Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What is the Highest in Altitude have you taken Mr. Spark?

We can only hope that the Spark Pilots that do need to fly above the clouds will utilize these great apps.
But with me... with the battery being what is, the hit or misss, of apps and the accidental hit or miss with other aircrafts literally:) a little voice tells me to stay below the radar. Less attention in this hobby is no attention.

For sure. Even when we're at decent altitudes it's nice to see what around. Besides i like looking at A380s flying over me. Those things are impressive

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
We can only hope that the Spark Pilots that do need to fly above the clouds will utilize these great apps

I don't have the brass you know whats lol. But I've been over 400 for a few minutes. And like directly above me. Flightradar24.com was a good resource at that time. Not to mention i had great airspace visibility around my location.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I don't have the brass you know whats lol. But I've been over 400 for a few minutes. And like directly above me. Flightradar24.com was a good resource at that time. Not to mention i had great airspace visibility around my location.
lol,
Yeah, never was much of a risk-taker. Only when the odds were leaning more in my favor. In this game, the FAA and DJI are holding all the cards. lol

You guys do know that if flying recreationally in the U.S. you are covered under section 336 and there is no altitude limitation? For some reason, a lot of people seem to think we are limited to 400ft. That is not the case, that is only if flying commercially under Part 107.
Not true. You must fly below 400 ft. The only exception for a residential drone user is if you are filming something. In that case you may fly 400ft above the object you're filming. For example when filming a skyscraper you may fly 400 feet above the top of the building.

If what you're saying about 107 is correct I believe the FAA's argument would be you can't fly a drone if it is not in your line of sight. With any weather 400ft would definitely put it out of line of sight

Rule #2 under 336 "kinda" says differently. I hate how vauge these rules are sometimes.

"(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-
based set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization"

I think it is generally accepted that the FAA is referring to the AMA, and that is where the 400 ft. "rule" comes from. Again, it's quite vauge and nowhere in the law does it directly mention a height limit. Also on the FAA's own website it calls things "drone safety tips" which doesn't clarify anything either.

That said, I'll be sticking with a 400 ft. ceiling, but won't bash anyone who goes above it.

Agreed that the AMA is the accepted CBO. However, the AMA does not have any limitations of 400ft. either. I do however agree, that 400ft is a good guideline. I just get annoyed when the "drone police" immediately start busting on people's video if they feel they are flying "illegally" lol.

Reactions: brycep and ZPFunk
Theres way too many things to consider for someone to say whats safe for everyone else, Theres parts of Phoenix where i could just about throw a rock and hit a Commercial Airplane as its coming in, but if I drive 45 min north I might not see another aircraft for hours, i think the FAA suggests those AMA rules to keep A holes from ruining it for everyone when they decide to take their drone up to get portraits of passengers aboard 747 through the window "say cheese". But theyre A-holes, so they dont care about those suggestions anyway, so were the only ones that rack our brains trying to walk the red tape in the end. I say learn as much as you can to cover your butt, use your best judgement to make the call, and be prepared to not only accept the rewards, but to own the consequences as well, and have fun pushing it to the limit.

... but dont quote me on this.

Agreed that the AMA is the accepted CBO. However, the AMA does not have any limitations of 400ft. either. I do however agree, that 400ft is a good guideline. I just get annoyed when the "drone police" immediately start busting on people's video if they feel they are flying "illegally" lol.
Your right! The only reference to a 400 ft. ceiling I can find in any of my AMA stuff and the stuff online is that you must fly below 400 ft. within 3 miles of an airport.

Have we seen the "guidelines" from the FAA so often that we just accept them as rules, when there is no legal ground for some of them, as a hobby flyer? I'll probably never go above 400 anyway, but it's nice to have learned that I probably could. Thanks for pointing this out!

Reactions: ZPFunk
33,000 feet...as checked luggage. :p

We are not supposed to check LiPo batteries.
Always in your carry on.
That way if the battery combusts, the flight crew can extinguish.
Can't do that in the cargo hold.
It is the airline's guidelines not the TSA.

Reactions: ZPFunk and Tilak
We are not supposed to check LiPo batteries.
Always in your carry on.
That way if the battery combusts, the flight crew can extinguish.
Can't do that in the cargo hold.
It is the airline's guidelines not the TSA.

Yes.
I know that.

The post was a witty joke.

I suppose one could say the Spark set a distance and speed record too... as responsibly checked luggage. :p

My guess is that the 400' rule arises from adding a 100' cushion to the FAR prohibiting flight within 500 feet of any person or building, But beware the long distance light plane beating a headwind. In my aircraft, a Beech Bonanza, I flew for hours crossing uninhabited rural southern pinelands, or western plains low enough to read road signs.

Like a bird, a Spark is almost impossible for an aircraft driver to "see and avoid".

With early enough warning, however, a Spark would generally be able to maneuver out of the way of an approaching aircraft in much the same way birds do, by diving.

With either an acoustical or ADS B receiver, such warning may be provided.

Mine was 214m with the RC and 50m without RC when flying at the field open area. But can only reached 95m max around the building area. My sparky always lost signal even at the lower alt which I don't know why.

I have no idea what I did but suddenly I managed to get to max alt (500m) yesterday at the same place/same spot where the previous record was just 240m. Funnily, I could easily lost my signal when flying 100m away even at the 20m altitude. Seriously this drone really unpredictable and so inconsistence. Maybe It's time for me to move to Mavic air I guess. Screenshot_20180416-094927.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis