Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal won't auto level...my first crash!

voodoo

Join
Jan 4, 2019
Well it happened today; I had flown over a tree line, and was trying to bring the Spark back when it caught a tree branch I thought it was above. It was well within my VLOS. It tumbled and then recovered briefly, but then drifted into another branch and I watched as it tumbled the full 60' down through the limbs, hitting the ground and my fence.

After the crash it was still connected and I could see the trees through the camera and my phone screen. Once I got to it and looked it over the damage seemed minimal, especially since I was expecting it to be destroyed. One prop broken, no other visible damage other than some scrapes from the tree. However I have noticed that the gimbal tilts slightly off center, and no longer levels itself as I turn the Spark side to side.

So how do I even go about attempting to diagnose the issue and possibly repair it? It was still getting a feed so the camera itself isn't broken, but the gimbal might be. Do I just have to send it on over to DJI?

Sucks, but could have been worse.

Before I do anything I would replace the damaged props and fire it up again and then determine if there is a problem

Before I do anything I would replace the damaged props and fire it up again and then determine if there is a problem

Makes sense. I haven't tried that yet as I have just been cleaning it up. I guess there's a possibility it could "auto correct" but I just know previously that when I tilted the Spark side to side you could see the gimbal stay level, which it doesn't do now. I'll try that here in a few and let you know, thanks.

So how do I even go about attempting to diagnose the issue and possibly repair it? It was still getting a feed so the camera itself isn't broken, but the gimbal might be. Do I just have to send it on over to DJI?

Have you tried the adjustment in the gimbal settings? It may help you.

Screenshot_20180520-051201.png

Screenshot_20180520-051215.png

Have you tried the adjustment in the gimbal settings? It may help you.

I'll give that a shot. I changed out two propellers and fired it back up. It's dark now so I can't really take it out to test, but the gimbal will roll up and down, but not as smoothly as before. It will hang for a sec and then continue it's adjustment.

Still no auto level side to side. Next time I can take it outside I'll spend some time in the settings. Otherwise I guess I'll have to send it off to DJI for repair. I bought the Spark mainly to take some photos and video, so I'd like to get the full functionality of the camera back.

I will say, this thing is TOUGH to take the tumble I watched it take and still be running and now flying. Impressive.

Pics of the carnage. Overall I will have to replace 3 sets of propellers. One was sheared off, but two others had fractures through them.

I was able to wipe the body down and it looks as good as new. It landed in a soft leaf pile, the creek was 10' away.20190127_180604.jpeg20190127_180559.jpeg20190127_175800.jpeg

It must have been devastating to see your Spark lying there, unconscious.
It was devastating to hear it as it tried to recover and then tumble all the way down that tree.

When I looked at the tablet and saw the camera was still on, it made me feel a bit better but I just knew it was going to be trashed. Overall got really lucky.

I crashed my Spark into a tree and it fell about 40'. Had the same problem with the gimbal, tried correcting it with the Go app. Didn't work. Had to send it back to DJI for repair. Luckily I had care refresh.

That is usually the #1 issue with Sparks, with or without a crash.
Holding the horizon.
Especially during a pano...where the pics just won't zip together level.
That is where I got most of my warranty exchanges with DJI.
Follow the prompts as Spark317 shown in his post.
If there is still an issue, you have to send it in.

That is usually the #1 issue with Sparks, with or without a crash.
Holding the horizon.
Especially during a pano...where the pics just won't zip together level.
That is where I got most of my warranty exchanges with DJI.
Follow the prompts as Spark317 shown in his post.
If there is still an issue, you have to send it in.

I wonder if a gimbal protector might have prevented the damage. There seems to be 2 types, both non-OEM. One is a combination sun shade and the other is a clear plastic bubble. Has anyone had experience with these?

Reactions: pmshop
I wonder if a gimbal protector might have prevented the damage. There seems to be 2 types, both non-OEM. One is a combination sun shade and the other is a clear plastic bubble. Has anyone had experience with these?

The one with the sunshade will protect but on a hard collision, the camera will slap the protection fins.

Also I discovered when slowing down from Sport mode, videos will have an "eye lid" closing and opening effect as the craft pitches forward to slow down.
Looks as I described but the gimbal is actually keeping the camera level while the Spark tilts and the shade comes over the cam.

Clear plastic bubble is for transit only.
Not flight.

Are you happy with your camera sunshade?
Can you post a link to it for purchase?
Can you/do you use a filter alone with it?
thx

Are you happy with your camera sunshade?
Can you post a link to it for purchase?
Can you/do you use a filter alone with it?
thx
Hi McCloud, those ProPolar filters we discussed in another thread seemed to work ok with this sunshade HERE, no binding issues, but like pmshop mentioned, the momentary eyelid effect (partial blocking of view) as the drone tilts and the shade blocks the view impacts video shots too much for my liking.

Reactions: pmshop
So, follow up question: does the gimbal move freely when the spark is powered down? Or is it kind of locked in position?

I am asking because it still seems to have an issue when it is powered down, but when I power it on and it connects to the controller, it moves freely and the camera stays level as the spark tilts like normal.

So what I am saying is it seems to be working just fine again, at least when the Spark is powered up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502