Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Replacement the Mavic Mini

Hotwire

Join
Jun 25, 2017
Loc
Australia
The new Mavic mini due Tuesday will be the Spark replacement. 4k video and tiny from factor will likely mean no more Spark. :-(

:(

I don't think we're going to see a new drone on Tuesday. It'll most likely be the release for the Osmo Mobile 3.

OsmoMobile3.jpg

1565529986299.png

Reactions: Highflyer
That's what I thought. Why sell 2 products at the same price, when one is an improvement on the other.

That Link did not work for me... found this one

And of course, like any "new" technology, our accessories won't work on the newest toy.

Last edited:
In all of the pictures I've seen the CONTROLLER seems to be missing. Is this thing going to run directly from the phone? That makes it look a lot like a $400 Tello. I gave my Tello to my grand-daughter and I am not wanting another one.

Reactions: matt48
And unfortunately one of the worst features of the Spark appears to be one of the features of this one as well... WiFi instead of Occusync :( So expect plenty of fly aways or disconnects with this one too...

Is this thing going to run directly from the phone?
I doubt it since DJI has remote controllers for all of their drones.

Planned obsolescence ... again. ?

Wow lots to be thinking about. Any excuse to improve on my little Spark, which is a brilliant machine and serving me very well still, over the next 12 months will be welcome.

And unfortunately one of the worst features of the Spark appears to be one of the features of this one as well... WiFi instead of Occusync :( So expect plenty of fly aways or disconnects with this one too...

I thought so too. Interesting in updating to mavic or phantom for the better range.

Ya, I think many of us, once we've Sparkled for a while, start to long for a third axis, better bitrate, and FPS.... I am headed for the M2Zoom hopefully before the snow flies up here. So replacing my Spark with something that has some but not all of those features does not make sense to me. Size matters too...:p:eek: I live in a windy world, so more mass is going to be an improvement for me. I think tomorrow its going to be the Osmo3 in one hand your wallet/pocketbook in the other ;)

I have a nice job now, but I'm still kindof penniless, so a new drone is a ways down the priority list.

I don't think the new mavic is something you'd upgrade from spark, unless you really wanted the 4k camera, but would be a great gateway drug like the spark was for us.

If it uses wifi ... I’m OUT
Already had a mis-connect, flyaway in Europe. Lucky that I got it back at all.
Just 1 broken prop. I have Mavic Pro & Mavic Zoom ... never (so far) had a
mis-connect. Not even on my Phantom 3 Advanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt48 and geomic87
If it uses wifi ... I’m OUT
Already had a mis-connect, flyaway in Europe. Lucky that I got it back at all.
Just 1 broken prop. I have Mavic Pro & Mavic Zoom ... never (so far) had a
mis-connect. Not even on my Phantom 2 Advanced.
Me too.

And it moves to a different weight category with (at least in Germany) new restrictions.

No doubt many were disappointed the Aug. 13 new product announced by DJI didn't include a drone. It may have to do with DJI's plan to incorporate AirSense in all models beginning in 2020 to address the FAA's concerns over potential drone conflicts with manned aviation and the consequences thereof, leading to more egregious regulation.

Per DJI: "DJI drones with AirSense only use ADS-B In, which means they are able to see nearby traditional aircraft without congesting the airwaves by adding additional transmissions".

So, the DJI operator will be alerted to the presence of ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, but those aircraft apparently will not be alerted to the presence of the UAS. The how and what information will be presented to the UAS operator is unclear, but should be limited to pertinent data. I don't need to know I've got a 767 overhead at 35,000 ft. whereas knowing a Life Flight helo at or below 500ft AGL in the area is vital.

It's anybody's guess as to how much this feature will add to the cost of a quadcopter or the long term implications for those with "legacy" UAVs. A lot of people were hoping for a new UAV under 250 grams with at least Spark-like capabilities and pricing. Maybe someday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme