Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sudden video lagging using RC Controller

Thomherr

Join
Jul 7, 2019
Hi everyone. I have a number of drones, but my Spark is my favorite unit. It is 3 years old and probably has 75 flights or more. I use the Flymore RC controller, and an iPhone 11. Have used this setup now for 1.5 years and I've enjoyed good performance and excellent live video feed even at 5000-6000 feet distance. Indispensable to position drone for good shots, exposure, etc. and so on.

My last two times out, I cannot get live video to work for more than a few seconds, and when it does, it gives me a brief scene which then drops off. NOTE: Distance doesn't matter; this happens when I'm only a few INCHES away. I have updated my DJI GO 4 app and also firmware has been updated when connected to the drone through RC controller. The unit flies perfectly and is very responsive (why I love the Spark) using RC, it is ONLY the video that is failing me.

I've gone into the app and tried changing the wifi band and find it to be inconsistent, Sometimes it's on Auto (5.8 G) sometimes it's on Manual, it won't toggle from one to the other, and it's impossible to change channels, unresponsive.

I connected to the drone via iphone only, and my video was back working again, without the RC controller.

I find DJI unresponsive. Maybe that will change. Any suggestions? Is it my controller causing the problem? How can I check this out and solve or fix the problem?

Are you connecting your phone to the controller with a cable? It may be going bad. I know I have gone through a few of them.

Hey thanks. But nope. I connect to the RC through its wireless network.

Do you have any devices emitting a Bluetooth signal?

Things like wireless headphones, fit bit bands, etc. can cause WiFi interference that may affect the video transmission.

I know my Spark doesn't like it when I forget to turn off the BT on my devices when flying via Wifi.

It tells me with a warning across the top.

Reactions: RotorWash
Well I've always flown with my fitbit on. And flown around my house with several neighbor wifi nodes in the area. For 3 years, never a problem. Now I have an Apple Watch? Maybe that does it? I don't know...should I turn off the bluetooth on my phone? Leave my watch in the car? The last two places I flew it when the problem occurred I was in the middle of an open field, not even near a house or business (which is what I video and photograph). My Phantoms work fine...what changed? Unless dji swooped in and made some "tightening" adjustments to my spark firmware to force me into a mini or mavic series? I'm thinking that the problem lies with the RC since I connected directly with the phone with the watch on, inside, etc. and so on

Do you have any devices emitting a Bluetooth signal?

Things like wireless headphones, fit bit bands, etc. can cause WiFi interference that may affect the video transmission.

I know my Spark doesn't like it when I forget to turn off the BT on my devices when flying via Wifi.

It tells me with a warning across the top.
Appreciate the help btw

Reactions: Spark 317
Are you connecting your phone to the controller with a cable? It may be going bad. I know I have gone through a few of them.
Actually, I should check out if it works with a cable. How do you connect to the RC with a cable from an iphone?

Everyone, after searching many sites and forums and discussion groups, I was able to make some progress. 2 things were thought of: 1. What about connecting from my iphone with a cable to improve video and lag time? So I ordered one, it's coming in 2 days. and the big one: 2. I took off the apple watch I got for Christmas and shut it off. Then I reconnected and had my son run around the house with the drone for 10 minutes while I sat in my man cave with the controller and mobile device (all wireless). For the first time in over a month (since I got my Apple Watch) the video was flawless. --> IT WAS THE APPLE WATCH. It appears to be the case. I will take it out flying tomorrow and confirm. Wow.

Hi everyone. I have a number of drones, but my Spark is my favorite unit. It is 3 years old and probably has 75 flights or more. I use the Flymore RC controller, and an iPhone 11. Have used this setup now for 1.5 years and I've enjoyed good performance and excellent live video feed even at 5000-6000 feet distance. Indispensable to position drone for good shots, exposure, etc. and so on.

My last two times out, I cannot get live video to work for more than a few seconds, and when it does, it gives me a brief scene which then drops off. NOTE: Distance doesn't matter; this happens when I'm only a few INCHES away. I have updated my DJI GO 4 app and also firmware has been updated when connected to the drone through RC controller. The unit flies perfectly and is very responsive (why I love the Spark) using RC, it is ONLY the video that is failing me.

I've gone into the app and tried changing the wifi band and find it to be inconsistent, Sometimes it's on Auto (5.8 G) sometimes it's on Manual, it won't toggle from one to the other, and it's impossible to change channels, unresponsive.

I connected to the drone via iphone only, and my video was back working again, without the RC controller.

I find DJI unresponsive. Maybe that will change. Any suggestions? Is it my controller causing the problem? How can I check this out and solve or fix the problem?
The app should not switch between auto and manual on its own. Re flash drone firmware from pc and Re install app

You say , you have several drones ?
I experience something similar , and I use same phone with same app for spark and MP . Video streaming in wifi looks better then with OTG .
I think MP settings interfere with spark settings .
In spark RC settings menu a MP RC layout is shown , is not normal.
So I reinstalled app and am going to do first flight with spark to see if there’s a difference

Roland did you find a difference when reinstalling? I notice when using the same app, some menu items show up incorrectly if the drone is not powered on and connected. These Mavic Air menu items disappear when the Spark is connected, but show up if I last used the Mavic Air and select the Spark without it being connected.

In the beginning, I only had my spark and a small screen samsung. I never had the impression the image on my phone screen was low quality. Now I have a big screen xiaomi and I am spoiled with the HD streaming of my MP.
On the other way I can’t downgrade to earlier versions of the DJIgo4 app due to android 10 which doesn’t accept earlier versions . Anyway last flights , I have the impression that when I start a flight image seems much better the first minutes . I have the impression too quality goes up and down . But range in FCC is still about 2000 + meters
About the layout of RC settings . As long as I use only Litchi or I connect Spark to DJIgo4 in wifi mode everything is normal . Latest DJIgo4 claimed to have “enhanced” video streaming , so DJI changed something

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme