Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What information do I need when calling airport

Mrmund

Join
Oct 28, 2017
I'm checking with you guys...
I'm going to be calling the ATC at a new airport I haven't flown at before and I know there's been some changes recently.
What info should I have prepared for them when I call?
Has the procedure changed since the new law?

Basically when calling ATC you should tell them who you are, where you are, the area you want to fly and for how long.

Now the new stuff.

The FAA Aviation re-Authorization Act cancelled section 336, basically the law that was supposed to give protections to hobbyists. Al though section 336 is no more, the Federal Aviation Regulation FAR 101.41 that put 336 into regulation is still there. Until the FAA places the new law into regulation, FAR 101.41 is still valid.

101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

When section "349" is put into the FARs (in some cases could be as quick as 180 days) the FARs will look something like this:

(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

Hope this helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar