Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

what is a "Special Use Airspace" anyway?!

Andrei

Join
Jan 4, 2019
Hi,
There is a special use airspace right over Edgewater Florida.
Airmap identifies it as "Special Use Airspace A294 (DAYTONA BEACH, FL)"
This special airspace makes no sense to me at all, see for yourself: (the special space is shown here blue with a yellow border)

How can I find out why this airspace has been classified as "special use"?
Thanks!

Very neat and interesting, thank you!

These charts look very pretty but unless you are fully flight trained they are gobbledegook. Absolutely not a criticism of you but a reminder to me to get my airline pilot son to take me through them!

Hi,
This special airspace makes no sense to me at all, see for yourself: (the special space is shown here blue with a yellow border)
View attachment 9834

Thanks!

That area is the flight training area for Patrick Air Force Base which is just to the south and supports the Cape Canaveral Air Force Base (immediately adjacent to this restricted zone). They don't want drones around while they practice dog fights and low altitude bombing runs.

Before it became heavily populated several areas in Central Florida were active bombing ranges. World War II pilots in training would drop live ordinance in the swamp and then take machine gun practice targeting ships beached on the reef. Divers and metal detectors can still find shell casings and lead just a few blocks from my house. Rarely an unexploded bomb will show up on the beach.

My local beach is actually closed right now because some mines and bombs have again resurfaced (see below).

That area is the flight training area for Patrick Air Force Base which is just to the south and supports the Cape Canaveral Air Force Base (immediately adjacent to this restricted zone). They don't want drones around while they practice dog fights and low altitude bombing runs.

With all due respect, I have lived in this area for 20 years now, and I never have seen anybody practice dogfights or low altitude bombing runs. In fact, this area is way too populated for that. Maybe that was the original reason for this special space, but nowadays I simply don't see any reason to keep this thing up.
Do you know if there is a number I can call at the FAA to ask them about that?
Or an email address?
I am really curious about this thing (which happens to cover a most beautiful part of the Intercoastal River, to my big regret!)

If I may suggest, learn as much as you can and even enough to pass the part 107 certification. You don’t need to pay the $150 to take the test. For $14 you can get a book that helps you study for the test. You will learn about airspace and many other things that help you be a better hobbyist pilot. The book comes with 5 online practice tests. Remote Pilot Test Prep 2019:... Remote Pilot Test Prep 2019: Study & Prepare: Pass your test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most trusted source in aviation training (Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781619546660: Amazon.com: Books

Reactions: matt48 and Andrei
With all due respect, I have lived in this area for 20 years now, and I never have seen anybody practice dogfights or low altitude bombing runs. In fact, this area is way too populated for that. Maybe that was the original reason for this special space, but nowadays I simply don't see any reason to keep this thing up.
Do you know if there is a number I can call at the FAA to ask them about that?
Or an email address?
I am really curious about this thing (which happens to cover a most beautiful part of the Intercoastal River, to my big regret!)

Patrick Air Force Base has been around since 1940 and that area is still a designated low altitude flight training area. I don't know how often it is used anymore or what sectors are active. Unfortunately the old timers that told me about the WWII training are long gone (great history lesson).

The FAA's phone number is right on the map but they aren't real talkative.

If I may suggest, learn as much as you can and even enough to pass the part 107 certification. You don’t need to pay the $150 to take the test. For $14 you can get a book that helps you study for the test. You will learn about airspace and many other things that help you be a better hobbyist pilot. The book comes with 5 online practice tests. Remote Pilot Test Prep 2019:... Remote Pilot Test Prep 2019: Study & Prepare: Pass your test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most trusted source in aviation training (Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781619546660: Amazon.com: Books

excellent advice, thank you, I ordered the book!

Hi,
View attachment 9834

Thanks!
do not fly in special use... you can fly within the outter layer of those circles thats 5 miles the smaller ones 2 miles you will need to contact the tower.. the red is a no fly zone.. that simple and if within 5 miles keep under 100 feet why planes fly at 10 stroies high aka 100 feet before landing and 2 miles out they drop down to 50 feet thats why you need permission... so fly 3 miles out and they will see you on radar but if you fly 80 feet up they cant say anything to you

My question was WHY this zone was special, not whether to ignore it or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme