Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Remote teardown / internals...

Ender

Join
Jun 2, 2017
Hi !
I was curious ;-)

I started with the Mavic Tx Teardown guide but then learned about the differences:

-1- dont remove the phone holder arms, different mechanics here...
-2- of couse no LCD but dont worry about buttons as they are better integrated in one solid element
-3- THINK of pulling two ribbon cables to the stick / button top part (closeup shows latch that has to be turned up in red circle)

All in all it was easy, scary parts were the first step (front board, beginning is always the hardest) AND popping the Antennae.

But it all worked out, just think of using a plastic pry tool and no metal.
This way i got it done scratchless and can put it together withou any damage (technical & optical).

I'll play aorund with differend ANtennae and/or Boosters soon...

You are of course allowed to repost my images (no rocket science involved) but please at least give "Ender" kudos, will you ? It DID cost some drips of sweat (that were unjustified in the end...)

Ender

Stuff:
I started out with this video, Kudos to Daniel:

Then i had the top removed AFTER pulling two ribbon cables by opening their lock:
ribbon_detach.jpg right_side_top_removed.jpg

Here is the full view after removing front & top, i guess the internal Antenna is connecting to the smartdevice (visible SSID) while the two front Antennae use hidden SSID or modified WiFi protocol to the spark (or ocusync at all ?!)

internal Antenna_top_removed.jpg

Removed the button board after prying away internal antenna (double sided tape only) and unlocking & pulling the ribbon cable:
button_board_removed.jpg

removed battery after pulling power connector, UFL's visible, Yihaaaa:
battery_removed,UFL_visble.jpg

removed Antenna, sortof naked remote now:
Antennae_removed_VOILA.jpg

You also may want to shut up that beeper forever under the main PCB, i will if i decide to keep it.
Same as with mavic, ******* DJI's forcing beeps on us...

Greetings,

Ender

Last edited:
Oops,
DOES anyone know if the Tx <--> Spark connection really can be 2.4 OR 5.G or ist ist just 2.4 ?
I guess the DJI GO channel / band selection is for the Smartphone Connection only and the Tx<-->Spark Connection does whatever it wants, agreed ?!?!

IF the Spark Connection really is Dualband, does anyone know smallish Dual band directional Antennae (I am using Alfa Areal Antennae but they COULD be smaller, i LOVE those FPVLR mini yagis).

Anyone ?

Ender

Ahh !
Knockout...
It seems the Spark Tx broadcasts on 2.4 & 5 simoultaneously.
So much for adding a cheap 2.4 booster and fly to Brazil...
From Observations STream comes via 5.8 & control via 2.4 but thats just based on a few observations.
But its also clear that the small PCB Antenna cares for smartphone comm only.
So if using an USB Connection we may simply pop that UFL to gain some range because of less Interference :)
But thats also just a suspicion.

I'll search for my two Alfa APA M25 Dual Band Antennae and see if they can save the day...

Ender (talking to myself a lot lately in this thread :p )

Holy McCrap...
I am clueless, i mean i am SURE that the 2 external Antennae broadcast 2.4& 5G, so far so good.
But why the heck does DJI Go show a "5.8" or "2.4" icon next to the reception display ?
Does the Tx & Spark still decide where to priorize ?
Or is it like those routers simply leaving on 2.4 & 5.8 at the same time, not caring where to connect and the Spark decides AND broadcasts its decision and the signal strength back ?

If so, why on earth did i just manage to CHOOSE and KEEP 2.4 one time ?
On that one flight the range was great (for CE Land) ---> 600m @50m Altitude, Icon was showing 2.4 all the time.
I could fly behind trees at 150m distance without big trouble.
But when i try to fly most times the icon quickly shows 2.4 and THEN switches to 5.8 and the performance is horrible.
Even ONE Tree in 10m Distance kills off the signal. DUH its 5GHz, it sux by definition if you are not in a city or need high bandwidth...

Does anyone have a clue how to switch to 2.4 Ghz and let the Spark STAY there ?

Or is it an Android DJI GO Bug ? Not long before that fabulous flight i played with my iPad Mini 4...
As i am no fan of iOS i rarely use it besides for work (App development).

ANYONE ?

Ender

P.S. i even tried to make the decision easier by generating some traffic on 5G while 2.4 was clear, i put that darn tree beside Tx & Spark but still the choice was 5.8G... WTF ?!

Thanks for showing us the insides Ender. Usually the only time we get to see the insides is when one goes SPLAT!

Okay, after i found out how to set 2.4G manually ( Manually select frequency band with RC ) i used very crappy 2.4G Antenna (6 Euro total).
I am waiting for good Antenna (Alfa APA M25) to arrive tomorrow but i am VERY open to suggestions for Mini-Directional Antenna !!!

It exceeded my expectations, NOTE that i have to bear with CE power.

Stock ANtenna @2.4GHz take me about 400m@15m Altitude.
Crappy ANtenna @ SMA mod i was flying 1000m@15m Altitude STRAIGHT.
It was getting a bit laggy but very okay.
If i would have been able to climb (STORMY, could basolutely NOT) i bet the farm that 1500m@50m would have been no Problem.
MORE IMPORTANT the Penetration was Great. In 300m Distance i was able to travel at 3m Altitude around a 8x8 Group of trees 10m High. 5.8G fails at ONE tree in 20m Distance. Stock hardly gets me there at low Altitude.
GREAT. No Mavic but GREAT.

If i image this with FCC power i get the shivers...

I also tried CHEAP 2.4 Boosters but they did bnot improve, they probably ruin SNR.
I git much better Mini Boosters that are used for another Project, will try (much) later.
I am already very satisfied, the bosster Stuff is just because i am curious...
Like this i can unscrew the better Antenna in 2x5 Seconds and dont need more Storage Space.

Here are pics of my crappy-Antenna rig and of my cheap-boosters rig (which suck).
Antenne-only-mod.jpg boosters_suck.jpg

Lordy, thats great :)

I need to find a good Solution for the SMA connectors as they do not fit inside like on the Mavic.
Ideas ? I mailed FPVLR that i'd love them to offer a sleek Solution with their Mini-Yagis like for the Mavic for the non-DIY guys out there.

Greetings,

Ender

Reactions: Peter
Okay, after i found out how to set 2.4G manually ( Manually select frequency band with RC ) i used very crappy 2.4G Antenna (6 Euro total).
I am waiting for good Antenna (Alfa APA M25) to arrive tomorrow but i am VERY open to suggestions for Mini-Directional Antenna !!!

It exceeded my expectations, NOTE that i have to bear with CE power.

Stock ANtenna @2.4GHz take me about 400m@15m Altitude.
Crappy ANtenna @ SMA mod i was flying 1000m@15m Altitude STRAIGHT.
It was getting a bit laggy but very okay.
If i would have been able to climb (STORMY, could basolutely NOT) i bet the farm that 1500m@50m would have been no Problem.
MORE IMPORTANT the Penetration was Great. In 300m Distance i was able to travel at 3m Altitude around a 8x8 Group of trees 10m High. 5.8G fails at ONE tree in 20m Distance. Stock hardly gets me there at low Altitude.
GREAT. No Mavic but GREAT.

If i image this with FCC power i get the shivers...

I also tried CHEAP 2.4 Boosters but they did bnot improve, they probably ruin SNR.
I git much better Mini Boosters that are used for another Project, will try (much) later.
I am already very satisfied, the bosster Stuff is just because i am curious...
Like this i can unscrew the better Antenna in 2x5 Seconds and dont need more Storage Space.

Here are pics of my crappy-Antenna rig and of my cheap-boosters rig (which suck).
View attachment 221 View attachment 222

Lordy, thats great :)

I need to find a good Solution for the SMA connectors as they do not fit inside like on the Mavic.
Ideas ? I mailed FPVLR that i'd love them to offer a sleek Solution with their Mini-Yagis like for the Mavic for the non-DIY guys out there.

Greetings,

Ender
Looking forward to hearing how it goes...there is hope for us in the UK:) Great work!

Hi !
a small update, the 2 Alfa Antennas arrived but the weather is horrible here.
I had a small break here without rain so i tried.
I made it to 1250m@50m Altitude, had to return as rain started again.
I "only" managed 1050m@15m as i HAD to rise because the trees coming up looked unforgiving, have to drive to a further away testground to test how much more it could go in "groundhog" mode :)

But i have the feeling i am pusihing it now, conditions are humid that decreases range quite a bit but i guess somewhere around 1500m will be the limit with smallish Antenna w/o high quality boosters.
You FCC guys probably laugh your behinds away but for CE thats really okay...

Will try again in good condition but now i start to make the mod mechanically & aesthetically more appealing...

:)

Ender

I'd be happy with that range in the UK Ender..nice one! I take it you were using 2.4ghz? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with regarding a permanent solution..

Cheers

Yees, 2.4G ! 5.8G even sucks with the Alfas, probably 500m but a single tree will still mess up things.
And the Alfas hav 10dBi in the 5G range.
Only use 5.8G if 2.4G is madly crowded which will only be the case in places where i wont fly anyways...

Greetings,

Ender

Yep,but their Setup is hilariously huge :)
The FPVLR mini Yagi are elegant and not too directional to be uncomfortable.
But thats of course my opinion.

:)

Ender

I agree, overkill for the spark..ill check out the fpvlr:) Any word yet regarding them providing an over the shelf solution for the Spark?

Just note that the SMA pigtails in the Mavic kit will not fit. I emailed them and told them about the problem an i try to design something for 3D print...
But the Antennae are great.

Ender

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef