Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video from Cape Cod

His415

Join
Jul 12, 2017
Spent a week in cape cod with the family, got some great nature shots with the spark.

I noticed that during the circle shot at the beach, somewhere in the beginning of the video, the horizon is slightly tilted.
Is this due to you do it by yourself in sport mode?

I think it was due to the high winds that day.

From 1:38 to 2:15 you do a 360° and it changed from normal to really tilted at 2:05 until you were almost finished the turn at 2:15, then it comes quickly good at 2:20 when you bring the camera a little down.
If it would be the wind, first the gimbal is supposed to compensate for that and it would have been tilted on one side and after 180° it should be tilted the other side.
It is also possible that you have some angle in normal situation and then when you do a 360° only a normal to right tilt is visible instead of a left to right tilt.
Maybe you can check if the camera-gimbal block is free of movement, there could be dirt or small piece of wood stuck there.
Also I cannot really say that this don't happen to mine, would have to check at a place where there is horizon almost all around, but here there are mountains all around.

From 1:38 to 2:15 you do a 360° and it changed from normal to really tilted at 2:05 until you were almost finished the turn at 2:15, then it comes quickly good at 2:20 when you bring the camera a little down.
If it would be the wind, first the gimbal is supposed to compensate for that and it would have been tilted on one side and after 180° it should be tilted the other side.
It is also possible that you have some angle in normal situation and then when you do a 360° only a normal to right tilt is visible instead of a left to right tilt.
Maybe you can check if the camera-gimbal block is free of movement, there could be dirt or small piece of wood stuck there.
Also I cannot really say that this don't happen to mine, would have to check at a place where there is horizon almost all around, but here there are mountains all around.

Could be a bit of 'gimbal lock' - just needs calibration checking maybe?

Could be a bit of 'gimbal lock' - just needs calibration checking maybe?
I don't think that gimbal can be calibrated for itself, but maybe it is part of IMU calibration, who knows ?
It can be manually adjusted in case there is noticeable tilt.

Thanks I'll have to check the tilt. How do you usually check? I was planning to use my two countertops.

You can have some rectangular table and put the Spark at middle. Then one border can be seen by the Spark as horizon, by example.

How do you ensure the spark is perpendicular to the edge of the table? A little twist and the edge will be tilted again.

You can by example measure the distance between each of the 2 front motors and the corners of the table.
You can also try to place some square bar on the table so a face will be just at the level of the camera, this way the orientation of the Spark is less critical.
In any case, the alignement will be manual by estimating the leveling on the video feedback, you can enable also the Grid (pic/video settings, it can help.
Finally if you have to correct a lot, it can be a defective gimbal following a crash, some part stuck between body and gimbal or just a gimbal failure.

Reactions: His415
Yup it's the gimbal that's off, 1.4+ to get it level. Thanks to both of you for noticing and the fix. Side note I Used my table saw fence and the edge of the saw to to make sure it was perpendicular.

Yup it's the gimbal that's off, 1.4+ to get it level. Thanks to both of you for noticing and the fix. Side note I Used my table saw fence and the edge of the saw to to make sure it was perpendicular.
Nice to hear, good continuation with the Spark.

Sent from my SM-G950F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: His415

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar