Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why is Cloud Cover a stopper

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi all. Anyone explain why the attached UAV6BB717E6-699D-47AA-8CE8-DF3FC1C23ACA.png cloud cover prediction throughout the day should deliver a Not Good To Fly advisory? All the other indicators for most of the day say OK and I’m itching to fly-we’ve had strong winds for the last 2 weeks.

First of all, let me tell you that you can manually set the threshold for each of these parameters in settings. I don't remember the default threshold for cloud cover but you can set it at say, 90% and then the app will tell you that it is good to fly in this particular case after 17:00 hours.
Now coming to your question, cloud cover can mainly affect two things.
1. Visibility
2. GPS reception
Hence the "Not Good to Fly" warning when it is high.

Having said that, I have flown in days with similar cloud cover and faced no issues. So basically it is upto the pilot to make the final judgement and as I explained before, you can set your custom threshold for each parameter and not just depend on default settings.

Last edited:
First of all, let me tell you that you can manually set the threshold for each of these parameters in settings. I don't remember the default threshold for cloud cover but you can set it at say, 90% and then the app will tell you that it is good to fly in this particular case after 17:00 hours.
1. Visibility
2. GPS reception

Having said that, I have flown in days with similar cloud cover and faced no issues. So basically it is upto the pilot to make the final judgement and as I explained before, you can set your custom threshold for each parameters and not just depend on default settings.
Thanks. Have to say I forgot you could do a manual but nothing beats good judgement.

1. Visibility
2. GPS reception

Having said that, I have flown in days with similar cloud cover and faced no issues. So basically it is upto the pilot to make the final judgement and as I explained before, you can set your custom threshold for each parameter and not just depend on default settings.
Hell, where I know of, in the USA cloud cover means nothing. Drones are in and out of clouds all the time here, and many on top going from 10,000 ft and much higher. Their philosophy is as long as people can tie 100 helium balloons and release them for an event, these balloons can get to 10,000 ft.. I would rather have my plane hit a drone than a myriad of balloons sucked up into my my engine compressors, shutting an engine down. A drone won't do that. The faa is a joke. They allowed boeing to examine and approve their own airwothiness certifications. Omg. Really. Now 737 max 8 aircraft are grounded. Who is responsible for the murder of almost 600 people approving unworthy aircraft to fly. First the government officials who changed the rules cuz their too busy allowing Boeing personally to those who approved the aircraft to fly knowing it would crash. So the government employees and Boeing personnel approved their own aircraft to crash. I would think that at least several decision makers should be imprisoned for life! Almost 600 people were killed and no accountability? They should focus on real airplanes than our drones!

Reactions: windryder and Miket
Cloud Cover does not effect GPS reception...if it did 9 Zillion airliners would be grounded.
Some clouds are pretty dry and some are pretty wet...and as many have discovered..some have rocks in them..

Cloud Cover does not effect GPS reception...if it did 9 Zillion airliners would be grounded.
Some clouds are pretty dry and some are pretty wet...and as many have discovered..some have rocks in them..
the only risk that one takes going in the clouds or heavy fog as your drone will take a bath I tried it one time punching through 200 ft of overcast to catch the sunrise on top of the clouds I did and it was great pictures being on top but then coming back down by the time it landed it was dripping wet so be careful going through clouds or fog they get very very wet

Thank you. I sort of worked that out but have never dared to fly in fog.

the only risk that one takes going in the clouds or heavy fog as your drone will take a bath I tried it one time punching through 200 ft of overcast to catch the sunrise on top of the clouds I did and it was great pictures being on top but then coming back down by the time it landed it was dripping wet so be careful going through clouds or fog they get very very wet

Having lost my Spark in thick mud by our big river and coaxed it back to life I shall not be experimenting with cloud breaking right now! Thank you though.

My son is one of those 9 Zillion jet jockeys and he sends me fantastic pix from his office. All of them better than my drone shots!

Reactions: Spark 317
It's a fact that clouds can affect GPS reception.
High density and electrically charged clouds.
Even aviation Garmin GNS can loose 3 db of signal.
And other phenomenon as solar storms and "flock"
of space particules in the Ionosphere can briefly
affect.

It's a fact that clouds can affect GPS reception.
High density and electrically charged clouds.
Even aviation Garmin GNS can loose 3 db of signal.
And other phenomenon as solar storms and "flock"
of space particules in the Ionosphere can briefly
affect.
Good to know thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers