Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Toughness

bikemonster

Join
Jun 28, 2017
If this has been covered in other threads here, I apologize. Reading about Spark crashes, checking out Spark crashes on YouTube, I've noticed how often they can fly again as soon as they're dusted off.
The gimbal very rarely is damaged. With the Mavic, you look at the camera wrong and you get jello, broken gimbal ribbon cable, and broken cameras. It seems like one member of this forum that flew his Spark into a tree full speed (50 KMH), because he was frustrated suffered no gimbal damage. A lot of other damage, but it looked like the camera survived.
Anyone else noticed this? The Spark appears to be very damage resistant, and is under appreciated in this regard. I have a Mavic, Phantom 4, and Inspire 1. The little spark is starting to be my go to drone. Indoor flying is very stable and smooth, a topic for another thread.

Last edited:
I've had 2 minor crashes. Clipped a small branch running out of battery and force landing. Couple of dirt scuffs and that was it. Second crash I hit some lava rock (obstacle avoidance turned off) and the spark fell a foot or two. I lost an LED light cover on one of the props. Both were at slow speeds, but both made me hold my breath and expect the worst. Spark was able to fly immediately after both instances. No damage or scuffs on the gimbal so far. This is my first DJI product so I can't compare with the mavic or phantoms, but I've been very pleased. Haven't seen the crash you referenced in your post, but the spark seems to be rugged enough for what it is.

IMG_0029.JPG
I've had 2 minor crashes. Clipped a small branch running out of battery and force landing. Couple of dirt scuffs and that was it. Second crash I hit some lava rock (obstacle avoidance turned off) and the spark fell a foot or two. I lost an LED light cover on one of the props. Both were at slow speeds, but both made me hold my breath and expect the worst. Spark was able to fly immediately after both instances. No damage or scuffs on the gimbal so far. This is my first DJI product so I can't compare with the mavic or phantoms, but I've been very pleased. Haven't seen the crash you referenced in your post, but the spark seems to be rugged enough for what it is.

Hi. The title of the thread I was referring to was
"Crashed my spark intentionally out of anger." IMG_0029.JPG
Here's a picture that was in the thread. No apparent damage to the camera. Almost indestructible.

The Spark weighs significantly less than other DJI products, so crashes have a lot less momentum, which leads to less damage. Same thing with my race drones, a 5 inch prop drone breaks something every crash, while the 3 inch prop drones rarely break anything when crashing, even at similar speeds.

The Spark weighs significantly less than other DJI products, so crashes have a lot less momentum, which leads to less damage. Same thing with my race drones, a 5 inch prop drone breaks something every crash, while the 3 inch prop drones rarely break anything when crashing, even at similar speeds.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.
Flying both the Mavic and the Spark makes one aware of just how fragile, and fragile appearing the gimbaled camera is on the Mavic. It just begs to be destroyed through simple rough handling, rough landings and crashes. Regardless of size, the design and placement of the Mavic's camera seems way weaker than the Sparks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast