Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark OTG set-up not working

Here's how we do our setup (and the order may not be critical):

Connect Cable to both devices
Power on Transmitter
Power on Tablet/Device
Power on aircraft

It's possible you have a faulty cable so try an alternate cable if possible.

Good luck :)
Exactly that! There are some cables that might just charge and others that can transfer data and charge. I wasted many minutes thinking my laptop or cellphone wasn't working only to grab another cable and voila! Data transfer!

Reactions: BigAl07
FWIW I got a "direct" OTG cable that was USB C one end, micro USB the other. I tried it with my Moto phone and it did NOT work. A micro USB OTG adapter on the RC and the charge / data cable that came with the phone DOES work. Not sure if the direct cable is wrong direction, just defective, or what. My solution has been to use an old Nexus 7 tablet with a OTG cable that is micro USB on both ends.

Is that hooked up backwards in the pic? When I put the usb end into the remote, it sucks the phone battery dry. When I put the lightning bolt in the remote, it charges the phone...VERY quickly. Which end goes in the remote and which end goes in the phone?

An OTG cable has a host end. With the Spark set-up, the host end should be connected to the remote. So if both ends of the cable are micro USB, the "problem" is easy to solve - you simply swap ends. But what if one end is micro USB and other end is USB type C (for the phone)? In this case, if you wrongly ordered a cable with host end on the USB type C port, you have no other option than to replace the cable. To cut things short, the host end of the OTG cable should always be on the Spark RC. So either you carefully choose a cable with a micro USB host end or buy a micro USB to USB OTG adapter as shown in the picture below. The advantage of using this adapter is that you can use the data transfer cables which are supplied with any phone.

71yohFzvITL._SY355_.jpg

My OTG cable has two micro-USB 90 degree connectors, one slightly deeper than the other. The deeper one with goes into my phone through the RC grip. The other connector has the universal USB symbol and connects to the RC. Initially, I thought they were functionally interchangeable, but I discovered they are not and would only work in the connection described.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
My OTG cable has two micro-USB 90 degree connectors, one slightly deeper than the other. The deeper one with goes into my phone through the RC grip. The other connector has the universal USB symbol and connects to the RC. Initially, I thought they were functionally interchangeable, but I discovered they are not and would only work in the connection described.

Having the host end of the cable in the proper position is a must. It is the same when using an external microphone when recording video with your smart phone. If it’s not marked on the cable I will mark the host end with a marker or drop of paint to make it easier.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Mine has micro USB on both ends. One end is marked with a lightning bolt, the other is a USB symbol. I've gathered the bolt goes in the remote and USB in the phone. I'm not sure what the phone should be set at. When I plug it in I get a phone is charging message...tap for options. The options are charge, file transfer, photo transfer and MIDI. Presuming file/photo transfer aren't the correct choice, just keep it on charging? The Wi=Fi on the phone is disabled? Sorry...new to the OTG thing.

Aside from the bulk of this thread having to do with the OTG cable itself and which end to plug into which device, you may need to do this (Android phone):

-Open SETTINGS on phone
-Open ABOUT PHONE/SOFTWARE INFO/BUILD NUMBER, rapidly tap 7 times to access DEVELOPER OPTIONS, enter PIN if prompted
-Return to SETTINGS menu, tap DEVELOPER OPTIONS
-Under DEBUGGING, enable USB DEBUGGING
under NETWORKING, tap USB CONFIGURATION, select MTP, exit SETTINGS

Turn off WiFi, enable AIRPLANE mode

1. Turn Spark on
2. Turn RC on - wait for green light showing linked to drone
3. Plug OTG cable into phone
4. Plug OTG cable into RC - should auto-load Go4

Reactions: Spark 317
Aside from the bulk of this thread having to do with the OTG cable itself and which end to plug into which device, you may need to do this (Android phone):

-Open SETTINGS on phone
-Open ABOUT PHONE/SOFTWARE INFO/BUILD NUMBER, rapidly tap 7 times to access DEVELOPER OPTIONS, enter PIN if prompted
-Return to SETTINGS menu, tap DEVELOPER OPTIONS
-Under DEBUGGING, enable USB DEBUGGING
under NETWORKING, tap USB CONFIGURATION, select MTP, exit SETTINGS

Turn off WiFi, enable AIRPLANE mode

1. Turn Spark on
2. Turn RC on - wait for green light showing linked to drone
3. Plug OTG cable into phone
4. Plug OTG cable into RC - should auto-load Go4

Worked like a charm. Thanx for the info. :) Soooooo much better flying OTG

Reactions: Haggi

Members online

No members online now.