Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Too HOT?

SoccerRef12

Join
Jul 5, 2019
Loc
Lampasas, Texas
It happened again... Went to fly Sparky about 3 PM and it was full sunshine 95F and Sparky wouldn't take off. This happened last August, exact same conditions. Too hot?

The area certainly seems isolated, and you should have some sort of heads up if a TFR zone if in place.

Everything starts, connects normally, and you don't get any sort of warning on screen ?
While the air temp is within normal operating temps . . . 32f - 104f (0 - 40c), but it is getting close.
It's in the shade before you get it fired up ?

Do you hear the cooling fan going ?
I haven't ever noticed, but if the drone ambient temp is in that high range within 9f of DJIs official operating temp, the fan should come on I would think.

If not, maybe check connection wire, and while cover(s) off, get a can of compressed air and give the vents a bit of a blow out ?
A gentle blow inside, just incase there's a build up of dust in there ?

The area certainly seems isolated, and you should have some sort of heads up if a TFR zone if in place.

Everything starts, connects normally, and you don't get any sort of warning on screen ?
While the air temp is within normal operating temps . . . 32f - 104f (0 - 40c), but it is getting close.
It's in the shade before you get it fired up ?

Do you hear the cooling fan going ?
I haven't ever noticed, but if the drone ambient temp is in that high range within 9f of DJIs official operating temp, the fan should come on I would think.

If not, maybe check connection wire, and while cover(s) off, get a can of compressed air and give the vents a bit of a blow out ?
A gentle blow inside, just incase there's a build up of dust in there ?
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check for dust or anything blocking airflow. I couldn't put Sparky in the shade for takeoff, so it definitely could be overheating due to sun and/or restricted airflow.

The above help is good advice I would think. Only one thing to add-don’t make my mistake of taking off under shade and I mean under as if RTH kicks in during flight, guess what happens!! She comes down on top of the “shade” and if like me, early in my flying days, you choose a tree heyho she’s stuck up 30mtrs! Good luck though. I’m about to go out in a pretty high temp shortly and will see if the same happens to me.

The above help is good advice I would think. Only one thing to add-don’t make my mistake of taking off under shade and I mean under as if RTH kicks in during flight, guess what happens!! She comes down on top of the “shade” and if like me, early in my flying days, you choose a tree heyho she’s stuck up 30mtrs! Good luck though. I’m about to go out in a pretty high temp shortly and will see if the same happens to me.

Good advice re home point, bottom sensor should pick up dense foliage, but always best to be sure / safer re landing point.

I was thinking more of was Spark in a car before flight, maybe already quite hot.
Flying as we do in direct sunlight is going to heat it up quite a lot, of course a white body might be cooler . . . driving with dark pant vs light coloured shorts in the sun is proof of that, or a white car vs dark car.

Does it get THAT hot (35c) in the UK SW ??? ? :p

Good advice re home point, bottom sensor should pick up dense foliage, but always best to be sure / safer re landing point.

I was thinking more of was Spark in a car before flight, maybe already quite hot.
Flying as we do in direct sunlight is going to heat it up quite a lot, of course a white body might be cooler . . . driving with dark pant vs light coloured shorts in the sun is proof of that, or a white car vs dark car.

Does it get THAT hot (35c) in the UK SW ??? ? :p
Nope never. Best we can do is 30C. My flights yesterday were in no more than 27C but boy was it windy. My video (shot quite a lot) shows the big trees waltzing In perfect harmony. Not sure I’ll post it as it‘s a bit samey. Will see how it looks this morning.

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
I flew in this hot days here in North Italy, we are around 32/34 Celsius and after landing I got very hot batteries and also the drone. I can't say their temperatures but...very hot!...I have no alarms anyway and spark attitude was great. Is it normal this high temp on body drone and batteries?

I think Sparky heats up a lot when flying in hot, sunny weather.

I haven't taken the top off mine yet to see if there is a lot of dust buildup. I imagine it just pops off?

I find temps around 32/34c are fine, that's around 90/93f.
Above this, the main 2 issues are drone stress and comfort levels for the pilot, high heat isn't fun for long, and can be dangerous.

Over 38c, around 100f, you are hitting near the Spark factory specs for operation.
It's just asking for trouble (battery life mostly), and not all that productive for filming / photographing in the heat of the day anyway.
Flying for fun, which most of the time this is done in Sports mode (for me at least), and puts a lot more further stress on drone and battery.

But then the OP simply couldn't take off anyway, not sure if the Spark could be fired up, or started (?).

Best for those higher forecast days is to really just fly at golden / blue hour times of day, which avoid the heat problem in general.

I think Sparky heats up a lot when flying in hot, sunny weather.

I haven't taken the top off mine yet to see if there is a lot of dust buildup. I imagine it just pops off?
Hey Jerry, the first part of this tut explains how to get the cover off.

Reactions: SoccerRef12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers