Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

USB/OTG Cable, does it works or not ?

Ginosergio

Join
Oct 23, 2018
Hi Guys, I'm new to the Spark and the Forum, just bought a combo Spark & Controller yesterday.
I managed to install DJI GO 4, register a DJI user, and activate the Spark; NOT without problems....
Then with the spark connected via Wifi to the phone, I have seen a live view ! YEEEEEES....
I had the virtual joystick on the screen, so now I have lost the "bind" with the controller ?
PS: I still have to try the first flight.... not enough time yesterday....

The question is: I have found in the controller box 2 cables, both have the Spark controller connector on one side, then the first is MicroUSB and the other is micro USB C. Can I use one of these cables to connect my smartphone (LG G6) to the controller, and avoid the need to connect via Wifi ?
I have seen discordant information on Internet, someone say it simply work, someone say not, someone post long and strange methods with many steps, to achieve that... but many posts were quite old (2017), maybe things are changed with new firmware and software release.... Please let me know how it goes now....

thank you
Ginosergio

I am using LG g6 with my spark and otg is perfect. Prepare the phone by turning the controller on and plug it into the LG with the otg type C cable. The phone should recognise it and ask what you want to open when this is plugged in. Dji go4 should be listed and you should select it. Go4 should open up. Close everything down and unplug the otg cable.
After this, the method I use is as follows:
1. Turn on spark.
2. Turn on controller.
3. Plug otg cable into the controller, it should be the plug with the usb logo on it.
4. Plug the other plug into the phone. The Go4 app should self start hand the opening screen status should show a green light as connected. 'Press 'GOFLY' and the next screen will have fpv.
Don't forget to go through all your setups and check calibrations before flying, then prepare yourself for the miracles of the Spark! Take things slowly, look after her, treat her gently, and she will never let you down. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocco Germani
I am using LG g6 with my spark and otg is perfect. Prepare the phone by turning the controller on and plug it into the LG with the otg type C cable. The phone should recognise it and ask what you want to open when this is plugged in. Dji go4 should be listed and you should select it. Go4 should open up. Close everything down and unplug the tog cable.
1. Turn on spark.
2. Turn on controller.
3. Plug otg cable into the controller, it should be the plug with the sub logo on it.
4. Plug the other plug into the phone. The Go4 app should self start and the opening screen status should show a green light as connected. 'Press 'GOFLY' and the next screen will have fpv.
Don't forget to go through all your setups and check calibrations before flying, then prepare yourself for the miracles of the Spark! Take things slowly, look after her, treat her gently, and she will never let you down. Enjoy!!!
Please note usb-c is not actually reversible.

I discovered the hard way. Sometimes it worked flawlessly, sometimes nothing I could do would make it work.

Until I tried to turn it around.

Also I have two OTG cables. The first one just doesn't work at all. The second works in one position, and stops working if I flip it.

But sometimes it refuses to work no matter what. My solution? Try the first cable. I know it won't work. And it doesn't. But then switch cables, try again with the second one and voilà, everything's fine. Why, I cannot tell. That's just the way it is.

BTW, using official dji app latest version, and a pixel XL (Android 9).

You are right about reversing the type C, obviously not possible to reverse, but I also use a galaxy tablet, and having the micro usb on both ends makes it important to plug the correct end to the controller. I have actually found a cable that works in both directions, but most only work in one direction. I think this is a common reason why some people have inconsistent results using the same cable. I don't really know whether the sequence of connections has an effect, but I have found a system that works and I have stuck with it.

Reactions: RadioMike
The only thing I would change in your start up sequence is, turn the controller on first, then the Spark. These fly using WiFi signals, so you never really know what's out there in your flying area. PS. I very seldom use a OTG cable with the Spark. It fly's fine without one!

Reactions: RadioMike
I am using LG g6 with my spark and otg is perfect. Prepare the phone by turning the controller on and plug it into the LG with the otg type C cable. The phone should recognise it and ask what you want to open when this is plugged in. Dji go4 should be listed and you should select it. Go4 should open up. Close everything down and unplug the otg cable.
1. Turn on spark.
2. Turn on controller.
3. Plug otg cable into the controller, it should be the plug with the usb logo on it.
4. Plug the other plug into the phone. The Go4 app should self start hand the opening screen status should show a green light as connected. 'Press 'GOFLY' and the next screen will have fpv.
I do the same thing with my G6 as well, and it works a lot better than using the wifi transmission. Also be sure to turn off Bluetooth as well.

I use either the DJI USB C cable or the DJI USB Micro cable with a Tab A and Huawei 8.5 inch with no problems.

otg works just fine use it.. infact its mandatory to fly with any clear picture.... funny how a 25 mw fpv camera from ebay can transmitt data just fine far away or a 100mw one.. yet dji uses 1 watt of power or more in the spark thats why it gets so **** hot.. is the transmitter is over powered does not use freq hopping thats why our battery uses up so fast btw should get an extra 5 minutes outta it if the spark didnt gobble all that power... anyway otg is the way to go

Im new to the forum and drone flying, however I believe the following is true.
  • Not all phones/tablets support OTG
  • Litchi doesn't support OTG
Can't see Ive noticed any major improvements using OTG with the DJI Go 4 app on my Samsung Galaxy A5 2017.

I don't think has ever supported OTG, although some seem to think it used yo on an old version, however I believe the app just used wifi and never used to give an error message.

Last edited:
Im new to the forum and drone flying, however I believe the following is true.
  • Not all phones/tablets support OTG
  • Litchi doesn't support OTG
Can't see Ive noticed any major improvements using OTG with the DJI Go 4 app.

I don't think has ever supported OTG, although some seem to think it used yo on an old version, however I believe the app just used wifi and never used to give an error message.
OTG is great if your phone is not able to use some WiFi channels like 149. I have a pixel phone, and my RC hates it, so it always chooses channel 149 - which my phone can't even see.

OTG cable is the only way for me to use my phone.

Besides that, yes, litchi doesn't currently support OTG. I don't know about your first assertion.

Reactions: Moofer
OTG works for me with my Samsung Galaxy S8, but I need to turn off WiFi for the OTG connection to happen.

I do the same thing with my G6 as well, and it works a lot better than using the wifi transmission. Also be sure to turn off Bluetooth as well.
I plan to use the Garmin glo to get better gps fix ( option to return home to RC location), but this is a Bluetooth device which needs Bluetooth turned on?

Bluetooth radio signals may interfere with the Sparks performance of near the remote.

You may get a warning to turn it OFF.

I occasionally forget to turn mine OFF on my phone while it's in my pocket and I receive the warning prompt when flying.

OTG works for me with my Samsung Galaxy S8, but I need to turn off WiFi for the OTG connection to happen.
Crazy, I am using the SGS8 too but I can use OTG without turning off WiFi. Maybe my phone is rooted... I do not know.

I use ipad pro 10.5 and Samsung Note 4 for connecting. I use a single cable connecting device to controller. Both devices recognize the attached RC. Only wireless coonectivity to worry about is left between RC and AC. My ipads wifi is either connected to home wifi, wifi hot spots, or tethered to my phones internet access when flying the spark.

Bluetooth radio signals may interfere with the Sparks performance of near the remote.

You may get a warning to turn it OFF.

I occasionally forget to turn mine OFF on my phone while it's in my pocket and I receive the warning prompt when flying.
Thanks, I'll see how I get on this week with using the Garmin glo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme