Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where to fly in Boston

Lancelot

Join
Aug 7, 2017
Loc
Netherlands
Hi there,
Its been a long time since I last post here, a lot has been going on (became dad) so very little time the last couple of months. I am in Boston for business and had my spark with me, so I really want to fly the spark! (I am from europe with the 500m range, really wants to try out the extra range!)
From what I have researched so far, it is not possible to fly in Boston anywhere near the city centre.
Is airmap reliable? and do I need to interpret it as such that anything in yellow is no go? Meaning for example that Harvard university (just outside the yellow circle) is ok to fly?
Do you have recommended place to have a great fly while I am in Boston?
If it is not ok to post like this or if it is better to start a thread in the local subforum, pls let me know.
Thanks beforehand!

So unfortunately Boston is not drone friendly since Logan airport is near downtown that's puts almost all of Boston proper with the Class B airspace, as Boston has very specific and strict drone was even for most of the open areas which most are considered parks and are no fly as well and then add things like Fenway park which is a no fly zone during games days & nights which happens to be this entire week. You would have to go either 5-10 miles north/west or south to find anyplace that would allow you to fly. I live 15 mile north and have some great areas to fly such as Lynn Woods area. but Boston proper is next to impossible. Wish you the best and safe flying if you find someplace.

Can someone confirm that area left of Harvard is ok to fly?

Hi Northwood, thank you so much! yes you meant the darker yellow right? But the area right where it says “Harvard university” should be ok then?

You need to verify because i would agree Airmap shows that area you reference is ok, but Boston/Harvard have their own regulations that supersede anything from you see in Airmap app. Just a word of caution.

You guys are correct, it is not allowed for third party, unless part of hobby club sanctioned by university. https://vpr.harvard.edu/files/ovpr-test/files/uav_policy_12-2017.pdf
However, i just need a short footage, so I think I will stick by the water (near the charles bridge), and have a short flight there (mostly will be aerial view, so not going further to boston center)
Or any other area you guys recommend to have a shot of Boston city - from not too far away?

Just downloaded B4UFLY app and I have to notify all the small heliports as well? And the range of Logan airport is also much bigger that the area I mentioned above is now within the restricted area.

Heliports are always something of a sore spot / grey area. There doesn't seem to be any good app to even know where they are - there's a lot of them in the app that don't really exist. The example I like to use is right near my house there was a naval hospital that shut down decades ago, the entire building is physically gone, but it's still in the databases as a heliport.

re: Logan, I don't know that area that well, the simplified rule for recreational drone operators is to contact the tower if you're within 5 miles. The actual airspace from a big airport like that is this complicated three dimensional shape...

FYI regarding heliports. Mass General Hospital as well As Beth Iseral Hospital both have very busy medflights. I would say maybe up to 4-5 per day if not more so again Boston is just one of those though areas to fly a drone. Not drone friendly go 30min outside of city and West/North or South and the entire area opens up. But downtown proper is just almost always a no fly zone. I never even bother and I am only 20min away I instead head north and find plenty of airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme