Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Use WiFi or cable from controller to phone

RNMedic127

Join
Feb 4, 2019
Loc
Albuquerque via Boston
Hi! I've been hearing a lot about connecting the controller directly to the phone instead of using WiFi. Is one better than the other? Is it that no WiFi is a more stable flying experience? Just wondering. Thanks!

There are two connections we are dealing with.
1. Connection between RC and Aircraft
2. Connection between RC and Phone/Tablet

The first one is a WiFi connection and we can do nothing about it. The second one can either be a WiFi connection or a wired connection (OTG). Many users have found that when they use a WiFi connection between RC and aircraft, there is a noticeable lag in the live video feed on the DJIGo4 app, probably due to the two WiFi connections interfering with each other or with other WiFi devices nearby. An OTG cable eliminates such interference and gives a much stable video feed. However, many users have also reported that they have absolutely no problem with WiFi connection and they rather find a dangling cable between the RC and phone quite a hassle. I belong to that category of users who find it impossible to fly without an OTG cable because the live feed is terrible on WiFi. A lot actually depends on the environment you are flying in and the device you are using. If you ask me, I would highly recommend an OTG cable because theoretically it is a more reliable way of connection and it is not very expensive too.

I haven't witnessed much of a lag, but then again, I'm just getting used to looking at both the drone and screen. I can see where a lag may be of concern. Thanks for the info!
You will not be able to gauge any lag if you are flying in a straight line. Fly out about 100m and then yaw (rotate the aircraft on its axis). If there is any lag, you can easily make out from the screen. It is very necessary to have zero or minimal lag when you want to use the drone for shooting videos. But if you can fly using VLOS all the time and intend to mostly take photos, you can live with the lag.

Last edited:
I recommend the OTG cable too for eliminating lag. I bought a good one but now something is wrong. After 30 seconds or so it has an error. I tried another routine and it seemed to work but after a minute or so of flying I got the same error. The RC controller still worked so I brought it back fortunately I had my recording on Sparky though my phone had nothing. Anyway I have bright sun to deal with so I can't see anything anyway. I am now using the wifi connection since it is LOS anyway.

There are two connections we are dealing with.
1. Connection between RC and Aircraft
2. Connection between RC and Phone/Tablet

The first one is a WiFi connection and we can do nothing about it. The second one can either be a WiFi connection or a wired connection (OTG). Many users have found that when they use a WiFi connection between RC and aircraft, there is a noticeable lag in the live video feed on the DJIGo4 app, probably due to the two WiFi connections interfering with each other or with other WiFi devices nearby. An OTG cable eliminates such interference and gives a much stable video feed. However, many users have also reported that they have absolutely no problem with WiFi connection and they rather find a dangling cable between the RC and phone quite a hassle. I belong to that category of users who find it impossible to fly without an OTG cable because the live feed is terrible on WiFi. A lot actually depends on the environment you are flying in and the device you are using. If you ask me, I would highly recommend an OTG cable because theoretically it is a more reliable way of connection and it is not very expensive too.

I have a quick question: What am I doing wrong? I just tried using the OTG cable that came from DJI with my new Spark to connect my Galaxy S8 phone . I put the phone on airplane mode , but it wouldn't connect to the RC. After a minute I removed the OTG cable and turned off airplane mode and the phone connected right away wirelessly . But there is a lag I'd like to avoid using the cable . What am I doing wrong?

In reference to the OTG cable, I did find a short 6” cable at Best Buy that is much less hassle than a long cable dangling down while flying.

Reactions: Neebuz
I have a quick question: What am I doing wrong? I just tried using the OTG cable that came from DJI with my new Spark to connect my Galaxy S8 phone . I put the phone on airplane mode , but it wouldn't connect to the RC. After a minute I removed the OTG cable and turned off airplane mode and the phone connected right away wirelessly . But there is a lag I'd like to avoid using the cable . What am I doing wrong?
Try switching the cable around..... If you connect the wrong end to your phone or rc it will never connect. Try this and let us know what happens

As I know, an otg cable comes with spark - goggles combo, only.

Otg cable is a special cable. Normal cable for data and charging will not work.

The only difference between a standard USB cable and and an On The Go USB cable is the standard A plug is replaced with a MICRO B or C type plug or Lightning. The idea of OTG cables is to allow the connection of 2 USB devices.
The Pin Outs are all Standard. Hence the name Universal Serial Bus.all are cross capable for 5 volts and data and more.

As I know, an otg cable comes with spark - goggles combo, only.

Otg cable is a special cable. Normal cable for data and charging will not work.
I ordered mine from Amazon....I have a Android device so mine took type c.... Cost 8 bucks. Just search on Amazon ( OTG CABLE FOR DJI SPARK )

Andy, that is a nice theory, but I have 3 different OTG cables, and they absolutely are directional, and must be plugged in in the correct orientation, I have no idea why, but all 3 of mine are the same in that respect. Why do I have 3 cables? I was trying to find a good one that worked reliably with my iPhone and my Samsung tab S2 8". I have had no luck with either. The Samsung tablet is so laggy its impossible to use and will not connect with OTG. The most reliable connection I get is wireless to iPhone, it is slightly laggy but I also fly professional DJI products (Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 4, phantom 4 pro +, Inspire 2, Matrice 210 RTK), for mapping and surveying, its my job. I am the lead UAV trainer and compliance officer for large mining operation. They all experience some lag in the fpv video , depending on your surroundings. Interestingly enough the Spark (read the box) is designed for IOS and DJI does not support the OTG cable with Spark, that basically explains everything. There have been many discussions on this forum as to what is better and it comes down to whatever works best for you, there is no one way which is best for everyone it seems from what people say here. The lag is not always coming between the controller and tablet or phone, it can come from the connection with your Spark and controller, or simply in the processing speed of your device. See what you can do to free up resources on your device before you blame the connection to your controller, make sure you antenna are not pointed at your Spark, there is little or no signal at the ends and try a copper foil lined signal booster (they work). My recommendation is use it the way it was designed and forget the cable if you can. This in my opinion is one of the best features of the Spark, no freaking cable !!! All in all, if you compare the performance of the Spark with all other DJI products, which are by far the most popular in the world, what they pack into the Spark is mighty impressive both for the size of it and the price. I am amazed at what I can do with my Spark. I have considered buying a more advanced DJI drone, but for my personal use I keep kicking myself for even thinking that. The benefits of upgrading never seem to warrant the cost. The bit of lag may be a little annoying to some but it is definitely easy to live with if you get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore.

Try switching the cable around..... If you connect the wrong end to your phone or rc it will never connect. Try this and let us know what happens

He can't hook it up the wrong way. The Galaxy S8 is USB-C.

The only difference between a standard USB cable and and an On The Go USB cable is the standard A plug is replaced with a MICRO B or C type plug or Lightning. The idea of OTG cables is to allow the connection of 2 USB devices.
The Pin Outs are all Standard. Hence the name Universal Serial Bus.all are cross capable for 5 volts and data and more.
Well, not exactly.

There's a small difference in wiring.

Host end also, must be connected to Spark's rc, for otg to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis