Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark or Q500

Monstertails

Join
Jun 19, 2019
I have the option to purchase a typhoon Q500 4K or the DJI spark,I have been back-and-forth for the last two days reading and watching videos and I am still unable to make a decision. I am looking for recommendations, those are the two options and only the two options I have, The Q500 is obviously going to be they refurbished model from the factory Due to it being discontinued but the spark would be new. Can I get some recommendations from everyone? Thanks in advance. I’ve owned Several DJI products before but never anything from yuneec and was looking for some good advice.

I will go for the yuneec if have same price just because it have a built-in screen, 4k and maybe same kind of range. I know yuneec is very famous in providing very short range, even in their most expensive aircrafts.

I have the option to purchase a typhoon Q500 4K or the DJI spark,I have been back-and-forth for the last two days reading and watching videos and I am still unable to make a decision. I am looking for recommendations, those are the two options and only the two options I have, The Q500 is obviously going to be they refurbished model from the factory Due to it being discontinued but the spark would be new. Can I get some recommendations from everyone? Thanks in advance. I’ve owned Several DJI products before but never anything from yuneec and was looking for some good advice.

The range is what really scares me

I’ve had the Q500 as my first “real” drone, and have had a Spark for about a year. The Q500 was stable and smooth, but slow. It didn’t have braking or a pause button, so you really had to be a step ahead of the drone. It is big, which makes it easier to see, but harder to carry or travel with. The camera was ok, but not great. It came in an aluminum case, very nice and very heavy. I quit using it because of the size and weight. The Spark is small, light, and easy to carry around. The camera is as good as the Q500.’s if not better. The Q500 has a better gimble which results in smoother footage. The Spark is a lot of fun to own and fly. I now have a Mavic 2 Zoom, but I kept the Spark and sold the Q500.

I am not to worried about flight time, it’s range that worries me. I would like to see at least 1500-1800 feet

Are you from Europe, cos if you are the spark has a shorter range of 150/200m on a good day.
The spark also enforces no fly zones etc

Avoid the Q500 at all costs. As mentioned above my 2nd serious drone was a Typhoon Q and it was fine for the first year. Since then things really went downhill, including a flyaway that thankfully didnt do any damage and was recovered. Biggest problem is support. Yuneec hasn’t updated the drone software in a while, but they promised camera updates that didn’t come either. My CGO 4 has a 20 degree horizontal tilt that should have been fixed with the update, but remains useless.

Take the spark.

Jake

Reactions: macoman
I own a Spark, a P3A, and Mavic Pro Platinum. My buddy let me fly his Q500. My favorite of them all is the Mavic.

But since your choice the Spark or the Q500, here are a few things to consider:

- Q500 is very quiet - or at least SEEMS quiet, because it has a much lower frequency buzz since the blades are so much larger than the Spark.
- Spark is pretty noisy - there is no doubt it is flying nearby, and everyone knows it. Even the Mavic Pro Platinum is quieter.
- Q500 is very large. This is great to help see, but not so great when you want to grab it and go.
- Spark is very small. I have my spark along with three batteries and the charger and remote in a clarinet-sized case I always keep with me in the trunk, just in case. I can have it ready to take off in just a minute or two.
- Video on the Q500 will be superior to the Spark (4k vs. 1080), but it depends what you are using it for.

I'd get the A500, and save up and buy a Spark too! Then you'll have the best of both worlds. Used Sparks can be had for about $300 with 2 batteries.

I have a Chroma 4K (very similar to Q500) and the controller says "Yuneec". The controller is nice with built in screen (had to replace it once) Once the drone had brain farts and got totally lost and took off on it's own while near me. Smashed into the garage and broke off a few things. I was able to repair it kind of and now use it for others to learn to fly with. The camera lost all control etc. I've had to send it into horizon hobby before and their repair work was great, quick and very reasonable.
The spark I've had for about 6 months and really love it! What I love the most is it is compact and easy to carry around to various places. The camera (when it worked) on the chroma I feel is better and had a functional 3-way gimble. I knew the spark's camera was limited but I do miss that third axis. The range on the spark I found to be better also.

Seems to me the best advice comes from someone who owns both, like JCBFF.

As far as tacking a question on the end of an old thread. Don't.

Spark shoots 1080p recorded on the SD card. The video on your phone is ok for seeing what you just did, but use the SD card and a computer for editing and posting your video.

ill run from the Q-500 i heard horror stories about them dropping from the sky. never would i have believe it if it din't happen to me. i had 2 of them they drop dead on mid air. the last one i lost my brand new go pro.
don't fly that big bird over people please,

Reactions: macoman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit