Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where (edited by Moderator) can I fly in the UK !!!

Rammers1975

Join
Dec 9, 2018
Loc
Hertfordshire UK
This is more a post for Uk spark fliers where do you fly ????

My council says No to all parks , even a local non council land says No flying ?!! I may as well sell it or just say sod it as there are no signs at the entrance or any parks that state No Drones . If a park has rules no dogs off leash , no ball games etc it should list no drones . I am fed up

I use common sense. If there’s no one around I’ll fly where I want. I’ve flown at my local beach in a forest, basically anywhere I choose. Don’t be put off by daft buggers telling, you can’t fly here sonny. Enjoy yourself.

Agree. I live in Bristol and the Downs are my best place but at weekends the area is full of walkers and dogs so I either look for holes in the walkers (so to speak) or pop up during a weekday. The Severn Estuary is also close with nice paths to walk and weekdays are good but perhaps you work so weekdays are difficult. Hope this helps-even though you don’t live in Bristol.

Reactions: Rammers1975
There are clear published rules about where to fly in each country. The advice from some contributors of this forum is nothing short of reckless. Obey the law and we can all carry on enjoying our hobby without further stringent regulation.

There are clear published rules about where to fly in each country. The advice from some contributors of this forum is nothing short of reckless. Obey the law and we can all carry on enjoying our hobby without further stringent regulation.

Why [Language removed by Moderator] did you pick this hobby if you are never going to fly your drones.
If you use common sense and don't hurt anyone fly where you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fortunate enough to live on the coast, miles of empty beaches. If I encounter people I just fly somewhere else, I have never had a single complaint. But have had many people show interest and even requests to check out roofs, gutters ect.!

Reactions: Rammers1975
Guys if you are unsure about the limitations of flying you need to look at the 'Drone code' it tells you basically that you are limited to altitude (from the surface) of 400ft (120m). Keep it in line of site but either way within 500m out from you MAX. Don't fly within 150m of congested areas or big events (1000 people or more) and stay 50 metres away from people, structure s, vessels and vehicles you have no control over. You can fly 50 metres over people should they arrive along a path in an open space fro example but try and avoid directly over head.
What I've outlined here is for hobbyists. Slight differences once you get commercial permission to fly (pfco) but if you have that you will already know all this.
Hope this helps. [emoji106]

Reactions: Neebuz
Also avoid aerodromes and military places. Download' UAV forecast' it is free, gives you a flying summary of whether you are good to go on one page and helps highlight restricted areas.

Guys if you are unsure about the limitations of flying you need to look at the 'Drone code' it tells you basically that you are limited to altitude (from the surface) of 400ft (120m). Keep it in line of site but either way within 500m out from you MAX. Don't fly within 150m of congested areas or big events (1000 people or more) and stay 50 metres away from people, structure s, vessels and vehicles you have no control over. You can fly 50 metres over people should they arrive along a path in an open space fro example but try and avoid directly over head.
What I've outlined here is for hobbyists. Slight differences once you get commercial permission to fly (pfco) but if you have that you will already know all this.
Hope this helps. [emoji106]

Thank you for the last post it’s not a matter of what you said above I have done this always ... my issue was if you listen to the responses I got from councils etc they were not even allowing take off to even get me to do the above ... I guess I will just have to take that risk and hope no jobs worth approaches me from the local authorities

Thank you for the last post it’s not a matter of what you said above I have done this always ... my issue was if you listen to the responses I got from councils etc they were not even allowing take off to even get me to do the above ... I guess I will just have to take that risk and hope no jobs worth approaches me from the local authorities

I did the right thing and asked about the rules that was all in regards to council land

As you say common sense. Not saying that I am any more gifted with common sense than the next guy but having flown my drone for a year now all these points are really well made-especially popping Spark up to a decent height from TO. I flew over a lot of walkers a couple of weeks ago and no one was any the wiser. I still had fun but didn’t attract attention. Really good video thanks for posting it.

I fly down at the beach a few yards from my home. I am lucky. If you have nothing like that there are a number of things you can do. Firstly ask the council for a copy of the regulations that they say prevent you from flying. I doubt there will be any. The CAA govern flights so you can fly over parks but not take off and land there. Second get yourself an OS map and look around for empty spaces, disused area or buildings, even private land that someone may let you use. Meantime get your self a simulator and get some stick time there.
It would be helpful if you gave us a rough idea of where you are living so we could give more specific advice. But like others have said, always fly legally and safely.

Another vote for "anywhere you want" (EXCEPT near airports). Just be sensible. The Spark is small and your flight time is short. So do your thing, then get home and enjoy your video. :)

I agree with everyone else! Common sense is the key.. I fly my drone wherever I feel I can safely and without gathering too much attention. If I see a blatant sign then I probably won’t fly it but I have no problems getting in the car and driving to a suitable location either.. I think we are really lucky here in the UK as we have lots of lovely scenery within an hours drive or so of anywhere!! Don’t let anything put you off flying it and engaging in such a cool hobby..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme