Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Travel

jazzy2788

Join
Jun 20, 2017
How's it going… I just received my spark yesterday and flew it a little bit today… I love how small it is and the fact that I can literally keep it in the center consul of my truck and pull it out whenever I need it.

I have a larger Autel drone and a Mavic… I've traveled with them in the past but it is always been a trip where I've drove… I am flying over to Europe for a few days and was going to take my Mavic until my spark came.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations for traveling with the spark. I figure I should have no problem with it at security as it is so small and the battery is small as well.

I plan on keeping it in the small case that it came in. And putting it in my bag with my DSlr camera that I'm taking is well.

My only fear would be having a confiscated at one of the security checkpoint in either London or Poland… But being it is so small I don't know if it will really draw any attention.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. As I leave on Thursday.

Reactions: clackey
I know that part of the world is subject to intense scrutiny, but I just went to cancun mexico with my mavic in a pacsafe wire mesh lined backpack and a huge noke lock and had no issues. I was prepared however to dump the batteries if I had an issue. Figured I could buy them somewhere when I landed if that was the case. But realistically its a new device, tiny, it should be no problem.

I'm leaving in one week to St Thomas with a Mavic, a Spark, and my goggles in my carry-on backpack, each in their own cases. I will also have new Fly More Spark for my nephew in my checked luggage, and that concerns me as I'm not sure I'm allowed to fly with lithium batteries in my checked luggage. I have Global Entry, but I'm not sure if that helps or hurts,

I'm leaving in one week to St Thomas with a Mavic, a Spark, and my goggles in my carry-on backpack, each in their own cases. I will also have new Fly More Spark for my nephew in my checked luggage, and that concerns me as I'm not sure I'm allowed to fly with lithium batteries in my checked luggage. I have Global Entry, but I'm not sure if that helps or hurts,

Batteries in the checked luggage is a big no no!

Why not carrying it with you? Are you traveling alone? Maybe your companions can help!

Batteries in the checked luggage is a big no no!

Why not carrying it with you? Are you traveling alone? Maybe your companions can help!

Already carrying Mavic Combo + Spark Combo + googles....not enough room for another Spark Combo, especially new in the box. It's a present. I might just have to open it up just to take the batteries out, then wrap it and put it in my checked without the batteries.

To jazzy2788 and n3m3sis2all it isn't about it drawing attention, it's about the fact that at some point all your hand luggage is screened (X rays) and believe me a drone and batteries quickly catches the attention of the security officers, they allow it in all countries I've been but it's because it's allowed in that country and not because it went through undetected!

You basically have 3 filters
1) the airline: search their website or call them (i.e: Emirates airlines doesn't allow drones on carry on so it needs to go on checked only but the batteries always on carry on)
2) your country security checkpoints (I'm assuming they will be ok)
3) your destination/transit country (research on local drone law an regulations)

You do not want to have your holidays ruined by drone problems

To jazzy2788 and n3m3sis2all it isn't about it drawing attention, it's about the fact that at some point all your hand luggage is screened (X rays) and believe me a drone and batteries quickly catches the attention of the security officers, they allow it in all countries I've been but it's because it's allowed in that country and not because it went through undetected!

You basically have 3 filters
1) the airline: search their website or call them (i.e: Emirates airlines doesn't allow drones on carry on so it needs to go on checked only but the batteries always on carry on)
2) your country security checkpoints (I'm assuming they will be ok)
3) your destination/transit country (research on local drone law an regulations)

You do not want to have your holidays ruined by drone problems
This. I was all set to take my P4P to Belize, only to discover that their laws concerning sUAS had recently changed so that even though I have a US Remote Pilot certificate, unless I had a Belizian license to fly, they would confiscate the aircraft at customs until I could obtain a license, which wasn't practical. I was bummed I couldn't take it, but it would have been worse to have it confiscated. Always check the laws in the country you're traveling to.

Also check out the special Lipo battery bags, and make sure the batteries are neither fully charged, nor fully empty.

This is a good practice but not a requirement, you can never be too careful! But if you are in a hurry as long as you have your batteries separated (as in individual ziplock bags) or if together with their contacts covered (electrical tape, etc) you'll be good,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex