Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tried an OTG cable - finally!

Chrislaf

Join
Oct 12, 2017
Loc
ON, Canada
Just before Christmas I ordered an OTG cable to use with my Spark. I had been getting interference from a new Bluetooth watch so I thought, why not even though I have never had problems without it.

I finally tried it today after more than 2 years with my Spark. The weather has been starting to warm up a bit so it is less of a hassle fumbling with an OTG cable in sub-zero temps. It worked perfectly and the controller charging the iPhone was a nice bonus.

Chris

Since I have used an OTG cable, I have had no Bluetooth interference at all. :)

It was a pain when I flew via WiFi in the past at the park.

People out and about enjoying the day would be wearing fit bits or BT headphones and would cause interference if they were close by.

Speaking of BT and WiFi interference, that's why I like the DJI GO 4 MOD app since it turns all that stuff off automatically and sets screen brightness to max when you open it.

Reactions: RotorWash
Although I like the OTG cable and it worked well and will continue to use it especially when I have my bluetooth watch on or am near other people with bluetooth devices (my 2 teenage sons/wife's iPhones), it's one more thing to think about. What I like so much about the Spark is its simplicity and how easy and fast it is to get it in the air. The OTG cable slows down this process, not by much, but nevertheless it does slow it down. Also, I fly in cold weather often, so the longer I have my hands out of my gloves or mitts the sooner they get colder.

The main reason for getting an OTG cable was to mitigate the Bluetooth interference problems. My Spark has always been flown within VLOS and I have never had any video feed problems so I don't notice any difference with or without the OTG for the video feed.

Thanks for all the replies/comments.

Chris

Just before Christmas I ordered an OTG cable to use with my Spark. I had been getting interference from a new Bluetooth watch so I thought, why not even though I have never had problems without it.

I finally tried it today after more than 2 years with my Spark. The weather has been starting to warm up a bit so it is less of a hassle fumbling with an OTG cable in sub-zero temps. It worked perfectly and the controller charging the iPhone was a nice bonus.

Chris
Did the OTG cable increase your range? I use a Samsung A-50 and the OTG cable drastically increased my range.

Did the OTG cable increase your range? I use a Samsung A-50 and the OTG cable drastically increased my range.
Can’t see how an OTG cable could affect range as it just replaces the WiFi connection between the phone and controller not between the controller and drone which is still over WiFi. If anything it may improve the video feed on your device but not the range.

For me I have never had problems with the video feed without OTG.

Chris

Last edited:

That's a back and forth topic.

In my opinion, using an OTG cable is a direct connection to your device, eliminating the need for the WiFi signal from the remote to the device, leaving the remote to concentrate on the signal to the Spark.

Just a theory.?

An inexpensive way to improve the range is to purchase a pair of the parabolic reflectors that slip over the antennas.

Compact and effective.

Just make sure to keep pointing at the Spark for a good signal.

That's a back and forth topic.

In my opinion, using an OTG cable is a direct connection to your device, eliminating the need for the WiFi signal from the remote to the device, leaving the remote to concentrate on the signal to the Spark.

Just a theory.?

An inexpensive way to improve the range is to purchase a pair of the parabolic reflectors that slip over the antennas.

Compact and effective.

Just make sure to keep pointing at the Spark for a good signal.
I don’t use reflectors on my Spark because I have never had problems with the signal, but I also never fly out of VLOS. I do use a reflector on my Phantom 3 standard as I often will lose signal within VLOS and the reflector improves the signal stability.

Chris

Reactions: Spark 317
I too fly VLOS and rarely go for a distance record.

3/8 of a mile is within VLOS (a VO helps) and is good enough for me.

The reflectors are in my bag just in case. :)

Flying with an Android S7 I find the OTG cable dramatically increases my video feed range and stability. Without it I would get breakup under 100m at times depending on my location/interference.

Flying with an Android S7 I find the OTG cable dramatically increases my video feed range and stability. Without it I would get breakup under 100m at times depending on my location/interference.
With my iPhone, I can fly out to the limit of my VLOS without any video hiccups, hence me never really having a need for an OTG cable. However, when I got a Bluetooth watch I would get interference messages even with Bluetooth off on my iPhone - I had to turn the watch off or leave it at home. The OTG eliminates the Bluetooth interference.

I find it strange that my Phantom 3 Standard which also uses WiFi is not affected at all by Bluetooth interference.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit