Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Special Use Airspace - on Hover and AirMap but not FAA

Magnetic

Join
Nov 28, 2017
We have a smaller Military base near us - according to the Hover and AirMap apps there is an oblong "Special Use Airspace" shaded in light blue around the base - some areas extending 7-8 miles away, some only a couple miles.

However, when I went on the FAA B4UFly map, they only show red in the are directly around the base, but nothing extending as far out as the other two maps (not even a yellow circle!).

Who should I believe? I would think the FAA map should be the main source, but it just seemed odd to me.

I wanted to fly my drone at a local park which has a 2 mile trail through large open fields - but it 3/4 of the trail extends into the edge of the light blue area according to Hover and AirMap.

I feel like the FAA wants people to be safe, but their app is really awful and inconsistent with other maps. I've found DJI, B4UFly (FAA), Hover and AirMap all have slightly different information depending where you are looking to fly.

but their app is really awful and inconsistent with other maps
You're talking about a Federal Agency that is probably under staffed and IMO really doesn't care about a bunch of toy drones. They put out a bunch of guideline and request that we pay our $5 to register. I can think of a more minimalist approach.

Yeah, it looks like it shows up outlined in the charts, though it’s a little hard to follow to see my exact area in question. The outlined shape looks the same as AirMap more or less though.

So I’m assuming it’s a no fly zone then?

I’m only 3 months into droning so I’m not 100% familiar with these maps, but I’m trying to learn!

I’d like to eventually consider getting my part 107 one day.

Also see if there's an altitude range on the airspace. I've seen some that go from 1500 upwards (for example). In that case, being restricted to 400ft, you wouldn't be violating anything.

Use
First of all the B4UFly app is not really very good, in my opinion.

Have you taken a look at the sectional charts for that area to see if the "special use area" shows up there?

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

That might give you more information about the airspace.

+ 1 If you mouse over the military airbase on Skyvector you will typically see a pop up like the following;
"UAS Operations Prohibited SFC - 400' AGL"

The majority of the Military bases I've looked at on SkyVector, UAS flights are prohibited from SFC (Surface) ground level to 400' AGL (Above Ground Level).

According to the vector map using the LON / LAT of where I want to fly, the area is sitting right on the magenta border with the straight lines (military area) - but I can't find the AGL designation. South along the border in blue it says 70|40 - is that what I should be looking for? I remember reading something that said the bottom number * 100 means something?

According to google maps, my location is 5.86 miles NW from the closest section of the runway.

Sorry, i'm new to these maps.

I'm guessing maybe I'd just rather play it safe then sorry - but the other part of me would like to learn what the map means.

Use

+ 1 If you mouse over the military airbase on Skyvector you will typically see a pop up like the following;
"UAS Operations Prohibited SFC - 400' AGL"

The majority of the Military bases I've looked at on SkyVector, UAS flights are prohibited from SFC (Surface) ground level to 400' AGL (Above Ground Level).

I moused over but I didn't see any readings

70|40 means that the airspace where that designation is applicable starts at 4000 feet MSL (above mean sea level) and ends at 7000 feet MSL. Typically, that would be a designation that applies to the airspace around an airport such as Class B or Class C. Blue would likely mean that it is Class B airspace.

Also, MOAs are not restricted areas. They are caution areas. But if there is other airspace overlaying the MOA that would apply as well.

You can check for NOTAMs at 1800wxbrief.com. This will let you know if the MOA is active or not.

To hone in onto a specific location in order to get a more precise determination of if you can fly there or not, you will need to do the following How to Overlay Sectional Aeronautical Charts in Google Earth

If where your intending to fly is outside of the surrounding magenta border and you can prove it by overlaying the aeronautical chart on a more precise map, then there is no reason why you cannot fly there unless either DJI's stupid NFZ has you locked out or you are within another airspace that starts from the surface.

If you are within Class B airspace listed as 70/40 that is outlined with a solid blue line, the notation of 70 = 7000' MSL is the top level of that airspace and 40 = 4000' MSL which is the bottom level of that airspace. If you are within the this area, but outside of the air bases own restricted area outlined in magenta, then you need to be paying attention to the altitude that is indicated within the blue circle directly around the military base itself. Typically the air space immediately around a military base is going to be much lower than 4000' MSL within 5 miles. So I would say "No" that you must be looking at the wrong thing.

One of the only military bases I know of on the Aeronautical map listed as you describe is Belle Chase Naval Air Base, which is located not too far from New Orleans International Airport . The military base itself is surrounded by restricted air space SFC - 400' AGL and surrounding outside of the restricted airspace, the military bases own Class B airspace starts at 2500', while also being within the New Orleans International Class B Airspace 70/40.

Last edited:
In my experience, Airmap inserts a lot of their opinion, not FAA guidelines. As an example, I was flying an old abandon hospital and it had the area around an outpatient mental health facility as no fly. I really don't think folks going for counseling care about a drone in the area.
I've also read on other forums where a lot of folks' opinion of Airmap is the same as mine.

I really don't think folks going for counseling care about a drone in the area
Not unless they were schizophrenic and thought aliens were following them

In my experience, Airmap inserts a lot of their opinion, not FAA guidelines. As an example, I was flying an old abandon hospital and it had the area around an outpatient mental health facility as no fly. I really don't think folks going for counseling care about a drone in the area.
I've also read on other forums where a lot of folks' opinion of Airmap is the same as mine.

Airmap is not opinionated, It's rather composed of old outdated and no longer irrevelent information from old aeronautical maps along with the latest most current map. Before there was an outpatient mental health facility there, it was probably a helicopter pad for the main hospital. This should give you some idea of how poorly Airmap was constructed.

I have heliports listed on Airmap around me that haven't been in service for over 20 years.

Airmap is not opinionated, It's rather composed of old outdated and no longer irrevelent information from old aeronautical maps along with the latest most current map. Before there was an outpatient mental health facility there, it was probably a helicopter pad for the main hospital. This should give you some idea of how poorly Airmap was constructed.

I have heliports listed on Airmap around me that haven't been in service for over 20 years.
Nope, never a helipad. The helipad for the hospital is still there plus the mental health place is a block away and across the street, plus it is an old building, been there awhile. Also, if you click on it, it says the clinic.

Last edited:
Nope, never a helipad. The helipad for the hospital is still there plus the mental health place is a block away and across the street, plus it is an old building, been there awhile.

Your not helping in support of Airmaps defense at all...

Yes, but this is not relevant to the area that the OP is seeing on the map. He is seeing a special use area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast