of Inspires with every form of sensor and have Ground Stations with 43 inch screens.....

Spark pilots who train train train....are worthy investments in my humble opinion.

Not many fighter pilots start out with F-16 s.....they usually start with lesser birds.

The Spark is a great gateway into civilian SAR....at least that’s my opinion.....your mileage may differ.

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef