Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sparky has the worst range

All DJI drones (and most others) use WI-FI to connect the remore to the drone. The Spark also uses it to connect the remote to your tablet / phone *unless you are using the OTG cable thing.. You really need to check all your WI--FI settings no matter what drone you're flying to get the best signal.
My Mavics use Ocusync, not WiFi.

Different communication systems, provide different range, latency, video characteristics, and multi-connection capabilities.

WiFi settings of Spark, provide a manual channel selection, to eliminate interference, but in populated areas it's difficult to find a free channel.

All DJI drones (and most others) use WI-FI to connect the remore to the drone. The Spark also uses it to connect the remote to your tablet / phone *unless you are using the OTG cable thing.. You really need to check all your WI--FI settings no matter what drone you're flying to get the best signal.

Actually...

DJI's Phantom and Inspire and Matrice drones use Lightbridge to connect to the remote control unit

And DJI's Mavic Pro series use OcuSync

Only their lower end DJI drones use WiFi

Last edited:
Actually...

DJI's Phantom and Inspire and Matrice drones use Lightbridge to connect to the remote control unit

Only their lower end DJI drones use WiFi

Just DJI's propietary "wifi" formula renamed to something mysterious. And wasn't Light bridge in the phantom 3 pretty much the exact same range if not worse then what we achieve now with reg wifi on the spark?

Just DJI's propietary "wifi" formula renamed to something mysterious. And wasn't Light bridge in the phantom 3 pretty much the exact same range if not worse then what we achieve now with reg wifi on the spark?

Yep. The Phantom 3 was released four years ago. So its range is not really competitive with more modern wifi drones.

OcuSync on my MP1 is rock solid. Never even blinks. Love it. Wish I could say the same for my Spark

Yep. The Phantom 3 was released four years ago. So its range is not really competitive with more modern wifi drones.

OcuSync on my MP1 is rock solid. Never even blinks. Love it. Wish I could say the same for my Spark

And Ocusync 2 is even more stable.
I have never seen a signal drop, while flying my M2Z.

I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and Spark, and P3A has much better range. Probably double.

The Phantom 3 Standard never had Lightbridge and probably had a range comparable or less than the Spark.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and Spark, and P3A has much better range. Probably double.

The Phantom 3 Standard never had Lightbridge and probably had a range comparable or less than the Spark.

Totally agree.

Clearly nor all RF communication is created equal. It's overly simplistic to just label it all "WiFi" and pass off the differences as mere marketing.

One comparison flight between an MP1 and a Spark is all anybody needs for confirmation. OcuSync and LightBridge may be marketing terms but the research and technology behind them are undisputable.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Totally agree.

Clearly nor all RF communication is created equal. It's overly simplistic to just label it all "WiFi" and pass off the differences as mere marketing.

One comparison flight between an MP1 and a Spark is all anybody needs for confirmation. OcuSync and LightBridge may be marketing terms but the research and technology behind them are undisputable.
Well said. People also forget that it is not always the "range" which needs comparison. A solid connection is essential for a good live feed, without which filming is impossible. Take the Mavic Air for example. It may not be too far ahead of the Spark in terms of range with its Enhanced WiFi but there is no denying the fact that the live feed it gives is way better than the Spark's.

Reactions: Andre Levite

I was talking about the p3 standard, but thanks for telling us what we all knew in that the p3 advanced would fly further....... Advanced means better than standard right? LOL.

FCC... I am in the US plus yes, there are a lot WiFi devices in this area from others homes

You might want something a little bigger if your going to use it out over the water. Did you get your replacement evo yet?

You might want something a little bigger if your going to use it out over the water. Did you get your replacement evo yet?
Not yet, they received the returned items today, do you know how long it takes for them to send me the replacement?

Actually...

TE="Akuen_527, post: 87249, member: 16820"]
Just DJI's propietary "wifi" formula renamed to something mysterious.
[/QUOTE]

Correct - Lightbridge and Ocusync both use custom IEEE_802.11 protocols to TX/RX. It is far more powerful than a standard WI-FI connection, but it's still a form of WI-FI.

Reactions: pmshop
TE="Akuen_527, post: 87249, member: 16820"]
Just DJI's propietary "wifi" formula renamed to something mysterious.

Correct - Lightbridge and Ocusync both use custom IEEE_802.11 protocols to TX/RX. It is far more powerful than a standard WI-FI connection, but it's still a form of WI-FI.
[/QUOTE]

No kidding ⬆⬆⬆

Not all WiFi is equal

Weird. I've been doing lots of flights 1000 meters away and 1000 meters in height with NO OTG cable or any other accessories but the stock controller. Always in an open area though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit