Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where to Fly US! (New Site)

Scott White

Join
Jan 20, 2018
Loc
Grovetown, Georgia USA
Hey folks. One of the biggest issues I have run into being a new Spark Pilot (or UAS in general) is WHERE I can fly. Of course we have the CFR Part 107 (in the US) for the FAA Guidelines and prudent pilots would search for local regulations and ordinances. But I could find no site that would allow you and I to search be specific location.

Well that site still doesn't exist but its getting close. Here comes Where To Fly US!

I can't build it by myself. I need help. I don't make any money off of it (it costs me money) but would love for you to jump in and start working on in so we have a country wide resource for flying. I NEED MODERATORS!!!

2018-02-10%2010_08_08-Where%20To%20Fly%20USA%20ndash%20Where%20To%20Fly%20USA_zpsa1iqf8du.jpg

ADMINISTRATORS: If this post is outside of your policies I apologize in advance, please delete it.

Reactions: czechmark
Hi Scott,

I think this is a fantastic idea. While I use apps like Kittyhawk to check no fly zones, what I'm really interested in knowing is where there are places like parks (such as the one you posted in Georgia) that people have actually flown at and had good experiences with OR locations with great scenery that folks have flown a drone (and are of course allowed and not in a no fly zone).

For instance, I wanted to fly my drone in Michigan at a place called Lumberman's Monument overlooking the AuSable river. However, the park rangers rightfully pointed out it's a national monument area so not allowed. But they told me of a location in a STATE forest about 10 miles away overlooking the river. Here's a photo that I took with my Spark there.

I have also found "out of the way" locations in places like Rapid City South Dakota and outside Phoenix (in state forests - basically anywhere BUT a national park or just outside of it) that I would love to have known about from other drone operators (and happy to share my experience). Is this what you are thinking? We could post pictures such as these and maps of our locations with any comments?

Thanks,

DonAuSable River (Spark) October 2017.jpg

You absolutely can. I see that you have already registered. If you don't see a particular state listed (just mine probably for now, Georgia) please let me know on the site. I'll add a forum. Even BETTER if you can moderate it like your home state. Thank you for the kind words!

I would love it if folks could promote the site more as well. I will be starting a FB page soon.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

I think this is a fantastic idea. While I use apps like Kittyhawk to check no fly zones, what I'm really interested in knowing is where there are places like parks (such as the one you posted in Georgia) that people have actually flown at and had good experiences with OR locations with great scenery that folks have flown a drone (and are of course allowed and not in a no fly zone).

For instance, I wanted to fly my drone in Michigan at a place called Lumberman's Monument overlooking the AuSable river. However, the park rangers rightfully pointed out it's a national monument area so not allowed. But they told me of a location in a STATE forest about 10 miles away overlooking the river. Here's a photo that I took with my Spark there.

I have also found "out of the way" locations in places like Rapid City South Dakota and outside Phoenix (in state forests - basically anywhere BUT a national park or just outside of it) that I would love to have known about from other drone operators (and happy to share my experience). Is this what you are thinking? We could post pictures such as these and maps of our locations with any comments?

Thanks,

DonView attachment 3591

Love that shot

Hey folks. One of the biggest issues I have run into being a new Spark Pilot (or UAS in general) is WHERE I can fly. Of course we have the CFR Part 107 (in the US) for the FAA Guidelines and prudent pilots would search for local regulations and ordinances. But I could find no site that would allow you and I to search be specific location.

Well that site still doesn't exist but its getting close. Here comes Where To Fly US!

I can't build it by myself. I need help. I don't make any money off of it (it costs me money) but would love for you to jump in and start working on in so we have a country wide resource for flying. I NEED MODERATORS!!!

2018-02-10%2010_08_08-Where%20To%20Fly%20USA%20ndash%20Where%20To%20Fly%20USA_zpsa1iqf8du.jpg

ADMINISTRATORS: If this post is outside of your policies I apologize in advance, please delete it.

Hi Scott,
I applaud you for undertaking what might be a daunting task.
After watching many videos and reading articles I became interested and decided
to acquire a SPARK for recreational purposes. There are no shortages of various pieces of information on how to fly, film videos, how to do this, that and everything else.
However, information on where one can fly “legally” is almost impossible to find.
Flying around your personal property ( unless you own a large scenic parcel of land) or in your kitchen quickly becomes monotonous. The alternative in flying around non approved locations as long as you avoid getting caught is not a solution!
I currently reside in the New York metropolitan area and contacted many local municipalities
with no success. I believe I would face less resistance obtaining approval to transport nuclear waste.
I understand all the possible concerns and ramifications of flying a drone, however, short of traveling to a remote dessert, I would like to believe that some designated areas could allow recreational flying.

Again wishing you luck and If I discover any authorized flying areas I will gladly post to your site.
Thanks
Jeff

You absolutely can. I see that you have already registered. If you don't see a particular state listed (just mine probably for now, Georgia) please let me know on the site. I'll add a forum. Even BETTER if you can moderate it like your home state. Thank you for the kind words!

I would love it if folks could promote the site more as well. I will be starting a FB page soon.
Hi Scott,
I agree that this is a great idea and I will post New Jersey links as I locate them. Have you cosidered membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics? Academy of Model Aeronautics There are a number of benefits including crash and liability insurance. Many local clubs also have access to areas where you can fly - looks like there are three clubs in the Grovetown ZIP area.
Good luck with your effort!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef