Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

St Paul MN Cathedral part 2!

There should be some searchable contests online.
If you are in the states, maybe print it out on a 16"x20" poster, put it in a nice frame and enter it in the county fair?
Good idea on the county fair! MN State Fair is the best in the USA and they have tons of contests during the two weeks of it being open, I'll check that out also. Thanks for the info! Thanks for the good vibes on my drone shots!

I live close to the Cathedral in St Paul MN. I can't help on a nice night to not go throw the drone up and get a few pics. Just having some fun!

Very nice pick!

How were you able to fly within the St. Paul Airport Traffic Area? I would have expected the Go 4 app to restrict takeoff in the area of the Cathedral given the proximity to the airport? Please explain.

Very nice pick!

How were you able to fly within the St. Paul Airport Traffic Area? I would have expected the Go 4 app to restrict takeoff in the area of the Cathedral given the proximity to the airport? Please explain.

Easy - he is not in the range of the DJI no-fly
Attached is the actual DJI Fly-Safe map for the area.

Still, should notify ATC ST. Paul and the two heliports in the area according to AirMap.

Remember, when using AirMap, zoom in all the way to your point to fly.
If not, AirMap lists ALL the restrictions/ warnings in the entire screen area.

Attachments

• St Paul.JPG
    St Paul.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 26
Easy - he is not in the range of the DJI no-fly
Attached is the actual DJI Fly-Safe map for the area.

Still, should notify ATC ST. Paul and the two heliports in the area according to AirMap.

Remember, when using AirMap, zoom in all the way to your point to fly.
If not, AirMap lists ALL the restrictions/ warnings in the entire screen area.

My mistake! I was working from memory as both an airplane and helicopter pilot with flight knowledge of both the airport and the helipads noted. I failed to actually confirm my memory against the drone apps, either UAV or DJI Fly Safe. It is always best to confirm with the apps as you did!

From memory it seemed like the no fly zone would have gone as far out as the Cathedral, but it does not. Nice to know! Thanks again for the clarification!

I would still like to hear directly from the Spark pilot who actually flew there to hear what steps, if any, he may have taken when flying in that area. The photo was a very good one, irrespective of my question!

My mistake! I was working from memory as both an airplane and helicopter pilot with flight knowledge of both the airport and the helipads noted. I failed to actually confirm my memory against the drone apps, either UAV or DJI Fly Safe. It is always best to confirm with the apps as you did!

From memory it seemed like the no fly zone would have gone as far out as the Cathedral, but it does not. Nice to know! Thanks again for the clarification!

I would still like to hear directly from the Spark pilot who actually flew there to hear what steps, if any, he may have taken when flying in that area. The photo was a very good one, irrespective of my question!

I understand completely.
The thing that is the same everywhere across the USA is use Airmap at the least least to see what airports, helipads you have to notify of your flight. When I had to check in at McCarran, I had to provide distance, direction, altitude, time and that it was a recreational flight.
That usually is the standard.

The thing you may be looking for is any city regulations that might affect the flight.

Late response, my apologies! I told some residents at the nearby apartment complex of my plans and notified a police officer that was nearby, and he told me since I was going to be quick to just throw it up, keep it under 200ft, and he'd be my lookout. People thought I was some professional flying with the police, lol. I understand I was supposed to notify ATC and the helipads nearby, but I did not due to the police officer being right there with me. It was a perfect night! Being by the Cathedral is kind of in between everything so the apps (UAV & DJI Go) made no fuss, I did have to check some boxes though to take off, but was not grounded at all by no fly zones. Hope this helps!

Reactions: pmshop
Remember, as hobbyists, we are not asking permission...we are notifying them of the flight.

Case in point, my flight 4 miles near McCarran Las Vegas...
I notified them of the flight and the tower mentioned "We cannot stop you as a hobbyist" referring to the wording I used of asking permission.
He even gave me the number to the local FAA rep and they confirmed that as a hobbyist, you are notifying, not asking permission.
However, the FAA rep went on to say the cities/ municipalities are who you would be asking permission of.

Crazy thing about that flight, I was about a mile closer to the airport straight line from that guy that flew his drone at Whitney Ranch and videoed that jet coming in from the top.
I laughed at the "drone expert" the local TV stations interviewed for his opinion.
He was "WOW, he had to be at least 1500 ft up to get that shot."
Yeah, they were coming in on final approach over my position 100 - 200ft AGL

We descend on final at a 3 degrees angle. That equals to about 300 feet for every mile from the runway.

If you found planes at 200' or less, it means that you were within a mile from the runway. Were you really this close!?

Assuming that you were a mile off, and assuming that the video shooter was another mile away from you, that would put us at 2 miles from the runway, with an altitude where planes will be at 600 feet AGL.

It is hard to judge at what altitude the drone was in the video, heck even pilots have to use an altimeter because we are terrible at judging precisely. Perhaps not at 1500 like the media said, but it certainly looks close or higher than the 400 feet the FAA recommends.

I can assure you that the day I find a drone ABOVE me on approach, or anywhere I am flying for that matter, I will be pissed!!

And trust me, I understand both side of the coin, being a drone owner as well. This is why I always encourage the 400 feet max guideline.

We descend on final at a 3 degrees angle. That equals to about 300 feet for every mile from the runway.

If you found planes at 200' or less, it means that you were within a mile from the runway. Were you really this close!?

Assuming that you were a mile off, and assuming that the video shooter was another mile away from you, that would put us at 2 miles from the runway, with an altitude where planes will be at 600 feet AGL.

It is hard to judge at what altitude the drone was in the video, heck even pilots have to use an altimeter because we are terrible at judging precisely. Perhaps not at 1500 like the media said, but it certainly looks close or higher than the 400 feet the FAA recommends.

I can assure you that the day I find a drone ABOVE me on approach, or anywhere I am flying for that matter, I will be pissed!!

And trust me, I understand both side of the coin, being a drone owner as well. This is why I always encourage the 400 feet max guideline.

Tower told me that due to certain conditions were having the jets come in 200AGL at my location of 4 miles.
I confirmed by telling him yes, they look really close.

And I know I was at 4 miles because I had to give distance and direction from runway 25 L & R

I do not know what the tower was smoking, but heck we should try some!
At 4 miles, we are at 1200 feet. That looks awfully close when you are talking Airbus or Boeing size.
If they truly were at 200 feet, the noise would be so loud, THAT would have made the news!!

Helicopters being this low, yes. Jets? No freaking way. It would have to be an emergency.

I do not know what the tower was smoking, but heck we should try some!
At 4 miles, we are at 1200 feet. That looks awfully close when you are talking Airbus or Boeing size.
If they truly were at 200 feet, the noise would be so loud, THAT would have made the news!!

Helicopters being this low, yes. Jets? No freaking way. It would have to be an emergency.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that tower guy either.
He also mentioned I only had to call if I was flying part 107 and as a hobbyist, they couldn't stop me.
Seriously?

Typical of federal agencies. Ask one office, and you get this answer. Ask another office, and you get that answer.
They probably have no clue really, but as the drone industry get bigger and bigger and more recognized, it will be more standardized...

They probably have no clue really, but as the drone industry get bigger and bigger and more recognized, it will be more standardized...

or... the rules will get tougher because of the ultimate tragedy which is coming, a large airliner will crash due to an irresponsible hobbyist getting in their way... Its not if, its when.... sad to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis