Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video stream range

Statici

Join
Jul 17, 2017
What kind of range have you guys gotten? I can control the thing from 1000+ feet, but the video feed consistently stutters/disconnects entirely at even 500 feet (which freaked me out a lot at first, but knowing that it still has control enough to do things like tell it to come home makes me feel better). I see some folks flying theirs like 4,000 feet away but I haven't managed anything close to that, even when I'm tens of miles away from civilization.

Should I send my Spark in for repairs, or is the advertised range of a mile really just BS?

I'm experiencing the same issue with the video signal. 575ft / 175m distance max so far

4,000 feet for me in 5.8Ghz mode with a very stable feed (only disconnects briefly after taking a picture/pano) but with 2.4Ghz it's pretty much like you describe, laggy, tearing, disconnects, regardless of the distance, useless !

4,000 feet for me in 5.8Ghz mode with a very stable feed (only disconnects briefly after taking a picture/pano) but with 2.4Ghz it's pretty much like you describe, laggy, tearing, disconnects, regardless of the distance, useless !
Weird, higher frequency should have lower range o_O
I'm experiencing the same issue with the video signal. 575ft / 175m distance max so far
When I first got my Phantom 3 Standard, I had horrible range issues. Like, I'd take it about 400 feet, and be losing signal entirely - not just video, but controls too. I had to send it back in three times before they just replaced the controller. I'm hoping the same issue isn't true here :\

I ve done many flights in the 2500-3500 range and a couple up to 4000'. Default settings. No idea which band it is using.

I ve done many flights in the 2500-3500 range and a couple up to 4000'. Default settings. No idea which band it is using.
I believe by default it's 5.8Ghz. Do you ever experience moments where the video locks up for ~1-5 seconds before coming back with some tearing? I also have to be really particular about aiming the antennas (antenna being | and the spark being S, orient like | S) or else it just loses signal entirely.

Weird, higher frequency should have lower range o_O

When I first got my Phantom 3 Standard, I had horrible range issues. Like, I'd take it about 400 feet, and be losing signal entirely - not just video, but controls too. I had to send it back in three times before they just replaced the controller. I'm hoping the same issue isn't true here :\

Doesn't make sense I agree, 2.4 should be a lot better for range than 5.8 but it's not a range issue because the 2.4 feed is terrible, regardless of the distance. There might be something wrong with my remote but since 5.8 works pretty much flawlessly (except for these very brief disconnects after taking a picture or a pano) with a 4000 feet range I can live with it.

Some people have said there was a bug with 2.4 but didn't elaborate.

No never had issue with video reception. Always solid. Only freeze is after taking a picture for about 122 second i guess while the iPhone processses the file

I find about 150 meters. This is using the OTG cable, so my guess is that the range issue is due to the controller's video feed rather than 2.4 or 5.8 wifi.

Line of sight is also very important, at around 100m going behind a tree will loose signal.

It's a truly selfie drone........... :(

No difference between 2.4 and 5.8? Guess I should try 2.4 with my phone to see if the problem in 2.4 is on the remote or the Spark. Not sure how that could happen though as its the same chip surely?

5.8G should be lower range because power is lower and propagation of wave will be worst. Theory.
In practice, with wifi you will be dependent on your surroundings. The default is 2.4G but is also the most used band, including Bluetooth devices. So often, at a given location, the default looks like 5.8G as 2.4G is very occupied. OTG cable and windsurfers antenna reflectors could be a way to improve range.

I agree but where I tried 2.4 recently there was no interference and it was still very choppy, I'll check to see how it goes with the new updates.

I agree but where I tried 2.4 recently there was no interference and it was still very choppy, I'll check to see how it goes with the new updates.
Then check for bluetooth devices. At least on your device, it must be disabled if you operate at 2.4G.

Reactions: Vilco
Yes, all BT off. I'll have to check again after updating to the latest version.

I'm out in the country and using an OTG cable and my phone on airplane mode I can do about 3000 feet using 5.8 ghz. Same setup but using 2.4 ghz I can get about 6000 feet before I lose signal. Without an OTG cable I was getting 2400 feet on the best days, 1600-2000 feet on average.

Do you notice any differences in quality in the live video feed between 5.8 and 2.4 ?

I tested again tonight after the most recent firmware update and using 5.8ghz and an OTG cable my video was cutting in and out with my spark within 200 feet of me. I also completely lost video when my battery got down to 20% which has never happened before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis