Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The stupid 50 metre rule

shiningmonk

Join
Feb 14, 2019
I need to check my roof tiles. Trouble is that if I use my Spark, then I'm potentially breaking the law since it will be within 50 metres of other people's houses, even though I won't fly over their properties or deliberately film them. I suspect that nobody is going to care what I do (and I'm sure, from many YouTube videos I've seen, that a lot of drone users pay little attention to this rule anyway). But why should I be at risk of prosecution when the only inconvenience will be a noise similar to an electric lawn mower? Does anyone else agree that the law, which is probably contrary to ECHR Article 8 (right to enjoy home), needs to be changed to include exceptions to allow people to fly within 50 metre of other people or property? Just what those exceptions ought to be may be a matter of debate.

Have a little chat with your neighbours..
Tell them the purpose of your flight..
No harm done.

Be very observant of the drone, it will most likely lose connection if its low and on the other side.

(They do not own the airspace, but camera stuff will allways upset people)

Reactions: dat1
That distance rule within a residential neighborhood was primarily enacted due to privacy concerns. Not so much related to safety or noise so those arguments are moot.

Unfortunately once these regulations are in place they tend to get stricter and multiply. Very little motivation for government to reverse them. Drone pilots are a nearly voiceless minority.

I fly from my property quite regularly as I am right on the edge of a few hundred acres of bushland where I test fly but the people living nearby can hear me take off and land of course. I door knocked about 10 houses in every direction when I got my RePL (Like an Australian Part 107) gave them my details etc and offered to do free roof inspections for them at any time they needed one ( we live in a storm corridor).

I have a great relationship with my neighbours who see me as local entertainment and a community asset. I've been asked to look for lost dogs and kids in the local bushland and all sorts.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Used Sparky to check my chimney that needed masonry work. Took off just behind the building and only stayed in footprint. Worked great.

Attachments

• DJI_0067.jpeg
    DJI_0067.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 78
Have a little chat with your neighbours..
Tell them the purpose of your flight..
No harm done.

That's the best approach and a great opportunity to
show to people what kind of imagery (wide angle)
we have from our flying cam.
Ignorance is probably the worse enemy to our hobby.

Reactions: Decado
You are so right, media and other anti droners love to play on the ignorance of the uninitiated and in turn our laws are built on such rubbish.

I need to check my roof tiles. Trouble is that if I use my Spark, then I'm potentially breaking the law since it will be within 50 metres of other people's houses, even though I won't fly over their properties or deliberately film them. I suspect that nobody is going to care what I do (and I'm sure, from many YouTube videos I've seen, that a lot of drone users pay little attention to this rule anyway). But why should I be at risk of prosecution when the only inconvenience will be a noise similar to an electric lawn mower? Does anyone else agree that the law, which is probably contrary to ECHR Article 8 (right to enjoy home), needs to be changed to include exceptions to allow people to fly within 50 metre of other people or property? Just what those exceptions ought to be may be a matter of debate.
You do not state what country you are talking about but I will assume the fact you mention a 50m stand off you are UK based.
If that is the case then you seem to completely misunderstand the stand off rules.
The distances are stated for properties/people/vehicles/vessels etc that you do not have permission and or control of.
You state that your neighbours would not care, so why not simply get permission from them (in writing). Tell them what time/date you will be undertaking the flight and there will be no direct overflight of their property.

Problem solved.

Thanks to those who replied. But you didn't get the point of my message. I asked:

"Does anyone else agree that the law, which is probably contrary to ECHR Article 8 (right to enjoy home), needs to be changed to include exceptions to allow people to fly within 50 metre of other people or property?"

Thanks to those who replied. But you didn't get the point of my message. I asked:

"Does anyone else agree that the law, which is probably contrary to ECHR Article 8 (right to enjoy home), needs to be changed to include exceptions to allow people to fly within 50 metre of other people or property?"
It would have been more pertinent if you had stated what country you are talking about since different countries have differing UAV laws/rules. This would also have meant irrelevant posts from people in other countries would not respond and muddy the waters with irrelevant comments.
ECHR is totally irrelevant since UAV operation is governed and controlled by CAP393 which covers aviation and is already law and passed by Parliament.
Would you say the same if you wanted to let off dynamite in your back garden because you liked watching the big bang's go off but because you needed an explosives licence it was interfering with the enjoyment of your home under ECHR?
The '50m rule's is there for good reason - to try and prevent the Darwin Award Candidates from endangering others.

Reactions: Haggi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme