Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Way point Apps

Barbara

Join
Dec 25, 2018
Loc
Algoma District, North Shore, Ontario
Spark/drone newbie here.

I'm very interested in being able to use flight plans with my Spark. Researching this Forum I see there are a number of software.App solutions, Litchi and Flight Plan to name two. These also purport to support planning on a computer at home and somehow transferring the data to the drone. What I can't find, yet, are particulars on this process so I can determine if I can actually do it with my set up.

If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

My Hardware:
-Spark
-Remote controller
-IPhone with iOS 12.1.2
-PC running Windows 10 Home

No point complaining, wouldn't work anyway.

I have recently started using Litchi with my Spark. You plan a mission on the computer. Open mission in the iOS app (which you need to buy) and use that instead of DJI go 4. The app loads the instructions to the drone for you. There are lots of YouTube vids that explain and extensive help files on the litchi website.

I have recently started using Litchi with my Spark. You plan a mission on the computer. Open mission in the iOS app (which you need to buy) and use that instead of DJI go 4. The app loads the instructions to the drone for you. There are lots of YouTube vids that explain and extensive help files on the litchi website.

So if I fly with an iPad mini4 using the Litchi app, I will be able to use the mission planner on my home PC using Windows to plan a mission and then load that to the mini4?

Thanks for the responses. I think I get it now. My original thought was that there was software that one needed to DL to the PC and a hard connection to the drone to upload the route to it. (similar to what I do with my Garmin when planning motorcycle tours). It seems Litchi is completely cloud based in this aspect.

Only problem I can see, a lot of the places where I'll be flying an Internet connection won't be possible. (No cell service) Does a route stay in memory once downloaded?

B
No point worrying, wouldn't work anyway.

Playing around with DJI GS Pro V2 (ipad only app). Spark not listed as supported. The app is free if anyone wants to tryout waypoint missions.

B0392E46-B7DD-4E2C-986D-7E5BE3809DFC.png

Not flown the mission yet but waiting anxiously for sun to come out. The app is mainly for big brothers of spark but spark is the bravest. Not afraid of anything!

Tried it and it works, it flew the mission. I didnt do much though since only testing flight and I am new to waypoints. Scary on first flight. I set all points to fly at 15m altitude and saw the spark ascending beyond 15 meters. Panicked and started pressing buttons. Pause key on remote will pause mission and gives you controll back. I landed spark and checked waypoints. Some of the waypoints have different altitude. Allpoints setting dont work for points with parameter enabled. I switch to DJI GO4 app once the mission started. It treats the mission as a waypoint mission. It would be interesting to find out which app has the complete flight log from beginning to end.

Last edited:
I have used Litchi and AutoPilot for Waypoints

With Litchi, you can plan your Waypoint missions either in the app or on Mission Hub (computer). Once you have created a free Litchi account you can use the Mission Hub to plan and upload your missions to the App on your iPhone or you can do it in reverse as well (plan on iPhone and tweak in Hub). Litchi has LCMC (Lost Connection Mission Continuation). What this means is that if the Spark loses connection to the controller, it will continue and complete the mission. Litchi uses a familiar DJI-like interface (but better).

AutoPilot also does Waypoints but it is less user friendly but has way more features and options. It is more advanced software with a steeper learning curve. AutoPilot does not have LCMC so if it looses connection it will go into failsafe RTH. In AutoPilot you have to plan all of your missions on the device you are using, there is no 'Mission Hub' that you can use on the computer to plan with. AutoPilot uses a non-standard interface that takes a little getting used to.

Both apps are paid apps so read the documentation associated with each to determine if they are suitable for you.

One other point: Litchi has excellent customer support, AutoPilot not so much.

As a Flight app to run pre-programmed missions like WayPoints, I much prefer AutoPilot since you can make very specific customizations that will occur at each waypoint that are not possible in Litchi.

Good Luck with your choice.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme