Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using Crystal Sky Monitor with Spark

Duke56

Join
Jun 12, 2018
I've been using an Ipad Mini4 with my Spark. I also own a Mavic 2 Zoom. I use the Crystal Sky with my M2Z. I'm using the DJI quick disconnect mount for the CS. Since it comes with a USB cable pre-installed and I wanted to use it with my Spark, I purchased a USB female to micro USB cable from Amazon (see below) so I could connect the CS without taking it off the DJI quick disconnect mount. Booted everything up and had no problems with the Spark RC and the CS connecting. Took the Spark up and the difference between the Ipad Mini 4 and the CS is night and day. On a sunny day, even with a hood to shade the screen of the Ipad Mini, the screen on the Ipad Mini was not very clear. CS monitor, even without a hood,, was bright and very sharp on a sunny day.

My only problem is the camera transmission from the Spark to the RC to the CS was a bit choppy. Not smooth as it has been using my M2Z with the same CS. Almost looked like frames skipping on a recorded video. Watching the video files off the Micro SD card, footage was perfect with no frame skips.

I'm wondering if using the conversion cable to connect to the Sparks RC OTG is the reason? I really don't want to remove the DJI quick Disconnect mount from my CS each time I use it to fly my Spark, although process of elimination would be the logical thing.to do. I suppose another option would be to connect via wifi from RC to CS.

Wondering if anyone else has used the CS with their Spark and what has been their experience.

I've been using an Ipad Mini4 with my Spark. I also own a Mavic 2 Zoom. I use the Crystal Sky with my M2Z. I'm using the DJI quick disconnect mount for the CS. Since it comes with a USB cable pre-installed and I wanted to use it with my Spark, I purchased a USB female to micro USB cable from Amazon (see below) so I could connect the CS without taking it off the DJI quick disconnect mount. Booted everything up and had no problems with the Spark RC and the CS connecting. Took the Spark up and the difference between the Ipad Mini 4 and the CS is night and day. On a sunny day, even with a hood to shade the screen of the Ipad Mini, the screen on the Ipad Mini was not very clear. CS monitor, even without a hood,, was bright and very sharp on a sunny day.

My only problem is the camera transmission from the Spark to the RC to the CS was a bit choppy. Not smooth as it has been using my M2Z with the same CS. Almost looked like frames skipping on a recorded video. Watching the video files off the Micro SD card, footage was perfect with no frame skips.

I'm wondering if using the conversion cable to connect to the Sparks RC OTG is the reason? I really don't want to remove the DJI quick Disconnect mount from my CS each time I use it to fly my Spark, although process of elimination would be the logical thing.to do. I suppose another option would be to connect via wifi from RC to CS.

Wondering if anyone else has used the CS with their Spark and what has been their experience.

View attachment 10370View attachment 10371
I have a spark using the crystal sky and Wifi very happy with it.

I have a spark using the crystal sky and Wifi very happy with it.

I'm going to have to try using it via wifi to connect to my Spark. Flew it a second time using the OTG cable and video transmission was still choppy, not smooth at all. I have read older threads saying the CS is not compatible with the Spark. I don't know/not sure if firmware updates on either the Spark or CS have corrected that issue.

Just got my CS. Only a few flights to date, but no problems with the video either by WiFI or OTG cable. Mind you, I'm using a mini USB to Mini USB cable, not the same setup as you.

I too read somewhere that the CS was not compatible with the Spark, but I believe they were older. Everything I've seen recently says they are compatible.

I may just go back to my Ipad Mini 4. I use wifi to connect my CS to my Iphone's Hot Spot while flying my Spark to stay connected to Google Maps. Can't have 2 wifi connections and like I mentioned, I don't want to remove the DJI Quick Disconnect just to fly my Spark each time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef