Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Start-Up and Shut-Down Sequence

Tcrooksy

Join
Dec 19, 2018
Start-Up and Shut-Down sequence. For using the Spark, Controller and iPhone (with and without OTG cable) what is the best/proper way to power up and shut down these. (I have read conflicting information)

In my opinion:

Start:
Remote on
Spark on (wait until connection led is green)
Start GO4
Connect Wifi or otg

Shut down:
Spark off
Close GO4
disconnect Wifi or OTG
Remote off

I read that most RC enthusiasts in the past power up the remote first to ensure a signal is going to the RC product because it may be possible for the product to receive an errant signal from another source and possibly do something if it was turned on first and not the remote to control it.

I don't believe this scenario would affect the RC products of today but it must've happened so it's just a standard practice to ensure safety.

Really doesn't make sense to me because it still takes a few second.s for the air craft and remote to connect to each other anyway

Start-Up and Shut-Down sequence. For using the Spark, Controller and iPhone (with and without OTG cable) what is the best/proper way to power up and shut down these. (I have read conflicting information)

The sequence of connection is no longer important.

Back in the day it made a difference -- if you check the dates on the "conflicting information" it is probably just outdated (or erroneous). Even the videos on the DJI website have the old instructions.

Reactions: Tcrooksy
Random chance of another DJI RC taking control of the DJI AC in my opinion is pretty slim. The wifi signal between RC and AC probably secured similar to home wifi unless it is unsecured.

I just thought of something to try. Fly spark to one location having a mobile device waiting to take control of spark. Turn off controller once in range of the receiving mobile device.

Reactions: Tcrooksy
In my experience, the only sequence that is important is to make sure you've stopped recording before powering off the Spark.
I'm pretty sure the spark automatically stops recording when you power off anyway I never stop recording when I power off and all my videos are intact and fine. I'll give it a go when I finish work [emoji106]

I'm pretty sure the spark automatically stops recording when you power off anyway I never stop recording when I power off and all my videos are intact and fine. I'll give it a go when I finish work [emoji106]
Oh, it absolutely stops recording. It just doesn't save what you were recording at the time :D

I've personally lost some footage because I forgot to stop recording before power-off, and I've read many reports of the same behavior here and on the DJI forum. It does happen.

Agree with that. I forgot a couple of times and
no video files...

Keep doing that and we will see a "Why is my video file/SD card corrupt?" post very soon.

turn em on, turn em off
No particular order
Unless you are connected to your home WiFi
Then turn on the controller, change your mobile device WiFi to the controller, then turn on the Spark.

Yes - I have changed the on/off sequence several times and it makes no difference. Like Eric said - it takes a while for the devices to boot-up anyway.

Agree with that. I forgot a couple of times and
no video files...
The video is actually there, you just need to run a program that scans and updates the directory on the SD card. The Drone never got a chance to "close it out" when you powered it down instead of stopping the recording. Lots of good info here: How to Recover Corrupted SD Card - EaseUS

Treat the spark like any other computer when dealing with data. You dont want to take chances in simply cutting power to the spark before ending your recording. The shutter button probably executes series of commands. If it use buffers to store data then you want those to end up in permanent storage. Without knowing the details, best to give it a normal end of job.

Reactions: dat1
The sequence of connection is no longer important.

Back in the day it made a difference -- if you check the dates on the "conflicting information" it is probably just outdated (or erroneous). Even the videos on the DJI website have the old instructions.
That's not the reason.
FHSS means that by powering up the RC first, it will 'listen' for a free/low noise floor channel and hop to that frequency. After powering on the aircraft, it will link to the channel already selected by the RC which will be the cleanest available at the current location.
So yes, it is still relevant and good practice

Reactions: desert spark
My start-up sequence is RC on | connect tablet/phone wifi | Go4 on | follow steps to connect using combo.
Start-up of drone can be from the start, doesn't matter. Sometimes the drone connects quickly, sometimes you need to use the LINK procedure (final step) and press the drone battery button till you hear the beep.

I found long ago that if you do not end video before shutting down, you might corrupt the file. It happened with my first Spark but does not seem to be the case with the second one.

For shutdown, I make sure that the camera is in forward position and then press the battery button. I read that you should do this when the drone is firmly flat so as not to affect the gimbal mechanism. I used to just pick up the drone and shut it down as I was walking to the car so it was not level and probably swinging, which could be why the camera/gimbal malfunctioned and I had to change it. Same applies to startup - place it level before you hit the battery button; once it starts up, the camera/gimbal goes through a check and if it is not level, maybe the camera might get a wrong setting.

Once the drone is shut off, it is disconnected from Go4 so you just reverse the sequence. However, on every new flight, I go through the same sequence rather than leave Go4 on and start up again, which means I exit Go4 after each flight.

That's not the reason.
FHSS means that by powering up the RC first, it will 'listen' for a free/low noise floor channel and hop to that frequency. After powering on the aircraft, it will link to the channel already selected by the RC which will be the cleanest available at the current location.
So yes, it is still relevant and good practice

That is an interesting theory and technically it may work that way. But I just did the experiment myself and connected using each sequence -- including the opposite of your recommendation.

All the sequences just connected and worked flawlessly. From a practical standpoint the sequence is irrelevant. Works fine every time regardless (on iOS).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme