Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Useful info for new/prospective Spark owners - Updated Jan 14, 2018

I bought a Spark Fly More Combo for Black Friday (US). I have flown 4 different toy drones before and always found it to be filled with lots of frustration. The Spark is the first drone I've flown that actually is fun but flying is not a game. I read the manual. I watched the YouTube videos. I practiced in Beginner Mode and used Tripod. I was impressed. I agree with all the original points listed. Patience is key. A few seconds waiting for the entire system to be ready, GPS signal and all, is worth it. I fly exclusively using the RC.

I now have a total of 4 batteries and can fly for almost an hour. I live in So California, US, so weather is less of an issue for me. I logged about 5 hours of flight with DJI Go before I started exploring Litchi and Autopilot. I ultimately bought Autopilot and have been spending a lot of time reading and studying all the features. I now fly almost exclusively with Autopilot, even for manual flights. The app has so much more automation such as engage video on takeoff that make recording your flight so easy. I have conducted a few waypoint missions and I really like the potential this represents. So far I have over 3 hours flight logged with Autopilot.

Originally I was going to use Android devices since I'm an Android user but ultimately bought a used iPad mini 4 cellular. Not only does it perform overall better than my Android devices (including Pixel and Pixel XL), I have no need for OTG.

I do not want to become a competitive or commercial drone flyer. I am interested in the photo opportunities, occasional aerial surveys of my home and rental properties. At Christmas time I was able to get some really cool video of the kids playing the back yard. I registered with the FAA and even signed up for a free course to learn more about flying.

The Spark is not a toy. It is an excellent entry drone with lots of possibilities for anyone taking the time to learn it, practice and apply the knowledge.

Great info. Thanks!

I'm waiting for my Spark to arrive...just orderd it yesterday to take on vacation in 2 weeks

Read the manual

Yeah, it’s boring and you want answers NOW! But, many of the questions new owners ask on here have already been answered numerous times. But, more importantly - when you’re out flying and something goes wrong you won’t have time to post on here and wait for an answer. You have a better chance of saving your drone if you read the manual

-----------

I certainly agree with the above comment from the OP, but I would add two things:
1) At about 56 pages, the manual is actually too short (maybe by half) and there are things that should be in there that are not. You have to dig thru forums, youtubes etc. for stuff that should have been clearly explained in the manual.
2) IMO, parts of the manual are poorly written by author(s) who lack the necessary English language skill required to describe a complex machine.

I have a technical background (including technical writing) and yet it wasn't easy for me to put all the info together so that I was reasonably confident enough to lift off. Now I'm having a great time with an excellent AC, but I would imagine this all is overwhelming for some Spark buyers.

Reactions: Surfnut and Vilco
Read manual- great advice. Really. But I remember how I was reading it and didn’t manage to find the answer how to power on the spark. Seriously? Even no info about the most important action :D I had to google it. And a week later I found a small sticker on the side of the box with a small instruction how to turn on AC. :confused::D

Read manual- great advice. Really. But I remember how I was reading it and didn’t manage to find the answer how to power on the spark. Seriously? Even no info about the most important action :D I had to google it. And a week later I found a small sticker on the side of the box with a small instruction how to turn on AC. :confused::D
Yeah, the manual isn’t great. Neither are the official DJI videos.

Reactions: Victoria
What I want to know is why the heck don't you get a printed manual with the Spark? Not even a little weeny one like all the other guides. I have a manual for my batteries, but not the Spark.

I’ve found better info on you tube more helpful than the tiny printed manual I can barely read with glass on.

Got a Spark at Thanksgiving and have flown without issue several times. I generally calibrate the IMU at home before flight and calibrate the compass once I get to the location. A couple of times, after I calibrate the compass as I’m ready to fly, it says... Calibrate IMU. The props are on and it would be a PITA to recalibrate it so I have cycled power on the drone and the message goes away....

Obviously, this makes me nervous... Does the IMU really need calibration? I just calibrated it 30 minutes ago on a very stable, flat surface.

Feb 3 update: I have flown 1 more time since this post. I powered on the drone well before the remote and got the message. I cycled power on the remote and it went away, so it doesn’t appear to be the drone. Any thoughts?

Feb 3 update: I have flown 1 more time since this post. I powered on the drone well before the remote and got the message. I cycled power on the remote and it went away, so it doesn’t appear to be the drone. Any thoughts?
This thread doesn’t get read much by those that have been here a while. I’d start a new one if I was you. You’ll get more traction.

they said , the OTG is not supported, but in the video he is using the OTG

Last edited:
DJI Spark...Not worth the money. Way too many issues with it such as image transmission lost, GPS signal lost et etc. I for one is VERY disappointed in this drone. Spending this amount of money on a toy (yes it is, because it is nothing DJI claims to be) is just not worth it. Rather save a bit more and try the Mavic or Phantom. Although I am 90% sure you will run into similar issues.

[QUOTE = "Jannie, post: 33856, membro: 7243"] DJI Spark ... Non vale i soldi. Troppi problemi con esso, come la trasmissione delle immagini perse, il segnale GPS perso, ecc. Io per primo sono MOLTO deluso da questo drone. Spendere questa somma di denaro su un giocattolo (sì, perché non è niente che sostiene la DJI) non vale la pena. Piuttosto, risparmia un po 'di più e prova Mavic o Phantom. Anche se sono sicuro al 90% di riscontrare problemi simili. [/ QUOTE]
ciao non sono d'accordo con te nel più assoluto la mia scintilla va bene ho inserito il wi-fi fcc e arrivo a oltre 2 km di immagini sempre belle e non ho mai perso il segnale GPS se il tuo drone è provabilmente difettoso gli altri non dovrebbero essere così

[QUOTE = "Jannie, post: 33856, membro: 7243"] DJI Spark ... Non vale i soldi. Troppi problemi con esso, come la trasmissione delle immagini perse, il segnale GPS perso, ecc. Io per primo sono MOLTO deluso da questo drone. Spendere questa somma di denaro su un giocattolo (sì, perché non è niente che sostiene la DJI) non vale la pena. Piuttosto, risparmia un po 'di più e prova Mavic o Phantom. Anche se sono sicuro al 90% di riscontrare problemi simili. [/ QUOTE]
ciao non sono d'accordo con te nel più assoluto la mia scintilla va bene ho inserito il wi-fi fcc e arrivo a oltre 2 km di immagini sempre belle e non ho mai perso il segnale GPS se il tuo drone è provabilmente difettoso gli altri non dovrebbero essere così

Ciao, qui in Sud Africa non abbiamo FCC. C'è un modo per passare da FC a FCC?

Which version of firmware removed OTG support? I'm using .0800 I think and OTG is working fine. Considered updating to .0900 but now I'm not so sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme