Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark OTG Cable soon officially supported, probably next Go App Version

Anybody know if this cable will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Rantow-Braided-Cables-Remote-Controller/dp/B0721425GF

Description says: "Nylon Braided remote controller cables for DJI Mavic Pro drone. NOTE: Please don't use it for DJI Spark Drone remote controller."

Comments say though:
" Yes it does work for the spark."
" I'm using it with my Spark...works great!!"
" Yes I use the two I purchased with the DJI Spark."
"I ordered the 20.7 cm Micro USB to Lightning cable. This cable DOES work with my Spark controller! The cable is an OTG adapter, one end connects to the Spark controller, the other directly into my iPhone or my iPad.!"
Should do. OTG is OTG.

No, it has said that for many months.
In most industries. Careful wording and accurate descriptions are important to avoid legalities. Unfortunately with DJIs case it just causes confusion. I'm sure in the future it will be supported.

I downloaded and installed the new DJI GO update for iOS; as a previous poster said it appears to work just fine with all telemetry on the screen and supporting OTG now.

Still waiting for them to post the Android version on the Google Play store. I froze my GO app version at .15 on my Android devices until they fix the OTG issue.

I downloaded and installed the new DJI GO update for iOS; as a previous poster said it appears to work just fine with all telemetry on the screen and supporting OTG now.

Still waiting for them to post the Android version on the Google Play store. I froze my GO app version at .15 on my Android devices until they fix the OTG issue.
Latest version of Android is out. Seems like it doesn't support it. Android.

Yeah, they do. I have camera settings on one of them, and it came right up.

I’ve never used OTG as I’ve never had an issue, but I’m going to give it a try on Friday and see how it compares.

So how did it go? I'm curious as, like you, I've never had an issue with wi fi but I'd like to use OTG in some circumstances.

And OTG cable is just that, a cable. What really matters is the protocol implemented over the top of the cable. They have implemented a protocol that works with CrystalSky, however only bits of it worked with the phone app and that was by co-incidence. They have now implemented more on IOS and have done some work on Android but not fully.

Ok, OTG sortof works for me.

I can connect, see image, and control the aircraft.

While it indicates GPS lock, it does not tell me how many satellites. Also, I cannot change any settings in the menus.

I'll stick with wifi for now.

And OTG cable is just that, a cable. What really matters is the protocol implemented over the top of the cable. They have implemented a protocol that works with CrystalSky, however only bits of it worked with the phone app and that was by co-incidence. They have now implemented more on IOS and have done some work on Android but not fully.

Just to be clear for everyone, OTG with the Spark and Crystalsky does not work. Crazy eh, considering that Crystalsky is DJI's own screen platform.

Just to be clear for everyone, OTG with the Spark and Crystalsky does not work. Crazy eh, considering that Crystalsky is DJI's own screen platform.
If crystalsky doesn't work then I'm assuming it only works with the mount? Or crystalsky simply doesn't work with the spark.

If crystalsky doesn't work then I'm assuming it only works with the mount? Or crystalsky simply doesn't work with the spark.

It works with wifi only, not with any kind of an OTG cable including DJI's mount.
And since CS is currently using Go4 version 4.2.18 it will not work with the new Mavic Air until there is an update for CS.

I have been flying DJIs for 3 years now, Phantom 3 and 4 and Inspire 2. I use them professionally for survey mapping and inspection. I just picked up a Spark for personal use and a trainer for the bigger UAVs. One thing I have always wished for from DJI was to get rid of the need to connect the tablet to the controlller with a wire. My favorite feature of the Spark is the wireless connection to the controlller. I can not believe all of this talk here and several other forums wanting to be able to use a cable when the wifi connection works perfectly. No one has proven an OTG cable makes for any improvement. So weird that DJI wants to simplify things for us but we are here complaining and trying to force them to support this feature that I was so happy to see go away. I do not think cables make the perfect connection. They can frey, contacts get worn, and you can lose or forget the cable.

I have been flying DJIs for 3 years now, Phantom 3 and 4 and Inspire 2. I use them professionally for survey mapping and inspection. I just picked up a Spark for personal use and a trainer for the bigger UAVs. One thing I have always wished for from DJI was to get rid of the need to connect the tablet to the controlller with a wire. My favorite feature of the Spark is the wireless connection to the controlller. I can not believe all of this talk here and several other forums wanting to be able to use a cable when the wifi connection works perfectly. No one has proven an OTG cable makes for any improvement. So weird that DJI wants to simplify things for us but we are here complaining and trying to force them to support this feature that I was so happy to see go away. I do not think cables make the perfect connection. They can frey, contacts get worn, and you can lose or forget the cable.
Because on Android, WiFi is the pits. Random video lag, sometimes lasting in excess of 10 seconds. Random disconnects. Poor video quality. These are non-issues with an OTG cable and version 4.1.15 of the Go4 app.

Reactions: gadgetman
Because on Android, WiFi is the pits. Random video lag, sometimes lasting in excess of 10 seconds. Random disconnects. Poor video quality. These are non-issues with an OTG cable and version 4.1.15 of the Go4 app.
I see, thanks for clarifying. I have been using my iphone 6 and had none of those issues although I just 3d printed a mount for my android tablet and was about to try it out. Now I know what to expect. Thanks again

I just tried out OTG connections. I have an OTG cable from the Phantom 4 and this little $0.64 adapter gearbest dm otg micro usb adapter - Google Search: they work identically. Instantly connects on iphone, will not connect to samsung Tab S2. You can use any lightning cable with this little adapter. By the way, flying in Northern Canada at -25deg C

I just tried out OTG connections. I have an OTG cable from the Phantom 4 and this little $0.64 adapter gearbest dm otg micro usb adapter - Google Search: they work identically. Instantly connects on iphone, will not connect to samsung Tab S2. You can use any lightning cable with this little adapter. By the way, flying in Northern Canada at -25deg C

Android Wifi isnt as bad as some think. I have no issues on my Xperia XA1 Ultra, and it is a bugdet/midrange device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar